VeggieBoards banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderRandy View Post

I went ahead and decided to give up Diet Pepsi for Lent. May not sound like much to most people, but trust me, it's a big one...
*pulls out pom-poms and attempts to be funny and encouraging*

You can do it, yes you can, if Randy can't do it nobody can. YEA Randy!

*then pulls her best hip-hop moves*

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

I believe the confusion may stem from the fact that the Roman Catholic Church does not require the faithful to fast on Sundays. The rules of fasting and abstinence prior to the Second Vatican Council were:

The lack of requirement to fast on Sundays during Lent (and the rest of the year) combined with an overall relaxation of the rules of fasting and abstinence have left some Catholic confused and holding the idea that Sundays are "free days."

In the strictest sense I suppose that one could decide to take a day off from their additional discipline without penalty because there is no requirement that anyone give up anything (aside from the required abstinence and fasting).

But for Catholics of the Roman Rite, Lent is the full period between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.
That states that fasting is not required on Sundays. But as far as one's chosen Lenten sacrifice, it is for all of Lent, and Sundays are not 'free days' from your Lenten commitment, which , i think, is what you are saying where I underlined.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I am not Catholic but I've decided to give up sex for lent. It was either that or coffee, and I need my coffee!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I changed my mind and decided to only cut down on caffeine, rather than give it up, because I was nodding off to sleep in school yesterday and felt plain miserable. I am going to mix one part non-de-caf with two patrs de-caf in the coffeemaker, so hopefully that little pinch of caffeine will prevent me from sleeping in class.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah+13 View Post

In the Roman Catholic Church, and for most other Western church bodies which observe Lent (Anglicans and Lutherans, for instance) Lent begins 46 days before Easter on Ash Wednesday. It's not quite clear why. It's commonly taught that the 6 Sundays in Lent are not counted as part of the 40 days. It may also be that the 40 days were counted from the first Sunday in Lent, and that the 40 days ended on Holy Thursday.
Sarah,

I think you're right. If I remember correctly (and I don't have my sources handy so I may be wrong) the Triduum is not considered, properly, a part of Lent by the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church.

The Roman Rite's calculation of the start of Lent is always confusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

That states that fasting is not required on Sundays. But as far as one's chosen Lenten sacrifice, it is for all of Lent, and Sundays are not 'free days' from your Lenten commitment, which , i think, is what you are saying where I underlined.
That is exactly what I was trying to say! I'm glad someone understood it. When I went back and read it I wasn't sure what I was saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

I am not Catholic but I've decided to give up sex for lent.
Ah! So you're Orthodox!

Sorry ... bad joke. My husband often jokes that he's glad we're Catholic and not Orthodox because in the Orthodox tradition whenever you are required to fast that includes fasting from sex as well. An Orthodox friend assures me (only partly in jest) that is the reason so many children are born 9 months after Easter and 9 months after Christmas (there is a pre-Christmas fast in the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic traditions).

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah+13 View Post

On topic, I'm an Orthodox Christian, so I try follow the Church guidelines for Lent, for food they are basically as described by MrsKey. Alms giving and increased prayer are also essential to parts of Lenten discipline.
What ethnicity is your church? Mine was Romanian.

And I completely forgot about the Julian calendar.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Ah! So you're Orthodox!

Sorry ... bad joke. My husband often jokes that he's glad we're Catholic and not Orthodox because in the Orthodox tradition whenever you are required to fast that includes fasting from sex as well. An Orthodox friend assures me (only partly in jest) that is the reason so many children are born 9 months after Easter and 9 months after Christmas (there is a pre-Christmas fast in the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic traditions).
But if you don't swallow, then you're ok, right?

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
I'm not Catholic or Orthodox Christian but I'm going to give up alcohol. I know I'm a few days late but you know what they say, better late than never.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts