VeggieBoards banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm going to start going vegan but I just realized something. To get lots of protein don't vegans eat lots of beans, soy, and Tofu? And don't those make you gassy and fart a lot? I know it's kind of a weird question but i'm just wondering so I know what to expect when going vegan also does your body get use to it and make you not so gassy or what?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Personally, I farted a lot more when I ate meat, and I eat soy and beans on a regular basis.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This might sound funny... but I belched uncontrollably before I went vegan. Long, loud, and out of nowhere.
Now my burps are much more lady-like. :D

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I used to get pretty bad gas when I ate meat and eggs.
Now beans, lentils, tofu. and tempeh are staples and I'm not bothered. The gas I do get is minimal and not smelly. I think the worse it gets is when I eat a lot of cruciferous veggies and then it just smells like broccoli, but clears right up
Gawd how meat gas lingers! :spew:...and that's why 'beef' is slang for farts!

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
I've always liked beans and vegetables and eaten lots of them, so I didn't experience a change going to vegetarian or vegan. I went vegan five weeks ago, and I was expecting a lot of gas but there hasn't been any. The first time I attempted veganism I did get bad gas--very smelly gas too. I have no idea what I did so wrong that time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Three products have the power to make me fart: broccoli, mashed potatoes, and carbonated beverages.

Are a couple farts gonna scare you away?!

·
Registered
43 Posts
The first couple of times I went vegetarian I experienced a lot of gas. But this time I did it more gradually and didn't have any problems. The increase in fibre can do it but your body should adjust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I first made the transition yes I did notice more gas. Your body gets used to the extra fiber rather quickly though. A year and a half later the only foods that give me problems are soymilk, sometimes tofu, and kidney beans. So I try to limit my intake of those foods.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had some issues a long time ago but since I started eating more veggies and beans again I have been feeling great. You may want to work your way up with quantities. If you cook dry beans make sure to soak over night and rinse well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First of all, not all vegans are fond of protein, it's not really necessary to consume a lot of vegetable protein on a vegan diet. For each their own of course, but still. If anything, meat eaters should be the champions at farting, since they ingest a higher amount of protein daily.

I've only started the trasition from vegetarianism to veganism, but I still binge on cheese sometimes (ugh). But as a mad tofu&soy milk lover, I notice no effect on my digestion whatsoever

·
Oryzatarian
1,359 Posts
Gas isnt caused by the protein, but rather by the 'indigestible' carbs in many plant foods and different people respond to different flatulogenic (fart producing) carbohydrates differently, it seems. Probably something to do with their intestinal microbiota which is why the effect seems to slowly change after a change in diet... anyway this is why beans often cause gas but nuts rarely do and why jerusalem artichokes make people fart like theyre getting paid for it.
As king indicated, you dont need as much protein as most people consume. No need to go too wild with beans. There are also processing methods which can reduce the flatulogenic potential of bean foods, like fermented soy or indian fermented lentil cakes. The bacteria can consume the flatulogenic oligosaccharides the same inside your body or out [as you can see from the terminology, it would be possible to get a college degree in this subject. A prospect to frighten parents with when choosing a major]
Some vegetables are also offenders for many people. Things like cabbage and turnips are notorious. Just find what works for your body and build a cuisine to match.
Or be brave and proudly exercise your right to fart. Humans are natural fart machines, most of the food thats good for us can cause gas to some degree. Fart shaming probably has its roots in people wanting to seem wealthy and opulent, historically in western culture the people who didnt fart were the rich elite living almost exclusively on meat and refined grains while the peasants lived on cabbage, turnips and rutabagas.
Be proud, fart with dignity and determination.

·
Happy Veggie
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gas isnt caused by the protein, but rather by the 'indigestible' carbs in many plant foods and different people respond to different flatulogenic (fart producing) carbohydrates differently, it seems. Probably something to do with their intestinal microbiota which is why the effect seems to slowly change after a change in diet... anyway this is why beans often cause gas but nuts rarely do and why jerusalem artichokes make people fart like theyre getting paid for it.
As king indicated, you dont need as much protein as most people consume. No need to go too wild with beans. There are also processing methods which can reduce the flatulogenic potential of bean foods, like fermented soy or indian fermented lentil cakes. The bacteria can consume the flatulogenic oligosaccharides the same inside your body or out [as you can see from the terminology, it would be possible to get a college degree in this subject. A prospect to frighten parents with when choosing a major]
Some vegetables are also offenders for many people. Things like cabbage and turnips are notorious. Just find what works for your body and build a cuisine to match.
Or be brave and proudly exercise your right to fart. Humans are natural fart machines, most of the food thats good for us can cause gas to some degree. Fart shaming probably has its roots in people wanting to seem wealthy and opulent, historically in western culture the people who didnt fart were the rich elite living almost exclusively on meat and refined grains while the peasants lived on cabbage, turnips and rutabagas.
Be proud, fart with dignity and determination.
Lol this is a great response I love it and don't know why :)

Three products have the power to make me fart: broccoli, mashed potatoes, and carbonated beverages.

Are a couple farts gonna scare you away?!
Haha no it won't scare me away I just don't want to fart at gymnastics when my coach is helping me do my back flip XD

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
First of all, not all vegans are fond of protein, it's not really necessary to consume a lot of vegetable protein on a vegan diet. For each their own of course, but still. If anything, meat eaters should be the champions at farting, since they ingest a higher amount of protein daily.

I've only started the trasition from vegetarianism to veganism, but I still binge on cheese sometimes (ugh). But as a mad tofu&soy milk lover, I notice no effect on my digestion whatsoever
It would be helpful to add what you consider a "lot" of protein! That varies a lot.
I get between 45 and 55 grams a day eating vegan

·
Registered
963 Posts
Some people are more gassy when they first go vegan, because of the extra fiber that a lot of omnis don't consume, but it should subside once your body adjusts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts