VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some bulk TVP last night (IT WAS SO CHEAP) but now I'm rather at a loss for how to cook it...! It doesn't help that I have very little food in the house right now. (Soy sauce seems crucial in most of the recipes, and I haven't got any. Won''t have a chance to shop for a few more days.)

If you've got any TVP-based recipes that can be made with minimal ingedients, I'd love to hear them. Or if you just want to share your favorite recipes overall, I can use them as guidelines for my next shopping trip!
Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
do you happen to have the cookbook Vegan comfort food? She has multiple recipes for TVP in that cookbook. I especially like the sloppy joes made with TVP.
to reconstitute, bring 1 cup of water to a boil, usually with some soy sauce in it, and add 1 cup of TVP, cover, and turn the burner off. After about 5 minutes, just fluff it up, then it's ready to use. It's too late now to try to type out some recipes, but I'll check tomorrow if I can.

Here's 4 tvp recipes from Vegetarian TImes http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recip.../?keywords=tvp
here's allrecipes list of tvp recipes under vegetarian listing, some maybe vegan...http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes...p&SearchIn=h87

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy, awesome suggestions!! I'm so antsy to go grocery shopping now.

Edit: I just rehydrated some TVP. I simmered together water, salt, fresh ground better, pepper, garlic and onion poweder, a little bit of Italian seasoning, several tablespoons of barbeque sauce, and a shake of mesquite seasoning. Its nnnnggGGHhhhhh so good. I think I'll make meatballs.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
no,it's very bland if you try eating it by itself. Definately needs some stronger flavors. It's really more of a texture additive.

are you looking for vegetarian or vegan recipes?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. T View Post

Basic Vegan Ground Beef

I also throw some in this taco soup. I don't even reconstitute it. Just throw a cup in, dry, while everything is cooking.
I probably should have clarified that I do add a cup of water to the soup along with the dry tvp. That way, it reconstitutes in the pot without soaking up too much of the original liquids.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
I like to make American Chop Suey with it. It's just the reconstituted TVP cooked in canned tomatoes and sauce with onions and garlic and maybe some Italian seasoning, a little salt and some pepper. Cook a pound of elbow macaroni, drain, and mix with the TVP mixture, heat through, and you're done.

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Tacos. You can even use those packets of taco seasoning from the supermarket (although you'd wanna check the ingredient list - I could see them having junk you wouldn't want in 'em). Perfect 'no-cook' meal - boil water, mix in taco seasoning and TVP, presto!, tacos. Just scoop it up with chips and you don't even have to mess around with shells.

I wouldn't eat like this every day, but for those days when boiling water is just about all I can manage ... Haven't used TVP in ages, but back when I did ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.