VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the wrong kind for a Thanksgiving pie, and bought soft instead of silken....so what can I do this pkg?

TIA

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I sometimes melt a very dark chocolate bar and whip it with soft tofu and a bit of (high quality) vanilla. It's like pudding or mousse. I have no savoury ideas.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
"Alfredo" sauce?

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts

Thousand Island Dressing from Veganomicon. The recipe calls for silken, but I like it with a tofu that is a little firmer. It makes it more like a thick, heavy steakhouse version of the dressing.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, some good ideas thanks!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
A recipe from VCTOTW uses it in a recipe for chocolate topping for cakes, if you have the book, it's brilliant
Also nice to eat on it's own like moose.

My favourite though is to make a savoury onion tart. I think it's just pastry, and then sweated onions with sugar, then blend silken tofu, a little soya cream/milk (or other milk) mustard, thyme and seasoning untill really smooth. Mix and put in the blind baked pastry case, and put in the oven. I don't remember the specifics but if you were really interested I could find the recipe book and copy it down for you
Or you could probally figure it out, the mixture just needs to be reasonable thick but pourable, I don't think there's a science to it like baking, I think there's a lot of room for give or take!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidandspensmom View Post

use it in miso soup with some green onions
I second this but with a few pieces of dried seaweed as well. It's like a blanket and a warm fire somehow transferred into a bowl of soup lol, and you can make it in 3 minutes.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd imagine I could probably use it like silken right? Just well drained and the package size is different. Has anyone else noticed that Nasoya tastes different than Mori Nu?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
What's the brand name? So I can figure out exactly what you have

Something you mash would probably work best. Something like tofu scramble or a sandwich spread.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it's nasoya brand. I just shouldn't have bought anything that day,and instead bought the wrong kind!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
lemon cheesecake!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Tofu mannicotti is good. There's a recipe on the Nasoya site. I haven't had that recipe, but manicotti was one of the first things I ever made with tofu.

Dang, now I want mannicotti. However it's spelled. Oooh, or stuffed pasta shells. I haven't cooked straight up Italian-American in AGES ...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now that sounds really good....I'm thinking soft tofu well drained should be about the same as mori nu firm silken, well drained, right?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Quote:
.I'm thinking soft tofu well drained should be about the same as mori nu firm silken, well drained
I'm not sure. If I understand the difference between soft regular tofu and silken tofu there should be textural differences, but I'm not sure how much they'd impact a recipe. I've only actually cooked with firm silken and soft silken (only two I could find in stores 15 or so years ago). I finally bought some regular tofu last year (water-packed and everything!), but I never got around to doing anything with it.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Vegan French Toast:

Toss it in a blender with 1/2 cup - 1 cup of soymilk.
Add a bit of cinnamon and vanilla.

Pour this into a shallow dish.
Coat slices of bread in your mixture, and fry until golden brown.
Serve how you normally serve pancakes and waffles.

It's REALLY good!!!!

Reactions: InTransition

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

chocolate
must agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

double layer pumpkin cheesecake from www.fatfreevegan.com
definately need to check this out! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Vegan French Toast:

Toss it in a blender with 1/2 cup - 1 cup of soymilk.
Add a bit of cinnamon and vanilla.

Pour this into a shallow dish.
Coat slices of bread in your mixture, and fry until golden brown.
Serve how you normally serve pancakes and waffles.

It's REALLY good!!!!
this absolutely sounds divine, but there's only me some of the week, and hubby is only home part of the week too.....but it sounds really good....may have to go with a dessert!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts