VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no idea. Im getting tired of my girlfriend and my family offering me meat all the time. My friends also give me crap about not eating meat. They say i wont get enough protien and all that jazz.

·
Herbivorous Urchin
9,717 Posts
"No. I. Am. Veg*n, and It's not changing."

Tell them it's not their business, and they should worry about their own nutrient intake. And, cholesterol intake for that matter.

·
Banned
1,243 Posts
well, the fact that your girlfriend would clearly know and understand that you do not eat meat and is still offering it to you is both disrespecful and offensive... my boyfriend would never do that.
I would just be like, listen I do not eat meat and never will so I would appreciate it if you would respect my views and opinions and stop offering it to me....

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

"No. I. Am. Veg*n, and It's not changing."

Tell them it's not their business, and they should worry about their own nutrient intake. And, cholesterol intake for that matter.
+1

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Just laugh, roll your eyes, change the subject. If you act really confident about who you are people tend to give up and leave you alone after awhile.

And maybe find a good website on vegetarian nutrition to show them? There's a difference between people mocking you for being different and being genuinely worried because they think you need meat to be healthy. If your friends/family are actually just misinformed it's pretty easy to set them straight and show them the facts, you have LOADS of information on your side.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Go to a pet store and get one of those electric collars for them. Then every time they offer you meat, hit the button to deliver a small shock while, at the same time, saying in a firm tone of voice "No! Bad friends, very bad!" Pretty soon they will associate giving you meat with getting a small shock and, eventually, they won't even have to actually wear the collar.

In all honesty, though, it doesn't bother me, and it is for that reason that my friends don't bother doing it. If they did, I would not freak out, nor would I say no in an angry manner. I would say something like "No, thanks for asking though." When it's not fun, they won't see a reason to do it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad888 View Post

Go to a pet store and get one of those electric collars for them. Then every time they offer you meat, hit the button to deliver a small shock while, at the same time, saying in a firm tone of voice "No! Bad friends, very bad!" Pretty soon they will associate giving you meat with getting a small shock and, eventually, they won't even have to actually wear the collar.
i completely support this

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I'd be tempted to say something sarcastic,
but since individuals like my brother and his "there's plenty of grass out in the yard" comment
before his wedding are the norm for me, I find myself resisting the urge to comment at all just to save a fight.

That said, if you want one of my zingers to use, Try:
"Sure I'll eat that steak when you go outside and eat the dog pile on the lawn."
or some derivation thereof.

It won't make you any friends but the point will be crystal clear.

Experience has taught me that people get their jollies pulling stunts like that after it's common knowledge you've gone veggie, and making nice just makes for more frustration on your part.

BTW I do apologize to anyone I may have offended with this post.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Send out invitations to all of them for a family get together. Then sit them all down and tell them they are going to get a veg*nism lesson. Explain to them that it is obvious they are having trouble grasping the concept of veg*nism and you are going to explain it in simple terms they should be able to understand.

First hold up a chart with simply drawn animals (pigs, cows, chickens, fish, etc) with big red X's through them. Then show them another chart with things like fruits, vegetables, grains, etc with big green circles around them. Tell them handouts will be available to take home with them if they think they will have trouble remembering what they saw.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:

In all honesty, though, it doesn't bother me, and it is for that reason that my friends don't bother doing it. If they did, I would not freak out, nor would I say no in an angry manner. I would say something like "No, thanks for asking though." When it's not fun, they won't see a reason to do it.
This is what I was trying to say with my post but you said it much better.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Or if there is a dog/cat around, you could just accept the meat when they offer it and then give it to the pet. When they ask what you're doing, just say "I thought it was for (insert pet name here), since you know I'm a veg*n and don't eat meat."

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessickah View Post

well, the fact that your girlfriend would clearly know and understand that you do not eat meat and is still offering it to you is both disrespecful and offensive... my boyfriend would never do that.
I would just be like, listen I do not eat meat and never will so I would appreciate it if you would respect my views and opinions and stop offering it to me....
Agreed.

--Fromper

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You could offer them vegetables, constantly. When they say "Would you like some meat." say "No. Would you like some potatoes?" Carry popcorn or nuts on you at all times in case they ask you.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:

Yes this is how I handle it and it really works.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
my family and friends dont do this cause its been soooo long since I went Veg but if I am around a new person and they offer it to me I just say no thanks and move on....

Peace

·
Registered
908 Posts
Pretty much never happens to me but when it does, I tend to just **** an eyebrow (or both, can't do them indivually...
) and look at them like "Haha, what?" until they get the point. Usually works.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfire512 View Post

"Sure I'll eat that steak when you go outside and eat the dog pile on the lawn."
or some derivation thereof.
I would say this more as a joke, but that would definitely be something I'd throw at them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindred View Post

I have no idea. Im getting tired of my girlfriend and my family offering me meat all the time. My friends also give me crap about not eating meat. They say i wont get enough protien and all that jazz.
Every time you post about your gf, it's always something unsupportive of you.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

Every time you post about your gf, it's always something unsupportive of you.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Is this even a relationship you want to be in?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Stab them in the hand with a salad fork. They won't ask again. Works for me.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Is this even a relationship you want to be in?
She's a Victoria's Secret model. He'll overlook anything.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts