VeggieBoards banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally lift weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, which are my run days; sometimes its Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday if I decide to run on Saturday instead of Friday. I just read that you shouldn't weight train on days where you run, but I was wondering why. Here is my current workout schedule: (its tentative, it always gets mixed up here and there, but I generally do the same exercises the same amount of times)

Monday- three mile run, upper body lifting

Tuesday- 45 minute spin (hard, vigorous biking) class

Wednesday- three mile run, upper body lifting

Thursday- 45 minute spin class

Friday- three mile run, upper body lifting

Saturday- 45 minutes to 1 hour on the cross training machine

Sunday- Rest day, maybe a walk, some gardening, or yoga

When I contacted someone from the site (whcih was another forum) someone said the would contact a trainer, and here is the schedule they gave me:

Monday: 3 mile run

Tuesday: spinning and/or weight training

Wednesday: 3 mile run

Thursday: weight training and/or yoga, outdoor biking

Friday: crosstraining machine

Saturday: 6 mile run/walk

Sunday: rest your muscles!!

Is the second one really better? Whats wrong with weight training on a run day, if you can weight train after a spin class? And, the final issue...I can't run 6 miles. If I could, I would.....be doing it. But I guess what they mean is to run, and stop, and run more??

lovenlight,

linz

·
Registered
261 Posts
Aerobic exercise is great before weight lifting. The reason running is not great is because your body can start to break down the muscle your working so hard to devolpe because of the extremly vigrous nature of running. So it depends on how hard you run. I do aerobic exercise before I lift weights everyday.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You can run and weight train on the same day, provided you take a mininum of one rest day per week (I find I make bigger gains in both strength and endurance when I make every fourth day a "muscle recovery" day--as in three on, one off). The other thing is that if you work the same group of muscles every day, not only will you actually make yourself weaker (the muscles have no chance to rest and heal themselves) you leave yourself vulnerable to overuse injuries. Also, after a certain point (an hour and a half or so) of heavy exercise, your muscles can actually start to catabolize (eat themselves), making you weaker. More is not necessarily better when it comes to weight training.

When you're trying to build up your endurance in running, sometimes you need a few days off occasionally. It gives your legs a rest, and you may come back able to increase your mileage more comfortably than if you bang out the same three miles every day.

You might want to shake up your running routine a bit. Do a long, slow day (slower than you normally run, but go a greater distance); you a day of speedwork or windsprints, where you go all out for a set period of time, followed by more comfortable running and you alternate the two; hill repeats (or play with the grade setting if you run on a treadmill) for strength--not only does this help keep it interesting, it will help you as a runner.

Also, don't fall into the trap of thinking that your long run must be at the same pace as your shorter runs. You can work on speed, or on endurance, but never both at once. Build endurance; worry about speed later on.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you eat enough protein you shouldn't have to worry about your muscle breaking down from aerobic activity. Your body will use your consumed protein rather than stored(muscle) protein while exercising.

My friend who studies this stuff in school and is a physical trainer tells me that while it really doesn't matter if you do cardio before or after lifting weights he suggests that you may benefit from doing cardio after lifting. I can't remember his reason and I don't want to state misinformation so I'll get back to you about why. I think the cardio pushes the built up lactic acid out of the muscles you just worked out. Also if you do cardio before lifting weights you'll have less energy to put towards your strength training.

rigmarole

rigmarole

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

My friend who studies this stuff in school and is a physical trainer tells me that while it really doesn't matter if you do cardio before or after lifting weights he suggests that you may benefit from doing cardio after lifting.
Indeed, it seems to me that symptoms seemingly originating with the coupling of aerobic and anaerobic activity are due to other, more important issues. That being said, here's what I believe to be absolutely true:
  • A light aerobic workout (i.e. 5-15 minutes of light jogging) is beneficiary to all workouts, not the least of which being weight training.
  • Leg workouts and non-warm-up aerobic excercise is just a logically bad combo. If you do either one right, the other will suffer. (unless your aerobics aren't "leggy" workouts and that'd just be weird)
  • You can do a better job of both if you do them on seperate days. Those of us who have jobs or lives (unlike myself) may have trouble with that.
    [/list=a]

I don't do intense workouts, so I do 15 light minutes on the ellyptical (5 if I'm doing legs) then my workout, then 30 minutes (15 if I did legs).

That's my $.02 on the matter...

·
Registered
0 Posts
for me i always warm up about 15 min, then if i'm working out my upper body it doesn't matter if i do cardio first, but if im working out my lower body i have a much more effective work out and can lift heavier if i do my cardio last

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Hmm.. I generally try to do my lower body weights on days that I'm not running. But that's mostly due to the fact that my legs are all jelly-like after a good run.
My ex-personal trainer said it was good to do an aerobic workout before doing weights so that you don't overdo the weights, so I've always tried to do something before working with weights. On upper body days it's running, on lower body days it might be a shorter run (or jog), dance, or some sport like tennis or basketball or soccer... (okay, those involve running, too... dang it, I'm in a rut). I guess my main point is that I don't do lower body weights after a run I've done for distance or speed.

Can I be less helpful?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Ok. When you exercise your muscles excrete stored glycogen which becomes glucose in your blood and burns off as you exercise. After you exercise you typically have some of this left in your blood which unless burned off absorbes back into the muscles and/or can easily become fat. By doing at least 5 - 10 minutes of cardio at an aerobic heart rate you burn off the excess glucose. This way the very next meal you eat can be used to fully restore your glycogen levels in the muscles

If you do cardio first you're likely to burn off the excess glycogen as well, but there will be less available energy to put towards strength training. So basically it's all about what you want to acheive.

Max Power, about doing a better job of both if done on separate days, it depends on how hard you work out both aerobically and lifting.

If you're only doing the minimum requirements of cardio and strength training I suspect you'd be better off doing them on the same day so that you have the following day or two to recover fully for another workout. But nothing is set in stone, well most things anyway, and no single method is best for everyone. Anyone who exercises should probably mix up their routine and test different strategies to find what works best for them. But even if people can't or just don't do that, exercising in general is going to benefit anyone greatly.

rigmarole

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rigmarole

Max Power, about doing a better job of both if done on separate days, it depends on how hard you work out both aerobically and lifting.
Indeed. That's why I said that one CAN do a better job of each on seperate days but not that it's necessary or inevadable that one WILL do better. Wait, that IS what I said, right?

Thanks for the info on glycowhatsit... Good stuff...

·
Registered
0 Posts
ok, I misunderstood your usage of the word "can". I thought you were using "can" to mean "will", but I see what you mean. It's all good.

rigmarole

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think the second actually sounds a little less hideous. Notice they didn't say spin workout and you must life weights...it says and/or.

I think if you are looking to be more 'sane' about your workouts, I'd go with schedule two. The first one seems exhausting to me. But then you know how I feel about workouts...and that you should in general be a lot kinder to yourself than you are...so I'll just shut up now

B

1 - 12 of 12 Posts