VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/health/feeds/hscout/2006/09/12/hscout534872.html" target="_blank">http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/hea...out534872.html</a><br><br><br><br>
This is from a study that came out this week; I originally heard about it on the radio. Weight training can at least sometimes cause a temporary rise in intra-ocular pressure, but it is undecided whether or not this leads to an increased risk for developing a type of glaucoma.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Interesting. Fortunately it says people don't really need to be concerned. It also says that holding your breath increases pressure even more. Perhaps they should have mentioned swimmers, too?

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did say that holding one's breath during exertion was a major factor here. They didn't mention swimmers in my link above, but at least one of the news links I visited mentioned people who play wind instruments. I have a habit of holding my breath when I get tense; I have an appointment for an annual eye checkup in a few weeks anyway, so I'll ask my doctor about that normal-pressure-glaucoma condition.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
It's called press breathing and you see it usually with weight lifters! I didn't hear about an increased risk but I see the possiblity! Please tell us about your doctor's idea on the topic!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I had a visual field test last week. (You stare at a fixed point, and flashes of light appear at random positions, with varying brightness. This sort of tests to see if there are areas of the retina which are losing sensitivity to light).<br><br><br><br>
It turned out basically normal. My eye doctor said that he didn't think my weight workouts were causing any visual problems. I'm getting sick of workouts though- I'm not progressing. When I increase the weight on the machine, often I'll start getting pains in a joint, which is a sign I need to back off.<br><br><br><br>
I took a week off. I'll get back into it this week to see if that was what I needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts