VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that one of my cat has hair missing at her neck area. I thought that she had a fight with another one and it got ripped out. But now I looked at the pictures made last wednesday and I saw that she had it then as well. I didn't notice it because of all the other hair around it which kind of covers it unless one really looks there.

I think that if it was a fight wound it would have healed by now. and they never hurt each other this way (although she did get bher nose scratched once). Could it be something else? Something serious?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Have you checked her for fleas?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

no, but she is an indoor cat. she wouldn't get them then, right?
Hmm...I would think not. There's also ringworm, but if she's indoors I don't know how'd she pick that up either. If you pull on the hair around the patch without hair, does it come out easily?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I most likely will go to the vet on monday. in case it is anything from this site, it is hard for me to figure it out on my own

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Did you put ointment on it? If there's a possibility that it's a fight wound if it's infected it wouldn't have healed within the week. I had a cat who had something like that but on his neck/cheek area, and I left it but it didn't go away. I called his vet and they said triple antibitotic human ointment is fine, so I put that on once or twice a day and it immediately got better. His had gotten swollen, a little bit smaller than a golf ball on his cheek because it was a bigger wound, and within a day the swelling was completely gotten and I saw that it was a patch of fur ripped out that caused it to start swelling after getting infected, and I put the ointment on for another half week and the wound healed quickly and had a small patch of new fur already by the end of the week.

Can you post a picture of it so we can be able to better see the skin?

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have ointment now. And I can't post a picture...The one I have won't really help to figure out what it is, because it is not a close up, one just sees a dark dot among white fur, and she doesn'ty let me to get a close up, I would need someone to hold her. I will definetly tell updates after I see ther vet (or if it just heals before monday)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
If you put a flea treatment on their neck some of them the cat can be allergic to and he/she will get a rash or scratch it a lot. If so, change to another brand.

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
My kitty has a hairless ring around her neck...has had it for 15 years. I attributed it to her wearing a collar when she was very young. Not sure why that would have done it...maybe she had a sensitivity to it or it rubbed against her neck somehow. But in her case, there was nothing medically wrong. It's not totally visible all the time, but you only need to stroke her gently before it becomes apparent that there is no hair there. Hope, in your case, that everything turns out ok for your cat.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I'd still check for fleas. All the cats I've ever had were indoor cats and they somehow always managed to get fleas eventually during flea/tick season. Fleas are sneaky little bastards.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I'd still check for fleas. All the cats I've ever had were indoor cats and they somehow always managed to get fleas eventually during flea/tick season. Fleas are sneaky little bastards.
I was just about to say the same. Rhett does this every summer and grows it back when the weather cools. Doc says fleas can come in on our clothing, so all my kids are treated for fleas. For some reason, Rhett just seems to be more sensitive to the varmits than the others. I'm sure your vet will check for flea sensitivity.

·
Registered
468 Posts
yea sounds like fleas....some pets are allergic to flea saliva so the skin gets little red bumps, and the hair loss could be due to the allergy or just due to scratching. it is a myth that a pet with fleas will have them crawling all over and they'll be easy to find. Often times even when I know a pet has fleas it can be difficult to find them. You can try to run a very fine tooth comb through her fur, and then put the remnants from the comb on a wet paper towel. Flea poop turns a rusty red color because of the blood in it.

of course it could be any number of things, but that was my first impression.

Like Karen said, if she wears a collar that can cause hair loss too, but shouldnt actually irritate the skin to the point where you'd see bumps.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I know this sounds silly but do you have a male cat and a female cat? My male cat has been 'bothering' my female cat at night while we sleep a lot lately and I've actually walked in on them a couple times (yes, very awkward!) and I've noticed, like many other animals, the male bites onto the back of the females neck. If they're doing it a lot, or if your male cat (assuming you even have a male cat) is extra rough, that may be what's happening.

But I'm not a doctor so this is just a suggested idea.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleOne89 View Post

I know this sounds silly but do you have a male cat and a female cat? My male cat has been 'bothering' my female cat at night while we sleep a lot lately and I've actually walked in on them a couple times (yes, very awkward!) and I've noticed, like many other animals, the male bites onto the back of the females neck. If they're doing it a lot, or if your male cat (assuming you even have a male cat) is extra rough, that may be what's happening.

But I'm not a doctor so this is just a suggested idea.
some of my males do that to each other and they rip out fur occasionally

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
here is some update

i never went to the doctor after this. the reason is that she never showed any discomfort about it. i was always looking after it and she was fine. i check the area every day and it seems like it is healing. there is no0 infection and the wound is disappearing, the hair is growing back. i asume it happened at some fight with the other cat6 we have and it was never a big problem. so it seems like it all is fine, thans you all for your help

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
That's good news. I'm glad she's ok

1 - 18 of 18 Posts