VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is about introducing/bragging about hard-to-find, regional, or just weird stuff you love to eat.

You all know what tofu is, but have you heard about "okara"?

I bet nobody except dvmarie knows this stuff.

Okara is the by product of tofu making. As you know, soybean has ton fiber and crude stuff whereas tofu is fine and tender. That's b/c the original soymilk is filtered before coagulant is added. The filtered-out crude stuff is okara, or soybean pulp. It is used as food for pigs in China but Japanese love to eat it. It is super healthy b/c it has lots fiber and protein but no fat. I used okara to make veggie burders and my hubby loves them fondly

I think I can grocery stores in hawaii sell okara b/c the we are heavily influenced by Japan.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I've heard of it (in the book of tofu), but have never seen it.

I'll have to check the asian market for it.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I don't like this, but people in Paraguay drink it 24/7:

YerbaMate, aka terra-rae, aka mate (pronounced MAT-tay).

it's like tea leaves, they put a whole bunch in a cup with water, and suck it thru a spoon-straw that has little holes in the end so you get only water and no leaves.

Then when they finish their cup, they refill it and pass it on to the person beside them. They drink this stuff ALL the time and even 2 year olds drink it!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Personally, I love cattail shoots in the spring, fresh from the marsh.

Also, you can eat rock tripe, which is a lichen that grows on rocks in the boreal forest. It's very bland, and is eaten as a survival food. If you boil it, it will gelatinize the water!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
I love choyote squash. They're also called mirlitons and they are soooo yummy! They look like green apples that are almost pear-shaped and they have the firmness of an apple, too yet anything you can do to a squash, you can do to a choyote. And just about anything you can do with an apple, you can also do with a choyote. So wonderful, but really hard to find where I live.

If you get one, the only thing to remember is that you have to de-core them just like an apple.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I do not love this, but luckily my osteopath does so it wasn't wasted.

Plamil Vegan chocolate with Cayenne.

Chilli flavoured chocolate...
aversion therapy for stout lady on a diet.

·
Registered
478 Posts
SoyBoy makes okara patties that are quite good. Some other brand (Natural Touch?) makes 'em too but theirs isn't vegan.

I love all sorts of exotic fruits, like carambolas, pummelos, persimmons, and so on. I love trying new & different produce whenever I can find it.

I'm also quite fond of inari sushi, probably not too exotic these days with the popularity of sushi.

Oh! I do absoultely love daifuku mochi! I must pick up a package of it every time I go to an asian market. "Regular" mochi is very good as well

Also from time to time I get these rose water flavored chickpea cookies from a local middle eastern market.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i greatly enjoy the okara patties natural touch makes. do not eat them very often though--fattier than i prefer. not even sure if they are vegan--have not checked.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ObsidianZebra, isn't daifuku mochi just pure heaven, oh my oh my they kill me
. Inari sushi is one of my fav too, we have it in 7-eleven, how nice!

DeeYahMK, I only had choyote squash in Florida when I visited my brother. You are right, they are yum! But I can't find them in Hawaii, lol

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've seen that chili chocolate but I didn't buy any 'cause it was very expensive and I'm pretty sure I like my chili and chocolate separate.
I'm also familiar with okara but I don't really use it.

I can't think of anything I can get in Finland that you people couldn't get in the States. *sob* Not that all of you are in the States

·
Registered
0 Posts
ube (purple yam), my grandma always made ube macapunu cake and it was my favorite, then she just started buying it from Goldilocks when she got too lazy to bake, im trying to make a vegan version but it never tastes the same. mmmm and the frosting was so greasy you could literally feel it sticking to your throat and insides, oh remember the days.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
The omnis around me think that a lot of the things I eat are strange, but to y'all perhaps not. I like hummus on toast, couscous in salad, rice and beans in lots of things, couscous and spaghetti sauce, bananas squished down on toast with a knife... those are the more mellow ones. Somehow I know I'm forgetting a lot that people often rib me about.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I know this sounds gross, but it's a great comfort food. Heat pasta in a frying pan, with a little olive oil. Salt the heck out of it, and stir in some tomato paste to lightly coat. I love it, and through feeding it to my nephew and his little friends, we now have a fourth generation eating it. (My mother, my sister and me, my nephew and his friends (now grown), who are now feeding it to their kids.)

·
Registered
346 Posts
Well, I guess it is not that wierd, but I like halvah. I have a really good Jewish friend, and I used to not like it, but now I love the stuff . Very yummy.

people usually think scrambled tofu sounds gross too. But its yummy! Oh, and I lurve lychee fruits, when I go for chinese. They are these plump white fleshed fruits, I think the outside is prickly. Really sweet, and fragrant. Yum. You can buy them canned too;

·
Registered
0 Posts
OK, how about okra? It's a little spear-shaped vegetable (kind of slimy on the inside). I don't particularly think it's exotic or different, but none of my friends had heard of it. I guess it's commonly deep-fried, but my favorite thing to do with it was using it in soup, or pickling it with dill/garlic/hot peppers.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
I didn't like Okara at first - but I make soymilk/tofu - so I learned to use and like it.

I love Ube!!!!!!!!

I have a thing for Daikon Radish any way I can get it (shredded, in soup, pickled, marinated, etc.) I can just take a big honkin' bite out of a big daikon - but I don't because the produce guys would probably call the cops.

I also luvvvvvvvv Lychee. I just got goose-bumps right now thinking about it (and my mouth is watering). Fresh is best, but I like canned - and sherbert - and hard candy - and soda (which they sell here!!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by superjane

I don't like this, but people in Paraguay drink it 24/7:

YerbaMate, aka terra-rae, aka mate (pronounced MAT-tay).

it's like tea leaves, they put a whole bunch in a cup with water, and suck it thru a spoon-straw that has little holes in the end so you get only water and no leaves.

Then when they finish their cup, they refill it and pass it on to the person beside them. They drink this stuff ALL the time and even 2 year olds drink it!
You can also buy this in tea bag form and drink it minus the special cup and straw. It's amazing stuff. It's basically their (Paraquay's, Argentina's, and Uruguay's) answer to coffee (as far as caffeine goes), though it's loaded with nutrients. It has something like 15 amino acids and 20+ vitamins and minerals. And there's several flavors of Yerba Mate--mint, orange, etc. We buy ours organic and shade grown.

It's always been perfect when I've had an upset stomach, too.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts