VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I went vegan - hummus has been a downright sanity saver for me. I use it in veggie wraps and on veggies / pita chips. Thankfully since I make my own it only costs about $1 a batch.

I also make my on pita chips.. super cheap and easy.

But as far as meals go, curry lentil stew has been my sanity.

What foods are/were your sanity when you first started?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Savoury yeast flakes (that's Nutritional yeast to the non-Australians) - so I can make cheesy sauces. And things like coconut and soy cream so I can still have my favourite creamy dessert dishes.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Hummus was definitely a sanity saver for me in going vegan, as well as avocado/guacamole. I use one or the other of these in a lot of places where i would have used cheese before -- in sandwiches, in burritos, with crackers/chips, atop things like soups or chilis and even on pizza. They both give me that creamy/savory feeling and help me feel satisfied.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Umm, fake chicken nuggets.
Seriously, I really just needed something breaded and salty to use as a utensil for getting ketchup into my mouth.

Beyond that, probably tofu, but that didn't start until later into being vegan when I moved to Japan and realized beans are super expensive here! I crave the stuff (in many forms), and sometimes, no matter how much food I have at home, if I'm having a bad day I'll go buy a block of fried tofu to put in soup for dinner.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
black beans - specifically black bean soup and black bean-onion goop. it's just sauteed onions with mushed up black beans and some garlic, but you can eat it with anything, and it's pretty good.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rice and beans, minestrone soup (with veggie stock), cous cous, and SO Delicious ice cream sammies.

Oh, and hummus. I have always loved hummus, but it has totally been my snack food of choice lately.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yes, hummus! Also falafel. There's just something about a nice falafel sandwich (from a shop, since nothing I can make really compares).
Nutritional yeast, too. One of my go to meals when cooking for myself is pasta with a cheezy sauce.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Eggplant, hummus, falafel, rice milk, tofu and daiya.

Just about any veggie too, I guess. I love them

·
Banned
437 Posts
Hummus! Oh how I love it...It just makes everything taste better, and feel a bit more satisfying. I read a post somewhere recommending it on a baked potato, and I'm definitely going to try that next!

I also love almond milk

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I agree about nutritional yeast. Unlike some people, I don't really think it tastes like cheese, but I think it tastes great in its own right. Especially mixed into pasta sauce.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to this, and granted its not food, but coffee has been and always will be my staple sanity saver. I could eat dirt as long as I had coffee. I once heard a quote to the effect of "Its the nonessentials that make the essentials worth going without." I think it was the in the movie The Core.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Pasta, with home made basil pesto. The ultimate comfort food and both can be kept and put together out of the fridge...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom View Post

I'm new to this, and granted its not food, but coffee has been and always will be my staple sanity saver. I could eat dirt as long as I had coffee. I once heard a quote to the effect of "Its the nonessentials that make the essentials worth going without." I think it was the in the movie The Core.
+1

that plus chocolate cupcakes, preferably baked after midnight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts