VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you first became a vegetarian or vegan, what did you do with the food you had in your fridge or cabinet that you didn't want to eat anymore? My husband and I are trying to go to a mostly vegan diet, and I have some meat and food with some dairy in it still. I don't want to throw it out because that is just waste, but I don't really want to eat it either. So! What did you do?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I had some cheese left in the fridge when I decided to move from vegetarian to vegan, I threw it out. I felt a bit guilty for being wasteful, but to me it was more wrong for me to eat it.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I didn't have that problem because the rest of my family still eats meat (but my mum has gone veg since
).

Anyway, I'd give it to friends if I were you, or perhaps donate it to a food shelter. (Not sure what it's called in English, the kind of place that gives out food to the homeless.) Or maybe if you know a place where a homeless person always sits, treat him to a bag of food?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I gave it away.

My logic was that the items had already been purchased, and by giving it to another person I could prevent a future purchase.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
When I went vegan, I probably had a few items with traces of dairy in them. I had long ago stopped eating dairy as a whole but would buy stuff that was not 100% vegan such as soy or rice cheeses that are not vegan. I used them up. Meat I hadn't eaten in years.

I'd try and give the meat away. If you can't is there at least a pet or a family members pet that could eat it?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Options:
Give it to a friend or neighbor
Feed to to your pets
Donate it to a homelesss shelter/ soup kitchen
Throw it away/ compost it

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Options:
Give it to a friend or neighbor
Feed to to your pets
Donate it to a homelesss shelter/ soup kitchen
Throw it away/ compost it
Donating it to a shelter or soup kitchen is a good idea, but make sure you can in your country/area.
My family and I have worked for various non-profit companies for years.
You are required to accept all donations, even if they are going in the dumpster.
Food that is going to be fed to real live human beings must be prepared in accordance with the law.
Ever been in a soup kitchen? Notice how its run just like a restaurant? Dairy and eggs stored at certain temperatures, wash stations, etc... If you bring food to a soup kitchen that you made yourself, or its an open package, they'll accept it with a smile, but its going in the trash.
Always call and ask before you donate.

***You can always ask a church pastor if there's a family in his/her parish that could use some free food. You could maybe arrange a meeting and pass the food over.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Cook a casserole or something using the non-vegan ingredients and give it to a neighbor or someone you know who is going through a hard time.

·
Banned
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

I gave it away.

My logic was that the items had already been purchased, and by giving it to another person I could prevent a future purchase.
That's exactly what I did with mine as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone!! All great ideas!!
I would have normally given it to my parents but my mom is trying to eat vegan to so no go! (Good for us though!)

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Yes, all great ideas. I didn't have that problem because my strategy was not to go cold tofurky but to taper off my omni diet. I'd finish what I had and when it was all gone, poof! I was officially a vegetarian.

by the way, Kjesta, in English the phrases would be food bank and food pantry.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Gave away unopened things, threw away some things that were almost gone anyway. My friends were college students at the time, so they were all very open to free food.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

Yes, all great ideas. I didn't have that problem because my strategy was not to go cold tofurky but to taper off my omni diet. I'd finish what I had and when it was all gone, poof! I was officially a vegetarian.

by the way, Kjesta, in English the phrases would be food bank and food pantry.
This is what I did as well. Although, I originally went vegetarian for health and not ethical reasons, so it was easier for me. I could understand this being a difficult option if your reasons are ethical.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I kept it... And just gave it to my friends and family when they came over.
I think I might need to throw feed some of this stuff to the dog soon or to the birds though.... Nobody wants the sardines.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The US Post Office is doing a food collection this Saturday. I have a bag with some chicken stock, soups, tuna, etc. that is ready to go. You can just leave non-perishable food in a bag by your mailbox and they will pick it up. It doesn't get much easier than that!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiegirl View Post

My husband and I are trying to go to a mostly vegan diet, and I have some meat and food with some dairy in it still.
Give the animal a proper burial and moment of silence.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.