VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really really good roll up mattress on order from a camping store and was thingking of getting rid of my old broken bed and using that instead. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the down sides to doing this, cheers.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
No downside to throwing away the broken bed. Sleeping on the floor can be nice, but harder to get up in the morning.

I don't know what kind of camping bed you have ordered, but I know someone who slept on one for a while that made sex kind of difficult.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Downside for me would be pulling myself off of the floor in the morning.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
If your mattress isn't totally shot, you can just put that on the floor. I would think it would be a lot more comfortable than a camping bed, or you could put the camping bed on top of it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I sleep on the floor when I go home for the Christmas holidays... it's not that bad, unless you have pets that take this as an excuse to walk all over you while you're sleeping. It can also give the illusion of the room being bigger - especially if you remove all the furniture, like someone did to my old bedroom!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

If your mattress isn't totally shot, you can just put that on the floor. I would think it would be a lot more comfortable than a camping bed, or you could put the camping bed on top of it.
Yeah, that makes sense

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I also like this idea.

I have my box spring and mattress directly on the floor. I prefer it that way plus it eliminates the requirement of having to clean under the bed! It's also convenient for my dog who doesn't have to jump so high now to get on the bed.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I had a mattress on the floor in one of the apartments I lived in during college, because I couldn't afford real furniture back then. My biggest complaint was not having a place to sit in my bedroom, other than on the floor. I usually get dressed in the bedroom, and like sitting down to put on my shoes and socks, and I had to go into the living room to do that. And it made getting up and down from the bed tougher, which doesn't seem that bad when you're wide awake, but when you're half asleep, either when you're going to bed or waking up, it actually makes a big difference.

Personally, I'm sticking with real beds from now on.

--Fromper

·
Registered
711 Posts
Is there any way you can put your bed in storage for a couple of weeks, so you can try out the idea before completely doing away with your bed? That way you don't have to buy a new bed if you change your mind.

·
Vegan Very Metal
774 Posts
Perhaps you might have a few more insects or arachnids crawling on you if you slept on the floor.

I slept on the floor for about four months, some years ago, using just a sleeping bag and two covers, and a couple of cushions of course, and had no problems at all, infact it was quite relaxing.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGoddess View Post

Is there any way you can put your bed in storage for a couple of weeks, so you can try out the idea before completely doing away with your bed? That way you don't have to buy a new bed if you change your mind.
Not really because I sleep at someone elses house. The floor space i plan to sleep in would be if i couldnt sleep with my lady friend anymore for what ever reason. Yes i am very paranoid about my relationships lol.

I think Ill do it! Hmm maybe I should get another book shelf or something or a rug!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Not to mention that it's harder to find a new lady friend when you don't have a proper bed. I slept on the floor for over five years back when times were tough, I wouldn't recommend it to someone who has a choice.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
My bed frame is right on the floor. It used to be part of an old bunk bed (it was the top bunk), but we moved, removed the legs, and never put them back on, so it sits right on the floor, and now my pug just takes a small step up onto the bed. I don't know of any downsides to it, I also have no problem pulling myself up in the morning. It feels actually easier to get up, I just roll out of bed and I'm up, instead of feeling dizzy and off the ground and having to get up and step up off the bed. My only downside is that my blinds for the windows are cheap and broken (they won't close all the way) so the light lets in right at that angle in the morning onto my bed since i sleep right near the window, but that doesn't really have to do with the height of my bed unless you have cheap broken blinds that let light in toward the ground onto your bed, too

Edit: just saw this
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post

Perhaps you might have a few more insects or arachnids crawling on you if you slept on the floor.
Now I won't be able to sleep tonight. I never thought of that, that's freaky

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
^^
Yeh, especially in Aus where the spiders are big enough that they won't just crawl on you, they'll drag you away.

·
Banned
2,587 Posts
Do it!

I sleep on the floor, have been for over 7 years. I have a normal bed with a mattress but choose to sleep on the floor for many reasons. First of all it is really good for your back, soft cushiony mattresses are not good for spine health, the firmer the better like the floor.
I just use a blanket on the floor and 3-4 pillows around my shoulders and head. My bf (also sleeps on the floor) just got a tempurpedic mattress topper and uses that on the floor on his side under the blanket, it feels nice but i prefer just a blanket on the floor myself.
When I started sleeping on the floor it was bc my shoulders and neck were hurting so badly when I woke up I was willing to try anything. After a few nights of adjusting I will never go back to sleeping on a bed i feel so much better. even when i go to hotels or stay over at places i find a place on the floor, sleeping on a bed now hurts my back and neck really badly.
a nice side benefit is that we have a lot more space in the room bc i put the blankets and pillows in the closet during the day.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

^^
Yeh, especially in Aus where the spiders are big enough that they won't just crawl on you, they'll drag you away.
That's just a myth. Only dingoes do that.

--Fromper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.