VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help with finding good vegan shoes for running. I recently bought a pair of shoes that are nice but the bottoms are elevated almost and I feel like when I wear really thick socks, my feet might slip out of them. I'll try running with them, but just in case it doesnt work out, I'd like some suggestions on shoes I can wear while running

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you take a look at the running shoes in sports stores, many brands have synthetic models.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Options:
I wear a pair of Earth shoes right now. Got them from Zappos.
I have friends who run and they wear Vibram 5 Fingers. They're vegan so I assume they bought the vegan ones (Vibram makes some shoes out of kangaroo skins! ewww!).
Asics makes or used to make a couple vegan versions.
You can also browse hiking shoes (which strangely seem to often be more vegan-friendly) and look for "trail-runners" that can be used on multiple surfaces for running. That's what I used to do and that's what I'm going to do when these Earth shoes wear out. I like the look of trail shoes.
Take a look at the online vegan stores. They will often have a shoe section.
And if you're not super strict about glue and whatnot (and you're not super picky about your running shoes) then just pick up some synthetic running shoes at a discount store like Target or Walmart or whatever.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My New Balances are vegan.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Most running shoes actually don't contain leather. I don't worry about whether or not the glues might be vegan.

If you're interested, you might read up on "barefoot running." Basically the idea is that most running shoes have a lot of cushion, which actually may not be helping prevent injuries. In some cases, the way traditional running shoes are structured may actually create more injuries (for example, "motion control" shoes). For more info I'd recommend the Runner's World Barefoot forum. The important thing with running barefoot or in minimal shoes is to start with very short distances (1 block) and increase your distance slowly.

Many minimal/barefoot running shoes are vegan--for example, Vibram fivefingers like ElaineV mentioned, but avoid the newer and more expensive kangaroo skin and wool varieties. Or you can actually run in $10-20 water shoes. Some minimal shoes are a little more expensive upfront, but keep in mind that you will only need to replace them when the upper wears out, unlike regular running shoes which need to be replaced every 300-400 miles due to breakdown of the cushioning (or, for me every 6 months as I would get runner's knee if my shoes were getting older even though I never put 300 miles on them). I have heard of people getting 1000 miles or more out of Vibram fivefingers.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I bought those Saucony Originals in black from Zappos a week or so ago and used them for my first run ever and they felt fine.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

I bought those Saucony Originals in black from Zappos a week or so ago and used them for my first run ever and they felt fine.
Careful with those. I wore mine for running for a while, but ended up injured because the heel counter (the part the covers your heel in the back) is too high and rigid and irritated my achilles tendon.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

Careful with those. I wore mine for running for a while, but ended up injured because the heel counter (the part the covers your heel in the back) is too high and rigid and irritated my achilles tendon.
Ew. Well I just started running last week and so far have only run twice for 15 min. each so maybe when I get more advanced I'll look into better shoes.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

Ew. Well I just started running last week and so far have only run twice for 15 min. each so maybe when I get more advanced I'll look into better shoes.
Not trying to scare you, but for me the pain came on suddenly after I had been running in the shoes for a couple weeks. My achilles tendon area and ankle swelled up, I spent a couple of days hobbling around and had to take a week off running. Everyone is different, but I would seriously look into some different shoes as the heel counter really is unusually high in those Saucony's when you compare them with any other athletic shoes (or even many casual shoes). I just don't want you to get turned off by an injury so early on.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

My New Balances are vegan.
I was going to mention them. New Balance shoes are either all leather or all non-leather, so it's easy to figure out which are vegan.

--Fromper

·
Registered
824 Posts
Merrell pace gloves for me, or asics. But seriously love the pace gloves.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Running sneaker dilemma:
I need new sneakers and I need them to be fitted (where you go to the store, they have you put your wet feet on paper and recommend or make a shoe that fits your arches). I have back issues so I need ones that fit like a glove. I also have 1/4" more length in one leg- weird I know, but it messes me up. I need more support in my one shoe.

My problem is there is only one store here in Buffalo that provides this service and I called, the salesperson says they do not carry vegan shoes- only a handful of brands. thy won't order them in for me either.

Does anybody know of any stores that provide this service in New York, Pennsylvania, or Ohio? (my parents live there I visit them once in a while) Maybe I can shoot somewhere for the day to get me some fitted vegan running shoes?

I have a half marathon in May.

·
Registered
642 Posts
My mother works at Sports Authority, and for Christmas she got me a pair of Nike running shoes that are vegan. She said that they actually have a good variety there of running shoes that don't contain any leather.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Its hard communicating with salespeople over the phone
I called a couple stores in cities outside my area and as soon as you say the word "vegan running shoes" they say "No."

Then I list some of the brands, and then they say- "oh yeah- we have those!"
:/

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Bird View Post

My mother works at Sports Authority, and for Christmas she got me a pair of Nike running shoes that are vegan. She said that they actually have a good variety there of running shoes that don't contain any leather.
thanks! I'll check them out!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've heard that new balance has some veg*n friendly shoes. When I researched it online, I found out they don't combine synthetic materials with leather.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

I'm liking this shoe:
http://www.saucony.com/store/SiteCon...uctId=4-107110

Its not on any "vegan friendly sneaker" search that I have done, but I found the material listing ^^
I know this is dumb, but all of these materials are synthetic, right? I was just curious as to why they weren't listed vegan.
They probably forced rats to run in them to test for side effects.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts