VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been vegan for 2 months; all of a sudden i've had cravings for meat this week; could use some advise on how to get through this craving (ie, foods that might satisfy the craving).

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Nuts can be helpful. I especially like cashews. Juicy, chewy and succulent! Salty too.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I've read that meat cravings can be satisfied with a combination of fat and salt. Doesn't sound like a healthy combination, but it might help. You might also try something with lots of umami flavour, like mushrooms.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've always loved Gardeins seven grain nuggets- in an oil sprayed pan on stove top (package says to bake) till crispy. With hot sauce.
Or any veggie vegan chik'n nugget or patty-Boca is good. Have with something you'd typically have-fries or cole slaw.
If you do tofu, try pressing panko crumbs or cornflakes in slices and lightly fry with seasoning.
Fried mushrooms, onions, or eggplant!
I don't recommend trying to directly subsitute-I never wanted meat actually, and don't like what tastes like it- but I do like the smell of some fried chicken places, and know what I crave is the spices and breading, easily converted to beanburgers, tofu, and breaded veggies.

What is it about your craving? It's probably just a memory craving, so try new foods instead! It's not easy to change ways of eating you've always known, but I guarantee, the longer you keep doing it, trying new foods and ways to cook and bake, you will have that Eureka! moment when you hits you- "I'm vegetarian". Meat will no longer be a choice any more than bugs or other things you'd never think to put in your mouth.

Watch Meet your Meat or Earthlings.

Welcome to Veggieboards!

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Fry a Portebella mushroom in margarine and garlic powder, put it on a toasted bun and put all the stuff on it that you would normally put on a burger.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Fry a Portebella mushroom in margarine and garlic powder, put it on a toasted bun and put all the stuff on it that you would normally put on a burger.
I am going to do this.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

Yum!

There's a pizza place around here, Little Anthony's that will put vegan "meatballs" on a pizza. These are great for meat cravings because they're salty and they have all the spices that a meatball would have, as well as a nice texture. Not sure what the brand is or if you have this option but it may work.

Another thing is Morningstar sausage patties. They're spicy like sausage should be, but made from plant sources - don't remember if its TVP or what, but they taste good!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeannem View Post

I've read that meat cravings can be satisfied with a combination of fat and salt. Doesn't sound like a healthy combination, but it might help. You might also try something with lots of umami flavour, like mushrooms.
This is what I did, eating fatty snacks whenever I craved. It's also why I gained a little bit when I went veggie, even though I cut out fast food. It's hard to find room for a steak when you're so full and fat feeling...

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limes View Post

This is what I did, eating fatty snacks whenever I craved. It's also why I gained a little bit when I went veggie, even though I cut out fast food. It's hard to find room for a steak when you're so full and fat feeling...
To my credit, and what might have made it easier for me to go veggie, I did not like steaks, or fish, or crabs, lobster etc..., Chicken I could tolerate but its something that I would never think about eating or ordering.
I was strictly hamburgers and hot dogs, bacon and scrapple and sausage were pretty good too.
most of those things are duplicated in the vegan world.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Make a nice lentil bolognaise sauce for pasta, or make some bean burger patties and eat them between buns with salad etc.

·
Banned
1,368 Posts
bean burger patties are good, however its not something that is going to be accepted by a new vegitarian looking for a meat fix.
I would bet one bite and its over.

Thats why I suggested the mushroom, it has a good texture, and it was something that goes on a burger anyway, so make the burger exact like normal, but leave out the burger part. another thing that would work well for me was to make a tomato, lettuce, cheese and onion sandwich and put thousand island dressing on it. gave me almost the same thrill as a big mac.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Get a Boca burger and grill it on a charcoal grill. Then load it with every kind of burger toppings you like/can think of. I also found that eating the sides to a burger helped cravings also. I got some good french fries and a malt (you could use vegan ice cream and make your own shake too). Not the healthiest thing to eat, but to help you get past a craving or 2 is better than actually eating the burger!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.