VeggieBoards banner

Well, who would have thought....?

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Korie 
#1 ·
That *I would stop eating meat. In fact, it wasn't even a few months ago when I told my vegatarian (ovo-lcto) friend that I would not could not, couldn't even if I *Tried, stop eating meat.

I am not totally sure what it was that did me in. I was never a HUGE meat eater to begin with. Even on Thanksgiving I would eat just a few nibbles of turkey. Last month I saw the movie Hostel, and there was a scene of a guy just chopping humans up like cuts of meat and I was sick to my stomach. THEN I started thinking why does THIS gross me out, but eating animals doesn't? And that is kind of scary because it SHOULD gross me out.

I didn't eat any red meat after that and last week I was eating some chicken and I thought, I don't even want to eat this, I just do it because I have always thought I HAD to.

I have been 3 days now meat free. I consider myself transitioning I guess and I am not sure how far I will go. I don't want to put myself into a category and I don't want to define myself. The more I learn the more I change so I may end up full Vegan and I may not. I don't know at this point. I just know that so far I don't miss meat, I don't miss the smell of it or anything.

So, thats all I wanted to say. I am new at this change and learn everyday, and everyday I am glad I made my decision.

Watched the "Meet your Meat" video and while I don't agree with most of PETAs tactics or propaganda I do see them as a great resource.

See less See more
#6 ·
Hi!
I'm a fairly new vegetarian too. Actually today makes it 2 mos. exactly!

It just hit me one day too....no more meat. I wasn't a big meat eater either. I don't really know what triggered me. I guess I knew somewhere down the line I would convert to a vegetarian lifestyle, just because I love animals and I can't tolerate abuse of any kind and knowing what I know about the meat industry. (I learned even more now through books I've read and this site.) I just wish it wouldn't have taken me so long to make the switch. Everyone around me eats meat....my husband included.

I can't watch Meet Your Meat. I tried once, then clicked it off. I know it's going to upset me. Besides I've woken up abrubtly from several nightmares over the years of being inside of a slaughter house. I can't watch the real thing. I think those were my "signs" to stop eating meat then. I wish I would've listened.

You've found a very informative site here!

#8 ·
Hey congrats on doing what you want to do. You don't have to define yourself until you want to, whenever that is. I'm new to vegetarianism. I started volunteering at the humane society and i had been there awhile when i stumbled across the freezer (that holds the dead) I was horrified. There was blood and the animals just looked so wrong. I completely freaked out and then started thinking if this upsets me so much how can i even think of eating meat? Also i think that caging an animal and just slaughtering them is wrong, again from the humane society. I don't disagree with natural killing, lion vs. gazelle. But humans are more evolved and should act as such.

well that was a lot but thats how i switched.

Oh and don't let anyone pressure you into changing into something your not ready for, if your not doing this fully and completely you shouldn't do it, you won't make it. But if you are really into it have a blast doing it!!!!!!!!!

#12 ·
Good for you. I have been doing this for a month and a half now. I also had a friend that is vegetarian (she has since moved away). I told her I couldn't make the switch. Of course, at the time I thought I would have to pretty much live off of beans and tofu. I am so glad that I did more research. You will feel so much better as the days go on. Keep it up.

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by slp2b View Post

Good for you. I have been doing this for a month and a half now. I also had a friend that is vegetarian (she has since moved away). I told her I couldn't make the switch. Of course, at the time I thought I would have to pretty much live off of beans and tofu. I am so glad that I did more research. You will feel so much better as the days go on. Keep it up.
Thank you, and thank you everyone too, btw.

I do say I am transitioning because I have not made the leap from dependancy from dairy products and eggs. I bought vanilla soy milk yesterday and loved it. The only issue I have with it is that it is very thick and heavy. I am used to drinking 1% milk, more watery. What disgusts me most abotu meat now is the fact that it is animals are thought of as a product, much like a box of cereal or a can of corn. The industry treats them like objects and that just made me very, very sad.

As I am learning I am sure my thoughts and moral standards will change but I object slightly less to those who live on farms ( like, a family) and have a few cows, some pigs, some chickens, and grow their own food. Even if they do end up killing the cows and pigs and chickens for food eventually, for some reason it doesn't bother me, AS MUCH as the whole mass slaughterings of the very much mistreated "products". I am confused to how I feel about hunting still, I never liked it much, even as a meat eater but I still think it is slightly less vile than what the meat industry does.

I work with a kid ( I call him a kid even though he is 20 because he is still 9 years younger than me. lol) who lives on a farm. Right now they have 3 cows. He says they always have 3-4 cows and they keep them for a few years and they ship one off each year for killing and then they eat it. As disgusting and terrible as it sounds I think, well, it's still better than where that poor cow could have ended up. I don't know, I still couldn't eat it, probably never will again, and I am very happy knowing that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.