VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as animal right & welfare groups go, which are your favorites? There seem to be an ever growing number of them, which is a wonderful thing. I'm curious about which ones everyone here supports.

Myself, so far I've been a member and supporter of my absolute favorite one, Farm Sanctuary ( www.farmsanctuary.org if anyone's interested). I also support Best Friends (http://bestfriends.com) & AAVS (http://www.aavs.org/home.html ). I think they're all great groups.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Greenpeace: I started to support them when I was about 8 years old. I love their campagnes and actions. Climbing in towers, attach themselves on boats and that sort of things.

Also PETA, and some dutch charities I like.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I know some people don't like PETA, but I do. I consider myself a moderate in a culture that is blissfully unaware and/or uncaring of the extremes of animal abuse worldwide, and especially in the US. But moderates do not (never have, never will) create cultural, social, or political change. For any meaningful change, it is imperative to have individuals and groups that some label "extreme". To use an old cliche, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", and those who are the most outspoken and active get the results, no matter how annoying they may be to some. So for animal welfare, I choose to support PETA the most, because they seem to be the biggest and most outspoken. If any of you know of other groups bigger or more outspoken, and therefore more effective, please let me know.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
Mostly local here. The Hoosier Environmental Coalition, Middle Way House (a domestic violence shelter), WFHB, have also done work for Habitat for Humanity as part of the Unitarian Church.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Our local no kill shelters, RESCUE and AAWL (which is the one I volunteer at)...whenever the subject of pets comes up with people I know, I ALWAYS put in my three cents worth on the shelters vs. the Humane Society. Also, Farm Sanctuary, which I discovered when I found these boards. I haven't donated yet but would really love to adopt a cow! I will probably try to convince my hubby to adopt some chickens or a pig or something for me for Christmas, and then put their pictures in our den.....lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I support a lot of animal charities.. PETA, WSPA, Toronto Humane Society and the London Humane Society. I always get hit up at work to donate money to certain charities that test on animals and it's difficult to say no, but atleast my coworkers are understanding...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are many charities that I like to donate to, the Dr Hadwen Trust & Lord Dowding Fund (replacing animal experiments in medical reserch), National Antivivisection Society, Animal Defenders and PETA.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I was at the New York one last summer. I absolutely loved it and we're planning on going there again to stay at the bed and breakfast next year. I can't wait!

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I support many animal groups through small donations, often in exchange for educational material.

However, I like Doris Day Animal League, Vegan Outreach, United Poultry Concerns, Compassion Over Killing and Animal Protection Institute (API's Animal Issues magazines is one of the best in terms of content, style, and quality.)

I also support Ahimsa Texas. This group doesn't send out glossy mailers asking for cash. Rather, they want calendars. This group collects all the calendars, postcards and freebies sent to its donors by much more well-known groups. Then they sell the items in India's marketplaces to help India's abused street dogs and donkeys. www.ahimsatx.org

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
PETA (through donations and shopping at their store)

Sierra Club (though this is more environmental I guess)

The rest of the charities I donate to are not animal related - of those Doctor's Without Borders and Amnesty International get most of my donation dollars.

I'm looking forward to moving to the states where I can donate my time as well (here there isn't much volunteer opportunities)

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I donate to the All childerns haspilal and the firemans burned children. I only do five bucks to each but, if everyone gives five bucks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts