VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that when I changed my eating to vegetarian that I would loose a little weight since ive taken out alot of unhealthy foods from my diet along with the meat. Namely sweets and fats like potato chips etc.

but in the last week I have lost nearly 8 lbs. wich seems a bit too quick. I am eating 3-4 meals a day, and I am eating untill im full, but I assume if im loosing quickly then im not taking in enough calories.

an example of how I have been eating.

yesturday ate

Breakfast- 1 cup of oatmeal , and a coffee [i diddnt eat breakfast before going veggie so this is good for me]

snack- mixed green salad with dressing and a fistful of walnuts.

lunch- carrots sticks, celery sticks, hummus and some tomato soup

snack- popcorn

dinner- stir fried zucchini, tomatoes, peppers and mushroomswith beans and rice

I drink alot of water all day and jsut one cup of coffee in a day.

I wasnt hungry aside from just before mealtimes, I realise there is no fruit, Im not really big on fruit so some days I skip it

does that looks like a reasonable menu for a day?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It looks ok to me, but definitely low calorie. If you feel you're losing weight too quickly, just eat more. Maybe eat a few more high-calorie foods like whole grain bread and nut butter, dried fruit, etc. Or just eat larger portions of what you're already eating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Remember that being a veg*an doesn't just mean eating vegetables! :p Your menu looks pretty healthy but very low calorie as a poster before me said, I would say maybe try adding some protein in though. Nut butters are good, as are grains like quinoa and brown rice. If you eat dairy maybe try adding some yogurt, cottage cheese, or milk. Overall though, I commend you for your efforts to be healthier!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Your attempts are admirable - for extra cals I would add some beans or nuts to some of your more veggie based meals - this would give you a protein boost too. Or if you don't want to eat more, then try adding calories in the form of drinks - try tofu smoothies, etc, to get your count up.

Good luck!

pirate

·
Registered
912 Posts
Whether 8 pounds in a week is a lot does depend on your starting height and weight. Plus, you made a lot of diet changes all of a sudden. If you continue to lose at that rate, I'd be worried, but overall I wouldn't worry TOO much yet. I agree with what everyone else has said about diet. And don't forget sauces, too - you can add a nice peanut sauce (I can find them jarred in the Asian section at my grocery store) to your beans, rice and veggies, for a different flavor and a few more calories.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Definately add in some grains and beans. I have some whole grain tortilla wraps that are amazing, and I make bean burritos with kidney beans and taco seasoning. Also, lots of different kinds of beans mixed with light italian dressing makes a great dip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts