VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some friends, most of them are Hindi, and some eat egg, some others say it's not supposed to be eaten... So I wonder how you guys think about eggs? Any of you eat it?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Yeah, it depends on your reasons for veg*nism. If you're vegan, you won't be eating them or things they're in. If you're vegetarian, it depends on your preferences and reasons for choosing to be vegetarian.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
AnneMaria is right: eggs you buy in a store generally are not fertilized because the hens usually live with no roosters around. I avoid eggs because of how the chickens are normally treated. I can PM you with more info, or we can discuss it more in-depth in the vegan or animal-welfare subforums.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
One reason I don't eat eggs:

But for me the real reason is:
Calorie for calorie, chicken and eggs cause the most suffering and death of all "food" choices. Going vegan will save/spare the most animals, but even a diet with beef but not chicken or eggs results in fewer animal deaths than the average ovo vegetarian diet.
http://www.animalvisuals.org/projects/data/1mc
http://fowlplaymovie.com/

·
Registered
93 Posts
I definitely agree with Tom and Elaine that a lot of chickens are treated horribly, which is why I only buy organic eggs. Organic eggs are laid by chickens who have plenty of space, can be outside and inside, only get organic feed and don't get their beaks cut. They might be more expensive, but I can't stand the thought of the conditions under which chickens in cages live. Plus, organic eggs taste MUCH better - the yolk is usually bigger and more yellow.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post

I definitely agree with Tom and Elaine that a lot of chickens are treated horribly, which is why I only buy organic eggs. Organic eggs are laid by chickens who have plenty of space, can be outside and inside, only get organic feed and don't get their beaks cut. They might be more expensive, but I can't stand the thought of the conditions under which chickens in cages live. Plus, organic eggs taste MUCH better - the yolk is usually bigger and more yellow.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...gg_labels.html

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I eat eggs, but only if I can visit, inspect, and purchase directly from the farm myself.

Grocery store eggs of any type? Forget it. Cage free means only that they are crammed like sardines into a building with no windows instead of cages. Free range only requires that they have access to an open area, but does not regulate how often. It could be 15 minutes per week, the rest of which is spent crammed into the same cages/buildings with the rest of the battery hens. Organic means only that they are fed organic corn and soy and follow more strict regulations on the overuse of antibiotics, but still says nothing of the way they are treated. Vegetarian fed means genetically modified corn and soy, which is what most of them eat anyway (chickens, left to their own preferences, prefer to peck around in search of insects, grubs, etc.). Omega 3 eggs means they throw a small amount of flax in with the feed. All these labels are nearly meaningless.

Regardless of what labels say, assume they are from abused battery hens until you have seen otherwise with your own eyes.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I eat them, but I won't bake with them, due to another family member's allergies.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It depends on your reasons for changing diet. Personally, I don't see how anyone interested in animal welfare can eat eggs where they don't directly know where they've come from - so I don't.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post

"Beak cutting and forced molting through starvation are permitted. "

Hmm... Well, that might be the case in the US, but in Denmark it isn't allowed.
Just becaise its against the law doesnt stop people doing it...it still goes on.
When the law comes into the UK that battery egg farming is banned, it just means cheap eggs will be shipped in from Countrys that allow it.
Unless you have your own hen and know its not being treat badly. there is no way of knowing what went on in its life.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks to you all for all the information... I became veg just for eating healthy food, also good to animal, and I was eating egg at the same time... And then I heard from one veg friend just he doesn't eat egg coz of the way people treat hens to get eggs, so I stopped eating egg as well... And I do miss egg sometimes, plus many food, including cake require egg, so I was feeling bit iching... And now I think maybe I would buy organic egg if sometimes I wanna eat it so much...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Just becaise its against the law doesnt stop people doing it...it still goes on.
When the law comes into the UK that battery egg farming is banned, it just means cheap eggs will be shipped in from Countrys that allow it.
Unless you have your own hen and know its not being treat badly. there is no way of knowing what went on in its life.
This.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts