VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So?

I'm looking into getting into running. I think it's the greatest most portable sport, but I suck at it. Thus the determintation to do better.

It's also cheap. You just need shoes and scenery.

Also, I'm getting some yoga tapes today, so I can do it at home.

My Gym membership is up, and I don't really have the cash to renew, despite that I love the place, and I was finding it hard to find the time and energy to get in the car and drive 30 mins to get there... I'd rather just pick up at home when I feel the urge.

Also, I quilt a lot and play and write music and sing, etc.

In the summers I go sailing, and want to get back to a competitive level in that again this year too.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i have no hobbies. other than VB

i want to pick something up though, i need to doooooo something before i go insane. in the spring the guys will be training for mountain biking so i want to have something i can do while they're out

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I also want to start running also.
But I have to work my way up to it. I'm joining a health club in the next week or two. You get two hours of instruction so hopefully they can help me set something up. I mainly want to do the bike and treadmill for now.

I don't know, I really don't seem to do much else.
I guess I read a lot, I love listening to music, and I really enjoy being back at school (I never ever thought I would say that).

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to be a Cross Country/Track Runner in Highschool, today I still run atleast once, sometimes up to three times a week. My knee's sometime's bother me a bit though, so I've also been doing a lot of road biking this last year.. This year, I'm going to try and get in better shape, and think about doing a triathlon (even though I suck at swimming). Seems like it would be a lot of fun, and I'll wear some shirt or something that says "powered by veggies"

I consider video games a hobby of mine too, since I'm sure I've spent a good percentage of my life wasting away with them.. hehe

·
Registered
139 Posts
Also, something that seems obvious also.. (I had to also)

where you run make's a HUGE difference, if you can find some trails or a place with nice scenery, you will enjoy yourself a gazillion times better then if you have to resort to running on sidewalks next to traffic. I can't stand running in congested area's, back in HS we were givin specific routes to run, most of which were yucky traffic ones...

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
Yeah, we have this thing called Constitution Trail that runs through town, it's a paved running/biking path. Pretty nice. I figure I can get used to it in the gym while it's cold and again in the mid-summer and then do it outside when the weather is decent.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have no athletic hobbies...unless DDR counts. XD I stay inside as much as I can. I read, draw, paint, and write (my hands get lots of exercise...wait, that came out wrong). I ran track in middle school, and I can still play a mean match of tennis, but alas, I am out of shape and I've had asthma attacks rather frequently in recent years.

·
Banned
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by VeggieMonster

where you run make's a HUGE difference, if you can find some trails or a place with nice scenery, you will enjoy yourself a gazillion times better then if you have to resort to running on sidewalks next to traffic. I can't stand running in congested area's, back in HS we were givin specific routes to run, most of which were yucky traffic ones...
i partially agree with this but i find that, since i usually run at night sometime between 12 and 4am, it doesn't matter where i run. if you're going to run during the day, i'd agree that it makes a difference but if you're stuck somewhere far from nice scenery, i'd suggest running at night.

and i think that most people would be surprised at how quickly you can work up a decent endurance for running. even if you can't run a mile to begin with, you'll be able to run a few miles within a week or two if you run everyday.

anyway, i run and play basketball a lot, listen to music, do web design, read.. i also tend to get addicted very quickly to board/card games (pinochle, spades, scrabble, chess, etc). so depending on what my current addiction is, i'm probably playing one of those decently often. oh, and once school starts, i'll be biking to school again (about 8-10 mi round trip) so i'm excited to get back into a groove with that.

does staying up late at night count as a hobby?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael

I'm going to get one of those "I (heart) tofu" t-shirts.
Ha! "tofu"

I started running again recently. I love running in the cold. It's so refreshing. I also go to the gym twice a week and play basketball when I can. I injured my right gastrocnemius (calf) last week though

Non-athletic passtimes? Besides school and schoolwork, I'm a big fan of wasting time at coffeeshops, drinking for sport, arguing, and arting.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
wasting time at coffeeshops was like my favourite subject in highschool

i used to go to the coffeehouse by myself if nobody else could go. cause i'd always run into someone i knew there. i once sat there for 11 hours. watching people come and go. peoplewatching is a fun hobby. and i'm nosy so it works. overhear some great discussions that way

·
Registered
590 Posts
I ride my bike at night. I love late night bike rides, they're so peaceful. I rode last night in the cold and snow. It is refreshing.

Music is probably my biggest hobby--buying it, downloading it, looking for new bands. Most of my time on the computer is spent looking for and downloading new music. I also spend quite a bit of time going to see bands. I'd like to get into making my own music someday, but I have a problem with putting things off and getting frustrated too quickly, so that keeps me from doing it anytime soon.

Aside from music, I write too. I go in streaks where I'll write nearly everyday then not write for months. It's a matter of if I'm feeling up to it, or having enough ideas.

That's about it. There's a lot of other things I'd like to do, or that I did at one time, but just don't have the ambition to continue with or try. That's something I need to fix.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ride and drive horses- well, I used to ride a lot but then I went away to university and it kind of got put on hold, but I'm back baby.... well, I'll be back when my horse decides the chairs in the arena are really just chairs and not hideous monsters waiting to attack him
I have driven a lot more then ridden in the past while and I really love it, but I need to get some sort of cart.

I have started to crochet squares and hopefully will be able to gradually make a blanket. I've never gotten that far, but it's a cool activity and you can do it in front of the t.v. so you can maximize your "after work or school time".

I also like to scrapbook, but I've taken a break from that. I don't think I'm really meant to do anything so creative, and the city I'm in doesn't have much in the way of good supply stores.

I also like to.... spend time with my bunnies, go to the gym (whether I like that one or not depends on the day!), volunteer with something (animal rescues/shelters, school clubs, midwifery clinic), read- which I've been getting back into after school since I actually have time to read stuff that doesn't have anything to do with physiology or biochemistry (!)

hmmmm, I think that's it, for now anyways....

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oooh! You volunteer at a midwifery clinic?? Where?

After my Deaf kids, that's my next choice! I find midwifery fascinating!

I also love to read, but lately cannot find the time. *sigh*

I used to hear ppl talk all the time about ppl watching, but I lived in a tiny town, and didn't see the thrill. NOw that I spend lots of time in the city I consider it more interesting.

I also like playing games lately. I play scrabble lots with Trev, and ALSO Mahjong with Andrew. ALSO, I avoid going to class.

I'm trying to make myself into a more athletic person though. It's one of my 3 Goals. (Financial investment, investment in my self for healthy body and mind {lifestyle, exercise and diet}, investment in others {charity and volunteering})

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Av,

Don't people in small towns tend to know most everybody, so there's no point in people-watching becuase you already know where they're going and what they're doing?

I like to wander around libraries and just look at books. I'll pull off random books, browse titles. I've been known to spend hours and hours just doing this, so I have to curb the time I spend in libraries. The easiest way to do this is just not to go in. I could never be a librarian, though. I like organizing things, but I couldn't do it all day, every day.

VB. No duh.

Doing whatever needs done right then at my church, be it cleaning up after Sunday school classes, running the overhead projector, taking the offering, watching kids in the nursery, organizing fund raisers for trips, you get the idea. But I won't be the pastor, treasuror, or tech person. I might assist the tech person, but I'm not that tech-oriented to do it all myself. I'm more of the low-skill willing worker.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I look for fossils. I'm slightly obsessed with them.

I'm making a garden from a field of grass.

Sometimes I paint or draw, some years I do, some I don't.

I move the furniture round in my house over and over again, and I paint the walls, it's like playing with a giant dolls house.

And I hammer the internet for hours most days. But I don't watch tv so I don't worry too much about it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I also write restaurant reviews. I wrote one of my favorite coffeeshop, and I don't even like coffee. Their Fruit Tea Blasts are great, though they do cost $3.50 each. I don't get them very often, but I do enjoy them when I do shell out the cash.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts