VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learnt not long ago that a dog breeder may be moving into a house in my street.

We all know that god breeders are no help to the problem at all, but I dont want to become 'that wack at the end of the street'. How, if the subject comes up, how do I politely tell them that their (livelihood?) is making millions suffer?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Why is it your business in the first place what the people do down at the end of your street? Just because it goes against some things that you believe in?

Yes there are a lot of abandonded and stray animals out there but does that now mean that the only pet or maybe even "specialized working animal" that people are allowed to have is one that is adopted from a rescue shelter?

This whole holier than thou attitude that many AR people have takes the cake when you decide that you have to tell people how to live their lives. It's ok to concentrate on your own. Maybe we should tell you what kind of vehicle you can drive or where you have to live or what kind of animal companion you can have??

There is nothing wrong with someone that breeds dogs responsibly.

Jeffer

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I know next to nothing about the subject, but...

There's a difference between "deciding that you have to tell people how to live their lives" and stating your opinion, when asked ("if the subject comes up").

I don't think Mr. A. has a holier than thou attitude here. He said "if the subject comes up, how do I politely tell them...".

Yes we live in democracies. But this also means you can have strong opinions about a subject and you are allowed to say them.

Go for it Mr. Alpaca!

·
Registered
0 Posts
hey mr alpaca,

i would avoid the topic - if it is mentioned just say that if you ever bought a dog u would get a rescue dog. that way ur not saying u aprove or disaprove. if you follow that with changing the subject they will probably get the hint that it isnt summin you wanna talk about

good luck

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Oatmeal. But I really should have worded my post better.

I cant help interacting with these people, and I dont want to impress my views on them, but I can, when or if, the subject comes up, express an opinion.

And to dismiss your "holier than thou" attitude you have placed on me, I readily admit that I have brought from animal breeders (horse/chicken you name it.)

As I said, I dont want to alienate myself from them, or even start a debate. I just want to state an opinion.(and again only IF the subject comes up.)

·
Registered
0 Posts
I make it a point to let everyone know that all my dogs and cats are rescued animals, including the purebred ones. (And my two purebred dogs weren't sought out by me because they were purebred--they just happen to be purebred. Actually, I didn't even seek them out--quite the contrary!) I also let people know, when the subject comes up, how many animals are killed in the shelters in our area every year, and that I am a strong proponent of spay/neuter for this very reason.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Sorry there Alpaca. I was to swift to type. I didn't read between the lines.

I just get tired of people doing things like that. I guess you could say it's the equivalent to someone like me coming here and saying something like "Meat is great".

My point is this as you likely already know. You can't lump all breeders into one group. There are good and bad ones just as there is good and bad in everything.

Find out what they are all about.

Jeffer

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know too well where you are coming from, Jeffer. I post on a few Hunter/Deer info sites, when the norm hunter response is 'go f*** some animals, you anti-hunter s***head'

and so on and so forth.

and thanks for the input everyone.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have some issues pertaining to traditions with certain dog breeds. Docking tails , ears etc ... or even the fact that some female dogs don't want to mate with the chosen male and are thus restrained so they can't get away. I find these are actions I couldn't do myself so I don't agree with.

I won't go so far as to say that the whole idea of raising dogs is evil. I think many dogs have genuinely excellent lives. I just feel certain traditions with some breeds are things I would never do myself.

Of course some breeds have very questionable aspects supporting their breeding ... greyhounds meant for racing for example.

I don't think it's really something you should purposefully go down there and knock on their door and confront them about

When stating your opinion (if it ever arises) you should use words like "some dog breeders" do this or that (not all dog breeders).

There are of course humans who breed and totally mistreat their human offspring. There are some dog breeders who treat their dogs far superior to how these human breeders treat their human offspring
... labelling all humans who have children as wrong would be ... well ... wrong

You could object to the whole idea of breeding dogs from a philosophical point of view. What more can you do but explain (if the situation arises) that while you understand they may treat their dogs nicely , you still object to the concept of humans controlling certain animals in any manner due to your own philosophical reasons.

What kindof dogs do they have anyway?

I personally find certain aspects of private and responsible dog breeding in a controlled manner to be a superior idea to pet stores and the like. Many people pay large sums of money for a dog (if you object to the concept of 'ownership' of another living being from a philosophical point of view, consider the payment "money for supporting the dog and being the caretaker
... the Universe owns us all in the end anyway) . Many of these people are not the types to give $1000 to a breeder so they can then mistreat a dog or tie them out on short leashes in hot summer sun without shade.

Anyway , just some thoughts

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
If ever need be, I would only say I prefer to adopt homeless animals. It doesn't need to go further than that. I think if you want to be a positive influence on anyone, keeping the relationship as non-confrontational and amiable as possible is the only way. Get to be friends with them, share their love of dogs, maybe they will take an interest in your vegetarian and grow to respect your opinion and ask you for it. Until I was in an open, honest close relationship, and they askes for myopinion, I wouldn't declare any moral condemnation however polite of their livelihood.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What Does a animal BREEDER do when they move far far away or does't want to have animals anymore?,

Forcing animals to breed to sell there puppies is wrong there is lot's of bad breeders out there who don't even like dogs and other animals and just want to make them have babies for the money what happens if a greedy breeders female dog has trouble having birth will they give up a couple K's for her and the pup's it's sad but some people don't and just leave them there to die I have seen it before

on Animal Planet and it's really sad. These bad breeders have bulldogs, poodles,chihuahuas, maltese, pibulls, many many dogs in a little trailor and it's too late when the spca finds out about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts