VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I made a stir fry last night with Westsoy brand seitan which I picked up at Whole Foods. I actually thought it was pretty good. Hubby said it was ok, kind of tasted like cardboard but he says that about everything
. I don't have the time or inclination to make my own seitan but was wondering what others thought about this product.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I like it. Before I started making my own, I used to get Westsoy if I couldn't make it to Whole Foods to grab some Upton's (the best store bought seitan out there, IMO).

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I've never bought seitan. I've been making it almost every two weeks since x-mas as son decided he loves it! It's really easy.
I tried the simmering method and didn't like that. I found baking it in foil gets it just right.

1 cup beans and garlic in food processor
1 3/4 cup broth (I like the onion soup/dip mix reconsituted, or not beef or chicken boullion)
3T oil
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
paprika, thyme, sage, fennel-whatever taste you're after.

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Knead all together until it just comes together. Lay in a roll on a greased foil sheet and seal well. Turn every 20 min. for even cooking. Bake for 1 hour

any other tips?

I found if I let it cool on a rack still sealed it has a better texture

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
I've seen one of the WestSoy ones from Peapod, but haven't gotten around to buying it. I've had Upton's and seitan made in restaurants though and I love it. Never made my own, yet.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I have only had homemade seitan so I've been hesitant to try the prepackaged varieties. I don't want to waste the money and be disappointed if it's no where near as great as the homemade seitan.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

I've never bought seitan. I've been making it almost every two weeks since x-mas as son decided he loves it! It's really easy.
I tried the simmering method and didn't like that. I found baking it in foil gets it just right.

1 cup beans and garlic in food processor
1 3/4 cup broth (I like the onion soup/dip mix reconsituted, or not beef or chicken boullion)
3T oil
2 cups vital wheat gluten
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
paprika, thyme, sage, fennel-whatever taste you're after.

Preheat oven to 350 F.
Knead all together until it just comes together. Lay in a roll on a greased foil sheet and seal well. Turn every 20 min. for even cooking. Bake for 1 hour

any other tips?

I found if I let it cool on a rack still sealed it has a better texture
I like baking and and simmering it. It depends on what I'm using it for. The baking method makes for great sandwiches. I like the simmering method if I'm making stir fries or buffalo nuggets.

I bought seitan once and decided my homemade tastes better

1 - 10 of 10 Posts