VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you needed any more reason to suspect the AKC cares more about dollars than dogs...

Quote:
Prancing purebreds and pound puppies do not mix, or at least they will not during the televised broadcasts of the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show this year, after the club cut ties with Pedigree, a longtime sponsor, in part because of Pedigrees commercials featuring sad-eyed mutts up for adoption.
Full story

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
"They've shared with us, when we parted ways, that they felt that our advertising was focused too much on the cause of adoption and that wasn't really a shared vision," she said. The kennel club, she said, is "focused on the purebred mission," including the adoption of pure breeds as opposed to mixed breeds.
Ok, lets change a couple words in here...

Quote:
"They've shared with us, when we parted ways, that they felt that our advertising was focused too much on the cause of happy families and that wasn't really a shared vision," she said. The superior race club, she said, is "focused on the purebred mission," including the happy families of pure races as opposed to mixed races.
Yeah, that sounds pretty bad.

Anyway, I remember coming across a website several years back (that I haven't been able to find again) that showed how certain dogs looked naturally before the AKC and other things like them and breed groups kept tampering with what purebred breeds should look like. Continuous inbreeding of dogs, having bulldogs and pugs get more scrunched up faces causing breathing problems, changing the way German Shepard's backs were shaped and causing hip dysplasia, dachshunds, and there were some others but I can't remember. That was when I first learned about how the AKC is profit driven as opposed to the health of breeds which you would think.

Pedigree tests on animals and I think they're one of the low-grade foods that just lists "meat" which can include dead dogs and cats as well as horses, cows, pigs, chickens, fish, etc. So really, both of them are absolutely terrible IMO, but at least Pedigree is trying to get dogs of all kinds into homes.

I don't know, I get why some people don't think commercials saying that "hey, millions of animals are being euthanized in shelters each year, how about you you let one or two into your family?" are "too depressing", but they're doing a pretty good job if they brought in $500,000 like Pedigree said it did.

Edit: Still haven't found the website I originally saw, but some other interesting things.

AKC and puppy mills: http://network.bestfriends.org/2967/news.aspx
"Pedigree Dogs Exposed" documentary about genetic disease in purebreds: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

If you needed any more reason to suspect the AKC cares more about dollars than dogs...
Full story
I dislike much about the AKC, but... this is about the WKC, not the AKC. Westminster Kennel Club =/= American Kennel Club

·
Arrrg! Me mateys.
5,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I dislike much about the AKC, but... this is about the WKC, not the AKC. Westminster Kennel Club =/= American Kennel Club
Wow, I didn't even catch that.
The AKC does, according to Wikipedia "promotes and sanctions events for purebred dogs, including the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show, an annual event which predates the official forming of the AKC".

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
People and their purebred fetish...I don't get it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
My dogs a pure breed but we didnt get her for that reason. Shes a coon hound i dont go out coon huntin every evening or anyhing like that. I wouldve settled for anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.