VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure there are tons!!!!

Sometimes Simon is right on, but he was sure wrong about Jennifer Hudson.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Pretty much any interesting artist I can think of. AI is looking particularly for a singer with a conventionally "good" voice that will appeal to the masses. Most "artists" who stand the test of time are not only known for a conventionally good voice--they appeal to people (generally not 10-year-olds) because of their originality, song-writing skill, musicianship, etc. For instance, one of my favorite artists since the late 70s is Elvis Costello. He doesn't by any means have an AI voice, but he does have a unique voice, and he's a great songwriter. I don't love everything he does, but I like that with each new project he takes chances and tries new things. That to me is an artist. I guess there's a place for the Whitney Houstons, Celine Dions and Mariah Careys of the world, but it's not in my CD player!

I actually do like to watch AI, but I sometimes change the channel while the contestants are singing because I hate most of the music. What I like about the show though is the drama of the whole process and the judge commentary.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggplant View Post

Pretty much any interesting artist I can think of. AI is looking particularly for a singer with a conventionally "good" voice that will appeal to the masses. Most "artists" who stand the test of time are not only known for a conventionally good voice--they appeal to people (generally not 10-year-olds) because of their originality, song-writing skill, musicianship, etc. For instance, one of my favorite artists since the late 70s is Elvis Costello. He doesn't by any means have an AI voice, but he does have a unique voice, and he's a great songwriter. I don't love everything he does, but I like that with each new project he takes chances and tries new things. That to me is an artist. I guess there's a place for the Whitney Houstons, Celine Dions and Mariah Careys of the world, but it's not in my CD player!
:applause:

I couldn't possibly say it any better.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I suppose there's no dictating taste. A year ago, songwriter Jimmy Webb made a concert appearance in my home town. I love several of his songs. Supposedly he doesn't have such a good singing voice and that's the reason his songs have only become famous when someone like Glen Campbell sings them, but I thought he was okay. His voice isn't really distinctive in any way either, so probably if he had tried out for AI, he would have gotten lost in the shuffle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.