VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

Collard greens, corn bread, corn pudding/souffle, waffles (and fried chicken), BBQ, Black eyed peas, fried green tomatoes, sweet potato pie, mint juleps, pralines, Mac and cheese
Born & raised in the South my entire life & luvourmothers list is right on!
thumbsup.gif

Red beans & rice...as someone else mentioned above...dirty rice, po' boy sandwiches...

Fried Green Tomatoe Po' Boys!
drool.gif

·
Registered
132 Posts
As an omni, I never had chicken and waffles. Never heard of it, until recently and I gotta say I don't get it. One is sweet and the other is savory...what is it some sort of sweet chicken sandwich? I should probably google it...
tongue3.gif

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've always heard of it, but only tried vegan! It's delicious!

Esp. if the chik'n is seasoned, and the waffle light. A light fluffy biscuit and syrup would be good too!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm looking into the chicken and waffles, although I may have to buy a waffle cooker just so I can make these.

Does anybody know what would traditionally go into the non vegan friendly batter for the chicken?

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
Another wrinkle to the corn products discussion ... In British cooking "corn flour" is what we yanks call corn starch. I'm not sure about other parts of the world. Corn meal in the US is like finely ground polenta (at least I use it that way). In the north yellow corn meal is most common, Southern cooks use a lot of white corn meal. I'm not even gonna get into samp, hominey, and hominey grits. Let alone the Southwestern and Mexican staple masa harina, which is sometimes incorrectly called 'corn flour'.

On 'chicken and waffles', folks are describing the most common style - fried chicken served next to waffles. I make it Pennsylvania Dutch style (with chik'n or whatever) - the "chicken" shredded in a gravy and served over a waffle. It's not the most common style, but I prefer it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm finding stuff like this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/the-best-of/traditional-southern-fried-chicken-recipe/index.html

Quote:
  • 1 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 3 cups lard
and this:

http://www.seabrite.com/jeffs_great_american_eats/Southern_fried_chicken.htm

Quote:
Chicken parts of your choice - drumsticks/legs, thighs and wings work best (about ½ lb. / 252 grams of chicken per serving is generally considered appropriate).

1 pint to 1 quart of buttermilk (enough to marinate all the chicken).
Peanut oil for deep frying (about ¾ of a gallon / 2.84 liters).

SEASONED FLOUR:

1½ cup (340.2 g) flour
2 tsp. (9.54 g) garlic powder
2 tsp. (9.54 g) salt
1 tsp. (4.77 g) poultry seasoning
1½ tsp. (7.16 g) ground, black pepper

CRISPY BATTER:

2/3 cup (151.2 g) flour

½ tsp. (2.39 g) salt

1/8 tsp. (.6 g) ground, black pepper

1 Tbs. (14.15 g) cayenne (red-hot) pepper (optional)

1 envelope "Cup-O-Soup" brand powdered tomato soup mix - may substitute an envelope of Knorr brand powdered tomato soup mix, or any powdered cream soup mix with 1 Tbs. / 14.15 grams paprika added (optional)

2 envelopes "Good Seasons" brand powdered Italian dressing mix for that secret "KFC" touch (optional)
2 eggs, beaten (I use "Egg Beaters" fat-free)

1 quart (946 ml) buttermilk (I use low-fat)

1 cup (237 ml) water (use only ½ cup / 118.5 ml water for extra-crispy coating)
I don't know a substitution for buttermilk, but when breading different objects (like eggplant) I use coconut milk for the high fat content mixed with melted EB butter, then dredge in flour/ breadcrumbs.

I bet an ener-G egg replacer might suffice for the batter- you might have to play around with this one and experiment maybe on vegetables first.

If you get it just right, you could very well become a famous vegan......
wink3.gif

And I agree with Silva. I can't wait for you to post these.
hungry.gif

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks Mollycakes. That batter looks pretty straightforward, I should be able to adapt that quite easily. Now I just have to head out and buy a waffle maker!

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
So if you're doing a vegan fried chik'n would you use soymilk and vinegar for buttermilk?

I remember making fried chicken, soaking in milk, dredging in seasoned flour, dipping in milk and more flour. I didn't use eggs.

I used to bread Gardein chikn fillets (?), they were plain I think. My sons liked them a lot, but said they were more like pork chops.

I don't know what would be best to sub for the chik'n.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Yeah I was going to try it in the "buttermilk", so it's more authentic. It seems from my research that is doesn't normally require eggs anyway, so that's easy.

I think I'll have to experiment a bit with using different chicken substitutes.

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I just had a sample of batter fried tofu. SOOOO GOOOOD!

·
Riot Nrrrd
3,180 Posts
For more detailed info on southern cornbread vs. northern, see page 34 in The Cornbread Gospels by Crescent Dragonwagon. There is a preview including that page on Google books at http://books.google.com/books?id=3sdQ-MtWRMkC&printsec=frontcover&dq=cornbread+diaries&hl=en&sa=X&ei=3lnQUML3HbTE0AHb-oHYDw&ved=0CEUQuwUwAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

BTW, great blog post QiTian! Gourmandize etc. is one of my favorite recipe blogs.

Super psyched to see bulgur wheat in the recipe! I've been using bulgur in chili for years, but it's not as common as it should be. It's a GREAT textural element. I don't bother flavoring it at all. 1/2 cup bulgur and 1 cup liquid can added to any chili recipe if anyone wants to try it ...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
21 - 40 of 47 Posts