VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a meat eater and eat lots of protein and wanted to make the switch and wanted to know which one would be better to transition to?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Its really up to you, and what feels right for you. In my opinion, for me personally, i transitioned slowly into vegetarianism. It was really natural for me, and I really didnt even notice it!

If you're a huge meater, and you think transitioning is going to be hard for you, I would suggest going slowly. Maybe start by cutting out red meat first and have a few vegetarian/vegan days a week.

If you want to be Vegan, and you are a cold turkey kind of a person, then you should do it that way! Do what is right for you. Good luck

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans91 View Post

I'm a meat eater and eat lots of protein and wanted to make the switch and wanted to know which one would be better to transition to?
Are you asking which diet is better for protein?

·
Registered
585 Posts
My transition was from omni to vegan. I think it was the best way for me b/c even having a little meat or cheese would make me want MORE meat or cheese. I did it cold turkey (or cold tofurkey, hahaha omg I am so clever
) and it wasn't difficult at all. Just need to make sure you are doing your meal planning and grocery shopping with the plan in mind.

hope that helps
Mary

PS I was a huge meateater too. Beans/lentils/quinoa etc have all the protein you need.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Vegetarian is a very good stepping stone, a lot easier than instantly switching to vegan, though it does take longer. So do you want it hard and fast, or easy and slow?

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
a vegan *is* a vegetarian.....so ....I'd say the number one benefit between the two, if it's a vegetarian that consumes eggs & dairy, buys leather, etc., versus a vegan, is that a vegan doesn't intentionally harm animals.

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

I would get your feet wet with vegetarianism first. It's more likely to stick long term.
I never understand this argument. It's like saying to a serial killer, "why not stop killing the people whose names begin with 'P', and see how much better you feel?"

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhanger View Post

I never understand this argument. It's like saying to a serial killer, "why not stop killing the people whose names begin with 'P', and see how much better you feel?"
Because with the exception of 1 or 2 people, every single vegan I've known has gone straight back to meat eating because it wasn't "realistic" and "too hard." More people I know have struck to vegetarianism, because it's more flexible when eating out.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Because with the exception of 1 or 2 people, every single vegan I've known has gone straight back to meat eating because it wasn't "realistic" and "too hard." More people I know have struck to vegetarianism, because it's more flexible when eating out.
I agree. I tried to go vegan overnight, and it didn't work. My first couple attempts resulted into me eating meat again. Then I realized that I have to take it slow. I decided going vegetarian for a while first would be better. And now I only cook vegan, but eating out I'll not be as strict. And eventually, I will be vegan. We are all different and different things work better for different people.

·
Premium Member
34,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ade903 View Post

I agree. I tried to go vegan overnight, and it didn't work. My first couple attempts resulted into me eating meat again. Then I realized that I have to take it slow. I decided going vegetarian for a while first would be better. And now I only cook vegan, but eating out I'll not be as strict. And eventually, I will be vegan. We are all different and different things work better for different people.
Exactly.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

I tried to go vegan overnight and I did.

OP, vegans go all the way. :wink:
Yes, it'd be rather hard to take it in all at once.

It's better to relax, or you'll find yourself gagging on all that food in no time.

Wait, this isn't the pervert thread?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If you are asking specifically about health benefits, there is no health benefit to going vegan vs. going vegetarian.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

If you are asking specifically about health benefits, there is no health benefit to going vegan vs. going vegetarian.
I have to disagree. I have read many studies that discuss how dairy can be linked to seasonal allergies, cancer, asthma, etc., even more than meat. The fats in plant based foods are healthy for you, where animal fats (including in dairy and eggs) are not.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Giving up dairy and eggs doesn't make you vegan though.

I eat no animal products of any kind right now (meat, dairy, eggs, honey and so on) but I am not vegan.

There is no health benefit to giving up leather, wool, etc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

Giving up dairy and eggs doesn't make you vegan though.

I eat no animal products of any kind right now (meat, dairy, eggs, honey and so on) but I am not vegan.

There is no health benefit to giving up leather, wool, etc.
When most people discuss becoming vegetarian vs. vegan when they are new to it they are usually discussing the diet aspect of it. Although veganism has more to it than just what you eat I don't want anyone misunderstanding that there is no benefit from the diet aspect. Especially since most people see vegetarians as lacto-ovo and do not realize there is a distinction.

This being on a new to vegetarianism thread I think we need to make that distinction when someone discusses the difference between the two.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts