VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came up in the "freakishly close to going omni" -thread and I thought I'd start a new thread. We've all heard funny things said about our own country (or maybe even another country), things that make us shake our heads and snicker. I'm not talking about generalization but about funny beliefs that some people have had concerning a certain country/people.

This is what I wrote in the other thread:
Quote:
My friend spent an exchange student year in Canada and one of her teachers actually asked her: "Do the ladies in Finland shave their legs?"
Oh and a relative of mine from Switzerland believed that potato doesn't grow in Finland because it's too far north. She'd gotten this information from her high school teacher.
Also years ago when I attended an international (read US) school in Malaysia, many people from the US thought that Finland was one of the states. Hee hee
I'd really like to hear your stories

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
my ukranian friend, who's fiance is still in ukraine but moving here in about a yr, asked how american women shave certain areas, thinking we all shaved that area the same, so his fiance would be up to date

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
i have ran into people here in florida that has thought when i said i was from indiana that indiana is in canada.. LOL

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I perhaps am showing my ignorance here, but I really don't know which countries shave their legs and which do not. I was under the impression that some european countries consider it "kinky".

The most common surprise to people I have known who came to the US is that we do not all live in big houses and live like kings and queens. They are also surprised by the poor areas.

I have also known people who were very afraid of crime in the US. They thought that everyone had a gun and you had to defend yourself from criminals everyday. Not quite.

ETA being from Ohio, people in college would often ask in Ohio if my family had a farm. Does a small garden in back of our cookie cutter bungalow in the suburbs count?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Thalia

I perhaps am showing my ignorance here, but I really don't know which countries shave their legs and which do not. I was under the impression that some european countries consider it "kinky".
I think it's an individual thing more than a national thing. Shaving in general, not just the legs

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
One time I was ordering something from a skateboard company in California that will remain nameless. It was the middle of August and when I said where I was from(north dakota) he asks" do you have an indoor park? There must be snow on the ground like all the time right?" I could tell by the tone in his voice he was serious.I just told him that it was 102 degrees outside and erm there wasnt alllllways snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
These are some funny questions I was asked

''Do you have electricity in China?"

"Do you speak English in Hawaii?"

"University of Hawaii? I don't know they have schools there!"

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pyrsk

I think it's an individual thing more than a national thing. Shaving in general, not just the legs
Well in the US it pretty much is a national thing, shaving of the legs. If you don't as a woman, people label you a hippy or a lesbian feminazi. I didn't know, that's why I asked

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahah

Well.. different methods of shaving certain parts of the body are the top subject on most female infested discussion boards in Finland

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was in high school, a fellow student asked me how I learned to speak German. (I was born in Germany and lived there the first five years of my life.) I told her that I learned it the same way she learned English. She exclaimed, "But I was born knowing English!"

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When I traveled in Germany and Austria during college, using a Eurail pass, I learned to tell people that I lived "close to Chicago", rather than saying "Illinois", since they know of Chicago. Many, many times, I got a nod in response with "Oh yes, where all the gangsters are."

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
When people hear I live around this small city where happens to be located the Pro Football Hall of Fame, they always ask how many times I've been there. They're shocked to hear, "Never. I detest football."

Them: "But you're from X City, you must like football!"

Me: "Uh, no I don't. Lots of people like it, but I have my own opinions, too."

Them: "Are you sure you've never been to the Hall of Fame? How can you live close by for 15 years and never go?"

Me: (sigh) "Just like you can live next door to that vegetarian restaurant for your whole life and never go there." (depending on who Them is)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
"do you have summer in Canada?"

"wow is there electricity that far north of Toronto?" (4 hours
)

"i didn't think there were any cities north of Barrie" (Barrie is just north of Toronto)

i lived in a city near Toronto the past 3 years, a very big very self-sufficient city but for all intents and purposes, it's considered part of the "greater toronto area". people back home always ask me "how's toronto life?" or "what's it like in toronto" (i don't know i don't live there :p)

also, it's a fun game for us to go down to the states and convince people that we live in igloos and drive a dogsled or skidoo to work, because they usually believe it. one of my friends once had someone convinced to the point that she asked how one decorates an igloo. he told her his was wallpapered, she said "ohhh, of course!"

the only thing that actually makes me mad is when people, usually from Europe, lump canada in with the states and call me 'american'. if you say 'oh i'm not american i'm canadian' they tend to say 'oh right whatever, it's the same continent'

but if you accidentally say a scottish person is part of the UK or mix up northern and southern Ireland, they get really offended

but it's the same continent so what's the dif

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
LF: or how about when you mention you are from Toronto and you get, "oh, do you know <name>, s/he's from Toronto too."

Hehehe, like that commercial on TV... "oh yes.... Office Bob... everyone knows Office Bob. He's dead now."

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i love that commercial!!

there's also this: you tell someone you're from Canada and they feel the need to tell you they like a celebrity who happens to be canadian.

"oh you're canadian? hmm. Bryan Adams is canadian, i like him"

uhh really, good for you

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
At a store here in Pennsylvania, someone once asked me what state Delaware was in ( We were about 5 minutes from the Pa./Del. border )

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was once stopped in the street and asked where a certain street is. The person asking me was standing under the street sign that had the name of the street she was asking about written on it

1 - 20 of 70 Posts