VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When asked the stupid question, "How do you get enough protein?" what do you usually rebuttal with? My husband is partaking in a Pescetarianism diet and I have been vegan for a total of about 5 days. He is getting really tired of people asking these stupid questions, as am I. I know it's just something you have to live with, but I want him to be able to knock them out of their shoes. I'm thinking about referring people to look up a Gary Yourofsky speech next time they ask me a question like that.

Anyway, sorry if this question has been asked before. Thanks.

·
Registered
908 Posts
"From popping twenty protein pills a day and drinking nothing but shakes."

Seriously though, start rattling off the list of vegan protein sources. It's simple, to the point, non-offensive and answers their question thoroughly. Works for me.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

"From popping twenty protein pills a day and drinking nothing but shakes."

Seriously though, start rattling off the list of vegan protein sources. It's simple, to the point, non-offensive and answers their question thoroughly. Works for me.
That sounds good to me. I usually just say "From everywhere" or "From plants!" and then rattle off a bunch of plant based protein sources, and I also explain that your average person gets too much protein which can actually be bad for your health.

If someone asks you the question online, just send them this link: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/protein So much information!

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
"I eat a varied diet of whole foods that includes beans, greens, grains, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. I track my nutrition on a daily basis and average around 100g of protein a day, which is well within the recommended range."

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
"First of all, the majority of Americans eat too much protein. Secondly, eating a variety of veggies, beans, and grains provides all the protein I need."

I also have a shirt that says "Yes, I get enough protein."

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The second annoying question like this I get from people do you pray over your food? If so you can eat animal protein. I get so angry when people asks me that and anything to with Protein and also Iron.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulveglady View Post

The second annoying question like this I get from people do you pray over your food? If so you can eat animal protein. I get so angry when people asks me that and anything to with Protein and also Iron.
What? I've never heard that one. What do they mean by that?

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystick_moonstone View Post

When asked the stupid question, "How do you get enough protein?" what do you usually rebuttal with?
If the person asking is female, I usually say "you're such an unpleasant witch that I'm going to call the cops on you and they'll arrest you just for being yourself"

If male, it's usually "you're an obnoxious man-whore who, in virtue of my memory of you alone, will ruin all my future lunches".

Well, at least that's what I say when I'm in a better mood and enjoy talking to people.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I think "where do you get your protein?" is probably the question we veg*ans get asked most often. Just say that you eat a healthy, balanced diet and that there is enough protein in all the plants you eat to satisfy all your daily protein requirements.

And sequoia, I want that T-shirt!

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
If you answer with enough confidence, that should be enough. Just list the protein sources you eat. Maybe you can educate them as well! "Beans, peanut butter, whole grains, soy products, etc..."

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ugh, I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that. I swear it's just a knee jerk reaction when they don't know what else to say. I usually start by asking them if they know how much protein humans actually need every day. So far, no one has known answer. Then I tell them that you can get all the protein you need by eating a plant based diet and I rattle off some examples.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys for the imformative, sometimes awesomely sarcastic remarks. I whole-heartedly appreciate it!

·
Registered
963 Posts
It is annoying but a lot of people ask that question out of a genuine concern for your health. The meat industry has convinced most americans that without dead animals you couldn't possibly get enough protein. The sarcastic remarks are a lot more fun but if you think the question is genuine and not snarky I would try to use it as a chance to educate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.