VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
"The New Becoming Vegetarian" by Melina and Davis. As a new vegetarian, I'm almost done reading it now. It starts with reasons to become vegetarian. Then it goes through all the various areas where veg*ns need to be careful to eat enough of the right things. Everyone thinks protein is tough, but that's the easy part. Vitamin B12 and omega-3 fatty acids are the challenges to get into your diet, and this book tells you how to do it.

One thing I messed up, because the book didn't say it, is that flax seeds shouldn't be eaten whole. They're the best veg*n source of omega-3, but they need to be ground up to be absorbed, otherwise they pass right through you and come out whole at the other end. I made the mistake of buying them whole, not knowing I needed to ground them (or having the tools to do so). So I ended up returning them unopened, once I realized my mistake.

There's also a chapter on being diplomatic as a veg*n, and some recipes at the end. I haven't quite gotten that far yet, so I haven't tried any of the recipes. I don't really cook, so I probably won't try many of them.

Anyway, great book. I highly recommend it. Chapter 9 even includes the veg*n food pyramid, and a chart for you to fill out to see how you're doing each day. I've been using it the last 5 days, and it's very useful.

--Fromper

Meat free for 7 days.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
That is the book I was coming in to recommend. It really is the most comprehensive guide to vegetarian nutrition that I've found.

I think I've read it at least 4 times over the past 3 years!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.