VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was browsing around the site I was noticing different names like lacto-ovo and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the types of vegetarianisn there are.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Those are good definitions, but don't quite cover all the diets out there, particularly ones that come up on these boards.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: Eats dairy and eggs but no animals.

Lacto Vegetarian: Eats dairy but no eggs or meat.

Ovo Vegetarian: Eats eggs but no dairy or meat.

Omnivore: Eats anything.

Omnivore: Eats fish but no poultry or red meat.

Omnivore: Eats poultry and fish but no red meat or tofu.

Omnivore: Eats meat but only in social situations, like restaurants or with family when it would "cause a scene" to act vegetarian.

Omnivore: Eats shellfish but no other sea life, poultry, or red meat.

Omnivore: Eats vegetarian food except when she *really* wants a burger, but that only happens maybe once or twice a year.

Vegan: Eats no animal products at all, including honey. Avoids animal-derived clothing, cleaning products, cosmetics, etc., including those tested on animals.

Vegan (pronounced "vague-un"): Eats only vague, unidentifiable foods, like puddings and tofu.

Strict vegetarian/dietary vegan: Eats no meat, eggs, or dairy, but might consume honey or trace ingredients.

Lazy vegan: Eats vegan but sometimes pretends not to see trace ingredients, or might buy brand-name toilet paper when there's no recycled stuff on the shelf.

Raw Foodie: Eats only foods not heated beyond 140 degrees F (I think, anyway. Someone probably should correct me on this).

Shyatarian: Is too afraid of conflict to eat the way they want to, and so caves to social pressure. But we understand.

Freegan: Eats whatever is lying around.

Beegan: Respects all animal life universally, except for bees (and possibly other insects).

Petatarian: Follows veg*n ideals but feeds animal friends meat, often factory-farmed. Politically corect name: companionanimalatarian.

Nopetatarian: Follows veg*n ideals and refuses to feed animal friends meat, but has no real solutions to the overpopulation of cats and dogs in shelters, many of whom face euthanization. Technical name: Notmyproblematarian.

Flexatarian: Eats meat occasionally, but prefers to eat veg*n most of the time. Usually does so for health benefits.

Farmatarian: Eats vegan except when taking animal products directly from the animal, so as to ensure their humane treatment (eg vegans who own chickens and eat their eggs).

Freakoutatarian: Eats veg*n and freaks out whenever the littlest animal-related incident crosses their radar, such as seeing a stranger across the room in a crowded public place order a hamburger. "I was TRAUMATIZED!" But we sympathize with them, too.

Snobatarian: Follows one of the above philosophies and can't understand why you don't too, because obviously every philosophy fits every set of circumstances, without exception.

Smugatarian: As snobatarian, but used to eat just like you until they saw the error of their ways.

Yuckatarian: Would eat vegetarian but hates everything except meat. Alternately: a veg*n who is always hungry because he hates everything he's eating.

Hypochondratarian: Attributes every cough, sniffle, headache, and tummy growl to dietary changes implemented in the last 15 minutes.

Grooveatarian: Doesn't care how anyone eats but herself. Like, to each his own, man.

Policeatarian: Eats according to one of the above labels, and also gives a running commentary and judgement on what you eat. Can be omnivore as well as veg*n.

Veg*n: Shorthand for "vegetarian or vegan."

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Those are good definitions, but don't quite cover all the diets out there, particularly ones that come up on these boards.

Lacto-Ovo Vegetarian: Eats dairy and eggs but no animals.

Lacto Vegetarian: Eats dairy but no eggs or meat.

Ovo Vegetarian: Eats eggs but no dairy or meat.

Omnivore: Eats anything.

Omnivore: Eats fish but no poultry or red meat.

Omnivore: Eats poultry and fish but no red meat or tofu.

Omnivore: Eats meat but only in social situations, like restaurants or with family when it would "cause a scene" to act vegetarian.

Omnivore: Eats shellfish but no other sea life, poultry, or red meat.

Omnivore: Eats vegetarian food except when she *really* wants a burger, but that only happens maybe once or twice a year.

Vegan: Eats no animal products at all, including honey. Avoids animal-derived clothing, cleaning products, cosmetics, etc., including those tested on animals.

Vegan (pronounced "vague-un"): Eats only vague, unidentifiable foods, like puddings and tofu.

Strict vegetarian/dietary vegan: Eats no meat, eggs, or dairy, but might consume honey or trace ingredients.

Lazy vegan: Eats vegan but sometimes pretends not to see trace ingredients, or might buy brand-name toilet paper when there's no recycled stuff on the shelf.

Raw Foodie: Eats only foods not heated beyond 140 degrees F (I think, anyway. Someone probably should correct me on this).

Shyatarian: Is too afraid of conflict to eat the way they want to, and so caves to social pressure. But we understand.

Freegan: Eats whatever is lying around.

Beegan: Respects all animal life universally, except for bees (and possibly other insects).

Petatarian: Follows veg*n ideals but feeds animal friends meat, often factory-farmed. Politically corect name: companionanimalatarian.

Nopetatarian: Follows veg*n ideals and refuses to feed animal friends meat, but has no real solutions to the overpopulation of cats and dogs in shelters, many of whom face euthanization. Technical name: Notmyproblematarian.

Flexatarian: Eats meat occasionally, but prefers to eat veg*n most of the time. Usually does so for health benefits.

Farmatarian: Eats vegan except when taking animal products directly from the animal, so as to ensure their humane treatment (eg vegans who own chickens and eat their eggs).

Freakoutatarian: Eats veg*n and freaks out whenever the littlest animal-related incident crosses their radar, such as seeing a stranger across the room in a crowded public place order a hamburger. "I was TRAUMATIZED!" But we sympathize with them, too.

Snobatarian: Follows one of the above philosophies and can't understand why you don't too, because obviously every philosophy fits every set of circumstances, without exception.

Smugatarian: As snobatarian, but used to eat just like you until they saw the error of their ways.

Yuckatarian: Would eat vegetarian but hates everything except meat. Alternately: a veg*n who is always hungry because he hates everything he's eating.

Hypochondratarian: Attributes every cough, sniffle, headache, and tummy growl to dietary changes implemented in the last 15 minutes.

Grooveatarian: Doesn't care how anyone eats but herself. Like, to each his own, man.

Policeatarian: Eats according to one of the above labels, and also gives a running commentary and judgement on what you eat. Can be omnivore as well as veg*n.

Veg*n: Shorthand for "vegetarian or vegan."
Hahahahaha, sorry, but that was hilarious.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Quote:

LOL!! That's the best one!!

(and, unfortunately, you actually do come across this type)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Omg, those were great. You may have forgotten the lazy lacto-ovo vegetarian, who just replaces meat with massive amounts of cheese XD

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
I would also add a subset of strict vegetarianism:

Dotatarian: the Pacman diet.

Otherwise, the list's pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:

Vegan (pronounced "vague-un"): Eats only vague, unidentifiable foods, like puddings and tofu."
I thought this was a bit funny, I did not realize that we were eating "unidentifiable" foods

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
at that list.

Quote:
okay.
temperature should not exceed 115. I've heard as high as 118 but 115 is good.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
That list was hilarious! Good job!

And yeah... I hear people pronounce it "vague-un" all the time. It's odd. Usually by meatasauruses

·
Registered
180 Posts
"Freakoutatarian: Eats veg*n and freaks out whenever the littlest animal-related incident crosses their radar, such as seeing a stranger across the room in a crowded public place order a hamburger. "I was TRAUMATIZED!" But we sympathize with them, too."

Ok that was right there was so tight LOL. Too funny hahaha. I'm still laughing at that one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts