VeggieBoards banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love baking peanut butter flavored cookies, cakes and pies. In fact, I plan to make Kari's Peanut Butter Pie this weekend. But I prefer to use natural peanut butter these days - without the trans fats and extra sugars of the Jifs and Skippys of my youth. But I'm worried that the natural PB I usually use might be too runny to use in a pie. Can anyone suggest a "thick" natural peanut butter? Maybe one that doesn't require stirring? And one that tastes really good? My health food store has one of those peanut butter machines, and the stuff that comes out looks thick, but I've worried about some kind of bacteria that grows in that kind - are my fears founded?

Thanks!

·
Registered
471 Posts
That is a good question and I can't wait to hear the answer. I just started eating Peanut Butter and have gotten a little addicted. I have found all of the natural ones to be horrible. They are so runny and taste like crap. I have been eating the Skippy's Natural. It has no trans fat and is really good tasting. I have to guess it probably has some negatives that I don't know about. They use Palm oil. Not sure if this is bad?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would suggest Skippy Natural...it has a texture like regular. I bought a huge tub of PB at Aldi when I heard the prices were going up, to use in holiday baking...that's what I used in the pie. I am wondering though if perhaps "soft" tofu instead of "silken" might help if your PB is runnier.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I use the Smuckers natural, but it is still fairly thin after stirring the oil back in. I've bought the machine made pb in the HFS, and really like that too. I've *never* had a problem, but never bought that much either. There have been salmonella outbreaks related to PB, but I've never experienced them...there can also be fungal issues too...again no problems

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The natural peanut butter I've had is pretty thick when you refrigerate it (most are supposed to be refrigerated after opening). My guess is that your pie will be chilled? I wouldn't anticipate any problems. I usually use Smucker's natural, or the store brand if available and cheaper. I don't use the kind that doesn't separate due to the environmental issues with palm oil.

If you store the peanut butter upside down before opening, then stir it well before refrigerating, it doesn't tend to separate as much (as opposed to store it upright, then stirring and refrigerating). I think a VBer gave me that tip -- I'm not sure why it works, but it does.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I love Krema PB! it's only ingrediant is peanuts. It does have a layer of oil on top, but I pour it out and save it for other things-I don't find a need to stir it in.
It also goes by the name of Crazy Richards in other areas.
I find it priced right at a discount store (Marcs in OH)

·
Banned
437 Posts
I picked up an Earth Balance peanut butter and it's actually really thick - a little too thick for my liking, actually. It's difficult to spread and I always end up tearing my toast. Doesn't require stirring, though

1 - 8 of 8 Posts