VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

So I've been trying to loose around 10-20lbs since September and haven't gotten anywhere. It's a little frustrating, to say the least! I'm not overweight, but I'm over my body's natural weight and it's making me feel very very sluggish/unhealthy.

I became a vegan 2 years ago and gained about 30-40lbs. Eeek. It's pretty bad, I know, but to make up for the vitamins/protein/whatnot I'd be loosing on an omni diet, I had to add a little extra to my meals. (Plus, veggies aren't always the most filling. :x ) Also I was eating all the vegan junk food. Bad!

Well for the past year I've been eating much more healthier.

An average day is something like this:

Breakfast:
Cup of cereal (bran flaked) w/ cup of Soymilk. With an orange and yogurt as well.

Lunch-Apple with 2 tps Peanut butter and a cup of soymilk, with a serving of chickpeas/quinoa.

Dinner- Sweet potato w/ Hummus and spring mix salad.
(with serving or chickpeas and/or Green peas)

I might have another round of soy milk and cereal, and an orange or two throughout the day if hungry, but I try not to eat out of boredom, only if I'm hungry.

I also make sure to take some multi vitamins and b12 everyday.

I've actually been eating a pretty unvaried diet, which is bad I know. I think I've eaten a sweet potato for dinner for the past 2 weeks. : 0

On the weekends I might do some vegan baking, but I get the recipes from the fatfree vegan website and make sure that I eat the serving sizes, so I don't eat too many of them. (Plus I think they are a weeee bit healthier than some of the other recipes floating about/vegan pre-packaged junk food).

I think those baking days are my only days of eating refined flour (or whatever the term is.) I'm not a a bread eater, except muffins/cookies/ baked goods.

I live a pretty sedentary life.
I'm in college for animation, which requires a lot of sitting- so from 8am-7pm I'm basically sitting. :x It's pretty bad.
I walk up and down 14 flights of stairs twice throughout the day, but that's not much exercise.
I've been going to the gym recently for about 30-60 minutes a day during my lunch brake and burn about 300-400 calories, then do some weight exercises for my arms and legs.
I also have DDR and do maybe 30 minutes of that during the evenings.

I'm not too sure what I'm doing wrong, but I think it might have to do with my lack of exercise?
I think I'm eating healthy enough, and I make sure I'm eating no less than 1300 calories a day, unless I work out a lot I make sure to have a good amount of energy so I don't get exhausted. I don't really count calories, so I'm sure I'm eating more then that, but I try to have a vague knowledge of the amount I'm eating at least. I just try not to obsess about it.
I think it's more important to know what I'm eating is healthy and nutritious rather than it's caloric information.

I don't really care all that much about the number I weigh, I just want to feel/look/be healthier!

I hope you guys know what's up with my diet, because I'm lost in the dark on this one!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I know you said you walk up a couple flights of stairs but if that is your only exercise I'd recommend doing more. Exercise is one of the main reasons people dont lose weight. Also you didn't list this but if you are drinking pop or "juices" that are high in glucose stop. They are the #1 reasons for childhood obesity. and last but not least alcohol. Alcohol is full of empty calories.
Edit: just out of curiosity how tall are you and what is your weight?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Nope, I'm not a soda or juice drinker. I think my only calorie filled drink would be Soymilk/almond milk.
I don't drink Alcohol either. :>

I go to the gym 4 times a week, and do 30-40 minutes of exercise there, and about 30 minutes of home exercises. (dancing and stretches mainly)

I'm 5'4 and around 138 lbs.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'd say your fine, thats not over weight by any means. also working out can cause weight gain, it might just be a gain from muscle mass?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't need a change in your diet. You need a friggin therapist for thinking you need to lose more weight! (okay I'm kidding...or maybe not...I dunno)...I do know is that there is a certain point you need to consider if you're need to be thinner is a matter of health or a matter of being superficial. It's great if you're concerned about health, but also remember there is a certain point where body fat is still needed in order to maintain functioning. It's nice to be sexy thin, but to become ill or die because of vain needs to be as thin as possible is just retarded.

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
Your diet looks to be VERY low in calories and not balanced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I gained the weight without doing exercise, and it shows. So the weight I gained was from eating junk, not healthy muscle gain. Sad faceeee.
I wish I were this weight and looked healthy and fit, but I'm pretty flabby. I wouldn't mind being this number, I just wish it was because I had a lot of muscle instead of fat. : o

Maybe i'm getting more muscles, but I look about the same since September! D: Ahhh.
(I've only started working out in the past 3 months though.)
It seems like no matter how healthy I eat or how much exercise I do, I can't loose the wobbly bits.

I hope I'm getting some muscle though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Really...hon you should really focus less on your image and worry more about much more important things. Unless you're ranking up their on Ripley's Believe It or Not's Lard Ass list, then you shouldn't be too concerned. Honestly, I'm not trying to rip on you and I think it's great you want a good body and health, but also don't let it be an absolute concern for you. Enjoy you're life first in moderation, then worry about your figure. There are many many guys who would love you for your body, and that feeling of it being not good enough is something we all feel. It's self doubt, not reality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chem1990 View Post

You don't need a change in your diet. You need a friggin therapist for thinking you need to lose more weight! (okay I'm kidding...or maybe not...I dunno)...I do know is that there is a certain point you need to consider if you're need to be thinner is a matter of health or a matter of being superficial. It's great if you're concerned about health, but also remember there is a certain point where body fat is still needed in order to maintain functioning. It's nice to be sexy thin, but to become ill or die because of vain needs to be as thin as possible is just retarded.
I didn't say I wanted to loose weight so I can be sexy. : 0 Believe me, that's the last thing I want to be considered.
I've been around 115-120lbs until I started my vegan diet and gained a lot of unhealthy weight because of all the junk foods I ate in the beginning.
I lost some of the weight once I cut out the junk food, but I still have some weight I'd like to loose to get back to my regular weight, or at least the state of health I was before going vegan.

I agree with you on what you're saying, but I do need to get in better shape before I feel healthier.
(Also. There are girls who struggle with Eating disorders and I don't think you should approach them like this, though.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Really...hon you should really focus less on your image and worry more about much more important things. Unless you're ranking up their on Ripley's Believe It or Not's Lard Ass list, then you shouldn't be too concerned. Honestly, I'm not trying to rip on you and I think it's great you want a good body and health, but also don't let it be an absolute concern for you. Enjoy you're life first in moderation, then worry about your figure. There are many many guys who would love you for your body, and that feeling of it being not good enough is something we all feel. It's self doubt, not reality.
I understand you're trying to be funny and all, so I don't want to come off as rude, but I think you should tone down your jokes on eating disorders. I'm sure there are girls on here who suffer from them and it can be very triggering and insulting.

I have a lot of things in life that I'm focused on, but I think my body and the shape that it's in is a very important concern. You only get one and depending on how you take care of it can really affect everything in your life.

Well I certainly don't care what a guy thinks about my body. Gaining or loosing weight is for my health, not for someone else's pleasure. That's just silly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Your diet looks to be VERY low in calories and not balanced.
Yes I have a really hard time trying to vary my diet.
I make sure to eat no less than 1300 calories a day, and more when I work out. (but I try to keep it around 2000 calories.)
I know it probably sounds so, but I'm not a big calorie counter. I know the portions of what I eat and try to make sure I'm not overeating, but I'm not going to starve myself if I think I've gone over what I'd like to eat in a day.

I guess I need some help when it comes to varying my diet. I try to get proteins, veggies, fruits, and fat everyday but it seems like your right when you say I'm not eating enough.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The sad thing is, it's not a joke. There are models who really eat tissues to control their hunger. Yes I am screwing with you, and no I won't change my sense of humor for you or others. There are some who enjoy my sarcasm, there are those who don't. It's the nature of things, we like some things, and some things we don't. I certainly feel concern with other's body and shape and health, but I also feel that people take it too far. If they take what I say, or others say, too seriously then they need therapy, not a hug or any sort of reassurance. What I said to you was just being playful, and in general the REAL message I was trying to send to you was an actual caring one. The fact that I want you to focus on your quality of life, and not silly things like if you feel you're a little pudgy. I'm a big boy too, but I love myself and in general I find women love me for who I am. My physical status is unimportant because what matters most, how I live my life and the need for meeting great people is being satisfied. That's what I'd want to see you in, quality first before worrying about silly things like omg I'm a few pounds chubbier than I think I should be.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Pobey, maybe you should track your food intake and exercise with Sparkpeople.com or fitday.com. They helped me a lot when I was trying to get healthier. For what it's worth, though, your height/weight ratio is in the healthy range. Perhaps it would be better to focus on improving muscle tone instead of losing pounds.

Quote:

The sad thing is, it's not a joke. There are models who really eat tissues to control their hunger. Yes I am screwing with you, and no I won't change my sense of humor for you or others. There are some who enjoy my saracasm, there are those who don't. It's the nature of things, we like some things, and some things we don't. I certainly feel concern with other's body and shape and health, but I also feel that people take it too far. If they take what I say, or others say, too seriously then they need therapy, not a hug or any sort of reassurance. What I said to you was just being playful, and in general the REAL message I was trying to send to you was an actual caring one. The fact that I want you to focus on your quality of life, and not silly things like if you feel you're a little pudgy. I'm a big boy too, but I love myself and in general I find women love me for who I am. My physical status is unimportant because what matters most, how I live my life and the need for meeting great people is being satisfied. That's what I'd want to see you in, quality first before worrying about silly things like omg I'm a few pounds chubbier than I think I should be.
You're right. Eating disorders aren't a joke. You are the one making a joke out of them. I'm not sure these kind of comments are helpful to the OP in any way.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegansarawr View Post

also working out can cause weight gain, it might just be a gain from muscle mass?
This does happen. I too was frustrated by those "few extra pounds" because I wanted to see my abs and have a perfectly flat stomach. Well, I'm an all or nothing person so, I started exercising hitting the gym 5-6 days a week before work at 5:00a.m. (no I'm not a morning person it is shear force of will).

I hated doing cardio so I was lifting weights, but jump from one thing to another quickly trying to keep my heart rate up. After a few months, the cardio really started coming along, the days I do cardio I stay on that damn elliptical until I hit 1,000 calories burned. The better cardiovascular shape I got in, the better the weightlifting was coming along. I went from dropping pounds to putting them on. My body weight is about where I started but my stomach is now pretty flat. I've recently started to take in more calories to fill my bodies needs from working out so much (especially protein). I used to think people who worked out like this were, well,,, unstable, but I broke through the barrier and now I see what they were on to. It's an awesome feeling leaving the gym every morning before work. Anyway, I'm rambling at this point. Exercise is a big key in controlling your weight.

On a side note, I get kind of insulted when people see me trowing around weights and giving it hell on the elliptical and act surprised when I tell them I'm a Vegan, like I shouldn't be able to do any of this. As if Vegans, are unhealthy, weak, emaciated people on death's door step.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey rape isn't funny, yet george carlin made a good comment on that.

[comment edited]

See anything can be funny. But still dormouse, you're missing the point AFTER I explained myself of what I was trying to get out. Seriously, you want to focus on something stupid I said over something that was of actual quality? That I was trying to say value your life over what people like sexy mags and such tell us how we should look is unimportant to you over distasteful humor? Focus on whats important bud.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

The sad thing is, it's not a joke. There are models who really eat tissues to control their hunger. Yes I am screwing with you, and no I won't change my sense of humor for you or others. There are some who enjoy my sarcasm, there are those who don't. It's the nature of things, we like some things, and some things we don't. I certainly feel concern with other's body and shape and health, but I also feel that people take it too far. If they take what I say, or others say, too seriously then they need therapy, not a hug or any sort of reassurance. What I said to you was just being playful, and in general the REAL message I was trying to send to you was an actual caring one. The fact that I want you to focus on your quality of life, and not silly things like if you feel you're a little pudgy. I'm a big boy too, but I love myself and in general I find women love me for who I am. My physical status is unimportant because what matters most, how I live my life and the need for meeting great people is being satisfied. That's what I'd want to see you in, quality first before worrying about silly things like omg I'm a few pounds chubbier than I think I should be.
No no, I understand that women do put themselves through extreme means in order to loose weight. Of course. It's just that I'm sure there are girls on here who do go through these things you talk about, and it's not a laughing matter.
I don't think they are putting themselves through death to be sexy. It's a disorder that warps your view on eating and it really is a sickness that shouldn't be laughed at. These people are put through a lot of **** and it's a serious matter.
I know you were kidding, I'm not trying to attack you. I know what you were saying wasn't meant to be insulting to me either and thanks for all the advice.
But I just think some things shouldn't be joked about. I don't want someone with an ED to come into the thread and feel like more ****, you know?

I agree too in that we shouldn't be so self conscious about a few pounds. But remember I gained about 40 in less than a year, haaa. It was a disasterpiece.
I don't mind being jiggly here and there, but I'd like to feel a bit more healthy and get a bit more muscle before I stick to my jiggling ways.

I don't think it's a sin to want to have a flat stomach or some muscle though. Everyone has there preferences, and no, mine aren't based on what women look like in sexy magazine.
I just want to be where I was physically before going vegan.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Quote:

Hey rape isn't funny, yet george carlin made a good comment on that.

[comment edited]

See anything can be funny. But still dormouse, you're missing the point AFTER I explained myself of what I was trying to get out. Seriously, you want to focus on something stupid I said over something that was of actual quality? That I was trying to say value your life over what people like sexy mags and such tell us how we should look is unimportant to you over distasteful humor? Focus on whats important bud.
I don't think that rape joke is funny either, FWIW. Perhaps your intention was not to be offensive, but unfortunately, you don't get to choose whether or not people will be offended by what you say or whether people with eating disorders will be hurt by it.

Besides, I also think your advice to the OP is beside the point. I'm not sure why you're assuming that she is trying to live up to the standard she sees in magazines. It sounds to me like she has some legitimate concerns about diet, nutrition, and exercise, not that she wants to become Adriana Lima.

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Yes, I'm aware I've changed the thread title three times now. I still feel like I should alter it now to include rape survivors too, but that might make it way too long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well I'm going by the current height and weight she's given. It seems healthy to me. My comment was teasing at how much more should she want to lose? Until bones and organs showed?

I don't care in the slightest what you find funny, humor like many other things is individualized. If you don't care for what I said to her then fine, I can't change your opinion. Maybe I'm just more relaxed about body image in general, and have no issue with bigger people. Maybe my comment would be upsetting to others, but meh it's no one's right to tell some one else to be more concerned for others sensitivities. I will however agree to your concerns, and assume the possiblitiy that anyone who reads what I say are overly sensitive and need special care when it comes to what others say because they can't handle what others say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Again I understand the weight I'm at is a healthy number, but for my body type and where the weight is coming from (mainly fat), it's not.

I think it only came off as offensive because I'm posting in a Dietary forum and didn't think I'd be attacked for asking for dietary advice. :>

I think what girls with EDs hear a lot from people who haven't gone through the disease, is that they are doing it for vanity. And you can see why someone who's struggling with the basic need to feed themselves would find some offense in that. It may seem like the main drive in something like Anorexia is to be stick thin, but it's much deeper and much more personal than that. I guess when you talk to a girl who's suffered from psychological or physical abuses, and who feels like maybe she doesn't deserve to eat, or that starving herself will make her less of a target for abuse, or will give her control over her life, you can see why blaming her disorder on something petty is...maybe not insulting, but hurtful at least.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts