VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was thinking about this during a walk last night...

What are the common threads that run through the moral fibers of veg*ns? What makes those of us that truly pursue the lifestyle different from people for whom veg*nism is "just a phase", or omnivores who don't even try?
What are we made of - what qualities does it take to be a veg*n?

The answer I arrived at was "Conviction and Integrity" (- though maybe that's just my case)
So, what is it for you? Feel free to elaborate - I'm sure I will later.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
This reminds me of the thread from a few weeks ago, "Are we different?". I think one of the most important things one must have to become vegetarian or vegan is open-mindedness. As an omni, I loved animals, but I was taught to believe animal rights arguments were crazy and made up to brainwash and scar people into helping animals. I know PETA can sometimes still be biased, but when I began doing research to become a vegetarian, I was being open-minded to learning of the torture and murder animals endure, and I was also open-minded to thinking of all animals, not just pets and non-farm animals, as equals who deserve to be treated with kindness and respect. Also a love of animals is important, and the compassion and tolerance to be able to really see these animals differently than what we're expected to see them as, and realize they aren't food, and the things that happen to them aren't fake, they're real, they happen here, not in some other world, and we, as humans, contribute to the torture and murder every time we choose to eat animal products.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I suppose I agree with the open-mindedness part, but I don't think the compassion factor is universal. While it is something you see in a lot of veg*ns, one of the people I "converted" didn't really care about animal welfare - I sold him entirely on the ecological approach.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I read the title the first thing that popped in my head was: "meat"? Followed by "bones" and "various other squishy things".

Guess it's time for me to go to bed and post something coherent tomorrow...

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
I was thinking 'snips and snails and puppy dog tails'. I'm not a little boy anymore, but I used to be. Have no idea what a 'snip' is in this context, though.

A lot of folks will probably point to health and animal protection type issues. Both are common to many current day veggie types. Historically though those come relatively late to the party. Looking at the last 2600 or so years we're like the iPhone app store.

Concerned you might accidentally consume a dead relative's soul? Have MAJOR issues with sex? Believe self denial brings one closer to God? Underprivileged?

There's a meat-free ideology for that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I tend to mentally split vegans into those who are in it for health reasons, and those who feel a moral conviction. There's often some overlap, though.

Other than that, I think the fact that we are all different is wonderful. Veg*n stereotypes are so often the same - female, kind- or soft- hearted, etc - that it's good to be reminded that we are people, who have chosen a similar way of life for wildly different reasons.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I'm not sure any of us are different in who we are, although perhaps there are people that would just never ever do it. But i was a veg*n hating omni that would never give up meat! lol but like jessica said, at some point to become it you have to open your mind to getting out of denial and willing to change a big part of your life. My mom eats meat right now, and probably will for a while longer, but i have a feeling she will go vegetarian one day, especially with me in her life, though i also have no idea if she would stick to it.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

When I read the title the first thing that popped in my head was: "meat"? Followed by "bones" and "various other squishy things".

Guess it's time for me to go to bed and post something coherent tomorrow...
"Be water" [my friend], but don't wet the bed by having to question too late into the nite things you can no better answer in the morning.
(bruce lee adapted & mega modified quote).. What bruce should have said perhaps is try being water by being the water you already are!

(another bruce lee adapted & mega modified quote).

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I think there's definitely a certain mental toughness involved, considering the controversy and conflict that we all inevitably face from time to time. It's the same with making any unpopular decision. I was already somewhat ready for the conflict because veganism is far from the first controversial stance I've taken. I think the idea appeals to people who are already somewhat tested like that...who don't mind dancing close to the fire.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

I think there's definitely a certain mental toughness involved, considering the controversy and conflict that we all inevitably face from time to time. It's the same with making any unpopular decision. I was already somewhat ready for the conflict because veganism is far from the first controversial stance I've taken. I think the idea appeals to people who are already somewhat tested like that...who don't mind dancing close to the fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9VD0KASpz4

Haha, had to think of this song immediately. It's translated to "dance on the volcano"
It's now my official veg*n theme song. (Next to "Sniff my sexy vegan armpits", of course.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts