VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what else do you do on top of being vegan / vegetarian?

i thought this would be a good thread to see what others are up to in their local areas.

i'll go first ......

+ set up an info table at concerts and have literature for people to take for free.

+ sell a range of buttons/pins, t-shirts, videos, books, zines, nutrition chart and stickers

+ have an online resource/info network for vegans and vegetarians including recipes, info, interviews with bands and so forth.

+ started our own vegan cooking group in our local town

+ take part in demos and rally's to bring attention to issues concering animal rights (and other issues - anti war etc)

+ attend national festivals and have stalls (plus international too - yay for london vegan festival)

plus more to come .......

i want to hear more ideas !!!!!!!

LL

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
The last two years I've volunteered at the Humane Society. When I volunteer 40 hours a year my employer donates $500. I need to get my butt in gear this year.

I also belong to an animal rights/welfare group at Illinois State University. Tried to start a vegetarian group but it turned out to be the same people.
We've gone to Farm Sanctuary, protested the circus a few times, and shut down a fur store for the day.

I help to feed and care for two colonies of feral cats, have done that for a few years now.

I suppose that's about it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
excellent!

that's great your employer donates $500.

i would love to go to farm sanctuary. did you go to the new york one or the california one?

i went to hillside animal sanctuary in england it was beatutiful

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
New York. It was awesome. We stayed overnight in one of the cabins there. Spent the next day at the state park in town. That was a lot of fun too, I definitely recommend that anyone visiting do both. Just be prepared to walk up a lot of steps! They actually sell bus tickets to get you back down to your car. *lol*

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I've been volunteering at the local humane society for about 3 1/2 years. I also send lots of emails to my elected officials regarding pending pro-animal legislation.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I've protested outside a Circus (always the same one) several times, handed out battery Hen information leaflettes in the city, and protested/handed out leaflettes outside a bar in Sydney that has two Sharks in a tank as a "fixture".

I need to get back into it..... I have become slack.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm jealous, With_Open_Eyes. I've been a supporter of Hillside Sanctuary for several years now. But, I've never got round to visiting.

As for your original question. I've been involved with the animal rights movement for many years now. I've been to more demo's than I care to remember. Must have walked hundreds of miles. The demo's were much bigger back in the 80's, with thousands turning up to each one. But, people got disillusioned, and drifted away. Far fewer people turn up for demo's now. But, they seem much more comitted. It was great to be a part of the campaigns which closed down Hillgrove, Shamrock Farm etc.. I went to both of those places several times. It's going to be a major boost for the movement when HLS closes. As it undoubtedly will. I've just discovered that there's a coach running from my home town up to Cambridge for the World Day for laboratory animals demo on the 19th. I must book my place soon.

·
Registered
750 Posts
i dont do any activism anymore

i tried to start up a group here, but failed miserably

ill try again though, eventually

what sucks is i cant get arrested even if i wanted to, because my future employer's insurance would drop me, which means no job

Caroline

ps, farm sanctuary in NY angered me very much. i brought them a sheep... i tell them the sheep has a name... i call up a while later and ask about the sheep, they say they have no such sheep

they renamed the sheep! and dont know which one she is!!!

!!!!!

grrr

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
That's nice that Farm Sanctuary took your sheep.

I don't do much activism right now. I'd like to start tabling.

I foster animals for our local no-kill shelter and volunteer there a few times a week. That's about it.

What website do you run, with_open_eyes? That's really cool that you do all that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that's cool. i like to hear what others are doing and get more ideas for what i can do at this particular point in time and situation.

hey kurmudgeon - i'm pretty sure i read about the two sharks at the bar in sydney, in vegan voice. do you have any updates as to whether they were freed or not? i hope so !!! grrrr

hey omega - you definately have to go to hillside! it is truly beautiful. so many happy animals that have been saved from certain death.

we had a personal tour with wendy, the founder, and she was so nice and took us around the whole place.

and we took so many photos, it was the best. you have to go there ok?

yes, down with HLS - it will happen.

awww i want to go back to cambridge. i have a very good friend who lives there who is heavily involved with the x-cape campaign.

we will get back there this year !!!

scareyvegan - awww that's not nice at all! i wonder why they would do such a thing as to change the name of the sheep ..... i bet you were angry! what "was" her/his name?

kpickell - my website is http://www.rootsofcompassion.org

i would really like to volunteer at the local animal refuge here. i just have to get the guts up to go there and try and speak german to them! haha "i waaant to walk zee dogggs" *with a germany accent* hehehe just kidding. when i have time i will look into it more

·
Registered
750 Posts
heh... the sheeps name was 'Lucky'

i know they change some of their names in order to protect them, but this wasnt the case

oh well

Caroline

1 - 12 of 12 Posts