VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this a few weeks ago.

What are people from your home town called?

I now live in Munich, or München to give it its German name, people here are Müncheners.

Before, when I lived in the UK, I lived in Bristol, where people are Bristolians.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Local Bloomington, Indiana people used to be called "stonies" because of the stone-cutting industry. Some of my ancestors were stonies.

Then that movie* came out and the moviemakers decided to call the locals "cutters" instead, because "stonie" had come to have Other Associations. Now there are a whole lot of people that believe that local Bloomingtonites were called "cutters" all along.

*"Breaking Away" -- fun to watch for local scenery. "There's that house on South Washington!" "There's Dave Jones!" "Look at how many trees there used to be on Kirkwood!" ha ha

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Most of you will know where I'm from. I'm from the lovely town of Blackpool, which now seems to be losing some of its white-trashiness, as time progresses.

Anyhow, people from Blackpool are known as "Seasiders" This is because Blackpool is the town which is "beside the seaside" and it is a tourist hotpot. In the early 1900's, Blackpool was the biggest tourist hotspot in Britain, and it still is popular today, for it's beaches which barely scrape recognition as not being toxic, and for the tackiness. Anyway, the residents of Backpool came to be known as Seasiders, I guess. Also, Blackpool Football Club (That's real football, not that dodgy rugby spin-off.) is nicknamed "The Seasiders" so I guess that football rivalry means that people from Blackpool are called "seasiders"

Well, that's the story as I see it. Here's a pic of my hometown:

http://invitation.to/dance/photo-eng...pool-tower.jpg

pretty nifty, eh? That beach you see is probably the reason why I'm a "seasider"

·
Registered
0 Posts
People from Ohio are called Buckeye's...the buckeye tree is our state's tree, plus the champion Ohio State Buckeye's are here!

(for those of you that aren't from the US, Ohio State is a university).

And being that we are in the north, some folks call us Yanks (which is least favorable).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts