VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder - Buy Nothing Day in the U.S. is Saturday, November 25th this year.

"Saturday November 25th 2006 is Buy Nothing Day (UK), It's a day where you challenge yourself, your family and friends to switch off from shopping and tune into life. Anyone can take part provided they spend a day without spending!

This year our message is simple, shop less - live more! The challenge is to try simple living for a day, spend time with family and friends, rather than spend money on them.

Buy Nothing Day also exposes the environmental and ethical consequences of consumerism. The developed countries - only 20% of the world population are consuming over 80% of the earth's natural resources, causing a disproportionate level of environmental damage and unfair distribution of wealth."

http://www.buynothingday.co.uk/

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Ha, good thing. I thought Buy Nothing day (in Canada, anyway) was the same day as the US's Black Friday, and I just went out and bought a magazine, a sushi mat and pickled ginger.

Tomorrow I have no plans to buy anything... unless we happen to find a place that's selling the Nintendo Wii.

I respect buy nothing day in it's message, but I don't know if it actually does anything when people who rarely buy things anyway buy something they need , or that they have been saving for.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Eh, it's just another commercial Hallmark holiday.

I'll buy something if I need it, probably, and nothing if I don't. I've already done most of my Christmas shopping anyway, tee hee.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
We're buying ingredients to make beer.

I might buy some toothpaste later; we're out.

I'll probably buy some food later too. Or dinner.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Quote:
Ha, good thing. I thought Buy Nothing day (in Canada, anyway) was the same day as the US's Black Friday,
It IS. In the US and Canada, Buy Nothing Day falls on the Friday after US Thanksgiving, the busiest shopping day of the year. I don't celebrate Buy Nothing Day, and was out with the crowds at 6 AM. Didn't get much though--sold out, sold out, sold out.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
I assume BND in the US is today, Friday 11/24 the day after Thanksgiving. Well, I'm sitting here at the computer in my PJ's at 2:00 in the afternoon. Not buying anything. Although at some point I'm going to visit my dad in the convalescent hospital, and my mom will be there, and she might want to take me for sushi when we leave. But it's not like we're going to be shopping for toys or anything.

However, I really do have to go back to both Target and JC Penney to return clothes, and I know I won't be able to resist the urge to do more shopping. And I've been promising to take my mother shopping at Sears since May. Oh, well.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I usually try to buy nothing, but I am a poor planner. I noticed yesterday that I am all out of dry food for the kitties (and cat litter). But I'm not doing any gift shopping.

My brother went to one of those sales this morning. He got there at like 4:30 AM and the parking lot was already full and long lines to get into the Best Buy. People had fires burning all night long as they camped out. He got in and out just to buy a bunch of DVDs that were hugely discounted.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I'll be going to Critical Mass. Last night I was stenciling until 4:00 with a homemade anti-shopping stencil in the shopping district.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Buy nothing day is virtually every day for me, so why celebrate the actual day. haha. Today I bought nothing but a small coffee. Tomorrow I am exchanging my lightbulbs for smaller ones, so technically that's not buying anything.

ETA: Oh yeah today i also paid my visa bill and internet bill. oops.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Buy nothing day is practically every, especially lately.

However, I stumbled upon a printer for $49 at Radio Shack next to the gym and couldn't help myself as mine broke. My bad.

·
Ankle Biter
9,333 Posts
We didn't do any "holiday shopping" today, just some necessities. DH bought a washer and bolt thingy to fix the sink, I bought a bottle of Aveda shampoo, and we bought lunch at Taco Bell. I thought today was the "Not One Damn Dime" day, but I have no plans to shop tomorrow either if indeed that's the day.

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I actually did buy nothing today. But I did sign up for $250 worth of dance classes. It's a service though, not a good, so I don't know if that counts.

I will be buying nothing tommorow.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post

I'll be doing the same thing I've been doing everyday. Working.
Yup. Me too. Although, regardless of what day it actually is, I didn't make it... at work, I bought a veggie sammich @ Subway for dinner and just now I sent a transfer through Paypal for the James Bond DVD box set for my dad... Guess my efforts wouldn't matter anyway since I work retail and therefore help others negatively contribute to Buy Nothing Day...

I mean, I'm all for boycotting and reducing the gross amount of consumerism that goes on in this country every day, but a girl needs a paycheck, am I right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts