VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all the Catholics on Vb, want do you plan to give up for Lent? How do you plan to make youself a better person for Lent? I plan to give up caffeine
and cut down on TV and internet, and try to bumb up my marks to eighty percent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,079 Posts
I usually give up everything chocolate....although I feel like following a vegan diet is sacrifice enough all year long! I still miss a lot of foods that I don't eat on a vegan diet. Also, instead of just giving up something I try to 'do' something extra...like going to daily mass. I don't usually end up making it all the way through lent, though, as it's difficult to get to mass and then be able to get to work on time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookle View Post

catholicism...
That's a paradox, because if one gives up catholicism for lent, then they give up giving things up, thus go back to catholicism, give it up again, go back to it, give it up, go back to it...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

That's a paradox, because if one gives up catholicism for lent, then they give up giving things up, thus go back to catholicism, give it up again, go back to it, give it up, go back to it...
huh?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb_0810 View Post

For all the Catholics on Vb, want do you plan to give up for Lent? How do you plan to make youself a better person for Lent? I plan to give up caffeine
and cut down on TV and internet, and try to bumb up my marks to eighty percent.
sounds like a new years resolution to me lol!

im not too sure what i could give up that i love though. it has to be something big though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,902 Posts
What date does it start and end? Could I give up not doing something? Like give up sloth for lent by exercising everyday?

From a liklihood of success perspective, I think it's probably best to focus on just one thing. Spiritually, (from my point of view, not sure of the Catholic one) I think this is a good idea, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
I'll probably give up soda and fries. I've been meaning to do that for a while now, but atleast I'll have a good excuse when people offer it to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
I should give up VB for Lent, but that would require the entire board being down for over 40 days, and I don't think the rest of you would like that very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,858 Posts
I was going to give up alcohol for lent, but my girlfriend convinced me that it was too easy and I should give up coffee instead. I said no, but then she said that if I did she would give up dairy and eggs for lent (she's lacto-ovo). I guess I couldn't say no to that (she's actually starting it a day later though).

I'm not Catholic so I don't know if this question was addressed to me. I just like this as a dicipline exercise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia View Post

What date does it start and end? Could I give up not doing something? Like give up sloth for lent by exercising everyday?

From a liklihood of success perspective, I think it's probably best to focus on just one thing. Spiritually, (from my point of view, not sure of the Catholic one) I think this is a good idea, too.
It begins (for Roman Catholics) tomorrow 2/21 which is Ash wednesday and ends Easter Sunday, which is April 8th.

Since I am lacto-ovo, (but buy and eat mostly vegan stuff most of the time), I will only eat vegan food for Lent, and try my best after Lent to stick to it. I ate pretty much all vegan this past summer, but kinda got lazy as clases started and the semester went on. So I will try again, and see how well I do.

eta: I specified for Roman Catholics, just because the Eastern Orthodox Church begins Lent a different day, in case there are any Orthodox people out there, or if anyone knows someone who is Orthodox and says it starts a different day. Just so no one is confused.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaCeltarum View Post

It begins (for Roman Catholics) tomorrow 2/21 which is Ash wednesday and ends Easter Sunday, which is April 8th.

Since I am lacto-ovo, (but buy and eat mostly vegan stuff most of the time), I will only eat vegan food for Lent, and try my best after Lent to stick to it. I ate pretty much all vegan this past summer, but kinda got lazy as clases started and the semester went on. So I will try again, and see how well I do.

eta: I specified for Roman Catholics, just because the Eastern Orthodox Church begins Lent a different day, in case there are any Orthodox people out there, or if anyone knows someone who is Orthodox and says it starts a different day. Just so no one is confused.
I grew up Eastern Orthodox and I never figured out the system. I think it starts on a Monday instead of Wednesday, because I'd always wait for the Sunday when everyone was talking about Lent beginning and say to myself "Of course Lent starts tomorrow!"
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,851 Posts
I hurd on the news that IHOP was giving away free pancakes becase it is tradition to give up eggs, cheese, and milk, during lent?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

I hurd on the news that IHOP was giving away free pancakes becase it is tradition to give up eggs, cheese, and milk, during lent?
I just learned all about this today! I've never heard of it before (pancakes, not giving up things). Apparently today is Pancake Day.

I think the Eastern Orthodox are the only ones who still advocate going completely vegan for Lent, but my church wasn't very strict about it. We were definitely not supposed to have meat, but they served cheese pizza once during the kids' Good Friday lesson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,481 Posts
why meat of course!!
Seriously, I am not sure what, if anything I am giving up, but since Ash Wednesday is tomorrow, I'd better make a quick decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,684 Posts
I'm giving up sugar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iria View Post

I grew up Eastern Orthodox and I never figured out the system. I think it starts on a Monday instead of Wednesday, because I'd always wait for the Sunday when everyone was talking about Lent beginning and say to myself "Of course Lent starts tomorrow!"
Orthodox Lent starts exactly forty days before Easter, I think, and RC uses another way to figure it out. I think they both have Easter the same day, which goes by when Passover is I think.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top