VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I've never been on a proper weight reducing diet in my life, and my weight has got a bit heavier every year as I age. I've never given a damn, but this year I've become fat. Which I'm defining as 28lbs heavier than I was a year ago and I look 7 months pregnant unless I hold my tummy in to the point it's impossible to breathe which rules out eating, sex and walking for a start.

I have to do something about it if only because none of my clothes fit, not even my knickers are comfortable and I hate clothes shopping. I have tops that are twenty five years old, I like them...

My husband is not hassling me, our doctor defines him as 'medically obese' so he is the last person to be unkind, and I think he'd like to lose some weight too, if it was painless.

I think this has happened because my food to exercise ratio has altered drastically the past six months, to the point of no exercise except housework. My hormones went beserk but I'm on meds now so I think it's time I started thinking about getting it together. So why do I think this is going to be as hard as giving up smoking? Going vegan wasn't hard for me at all.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What's knickers?

And excercise is a habit. If you stick with it and do it your body will miss it if you don't do it and remind you of that fact. Start with 10 minutes or so a day. Nothing big or strenuous. Just get moving. Walk around the block or something. Me, I'm with you 100%. I started getting serious 1/1. I'm about 50 over (ugh)!

Hang in there. I'll be posting in here frequently too. Why is it that just because your veg*n people think you're supposed to be thin?

Give me a break!!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Are you more concerned about the weight itself or the fact that you are eating more and exercising less? I'm concerned about my weight gain bc I know for sure that it is due to my incredibly sedentary lifestyle. Once I get fit as in, active, and eating right, my weight will go down to its natural state.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
knickers is panties. Oh there's an ancient thread somewhere on undies but I've forgotten the american for knickers.

My problems are many. Firstly I had a thyroid gland go wrong on me, and being doctor phobic left it 9 months before I went there for tests.

Meanwhile I packed in my two days a week gardening jobs which were pretty strenuous because I was so knackered and etc from what later turned out to be the thyroid problem. Then I packed in smoking and ate potato crisps and junk to compensate. Then I gave up on my six or more tins of diet coke a day, because I'd discovered the evils of aspartame and thought it might be causing all my symptoms. And started drinking fruit cordials instead by the pint, and that must've added a few more lbs. Then my summer season job finished, and I was walking about ten miles on that.

And I felt so ill I got mega depressed and ate a bit more to pass the time. It took my mind off the fact that I was too tired to walk from one end of the house to the other.

Anyway, all that is behind me, in a month or so my thyroid pills should have got my metabolism back to normal, I'm on happy pills and not in the least depressed. I don't care about the weight as such, and I actually look younger and prettier, as my wrinkles have got smoothed out! But I'm uncomfortable and too heavy to run. Or dig holes in the garden to plant trees. And I so do not want to have to go out and buy new clothes.

I think, I hope, that if I could shed what I've gained, I'd probably stay at the same weight. I haven't enough strength or energy to even think about going to a gym yet. But exercise I must.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
if hubby wants to get into shape too why not arrange an evening walk together. walk at a decently fast pace, enough to get your heartrate up but not fast enough that you might hurt yourself. and just add some distance now and then as you go along. and hey if he won't do it just to spend time with you and get in shape, offer to walk to the pub, sit for a drink, and walk back.

my mom used to powerwalk with a couple of friends a few years back, they'd walk about 1/2 an hour to a coffeeshop, sit and have a coffee and gossip for a bit, and then walk 1/2 hour back. she got in shape really quickly doing that and she had fun doing it cause it was with friends. more recently, she joined a gym but didn't lose nearly as much as she did with the walking, cause she didn't enjoy it.

also replace all your junkfood with healthier snacks and try real fruit juice instead of fruit-flavoured sugary drinks.

i realized today that i actually have a roll of fat above my hips, like frickin love handles. so i'm going to try to get into shape too, cause if my waist size goes up one more nothing i own will fit me and i can't afford to go shopping. sad part is i want to gain weight, just i'm gaining it all in one place, as flab, which is totally not what i had in mind.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Im trying to lose some weight too. Theres a foreign exchange student at my school from Holland and he said that us Americans were lazy when I asked him what does he think of the usa. But I guess that I am pretty lazy.
Anyways losing weight isnt hard but if you dont stick to your plan then as soon as you lose weight you will gain it back again. I lost 13 pounds over the summer (though it took me 2-3 months to lose it) You have to be patient. You cant expect results in a few days. Well all i did was stop eating at fast food places. and drinking pop and anything like potato chips or snack foods I dont eat anymore. Theres not much exercise you can do in the winter since its so dang cold. Unless you live in like australia or the south lol. But maybe try some kind of exercise that u think would be fun. im joining track this spring. hope i gave u good ideas and something u havent already heard before. hehe

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
yeah weight lifting is something i've been wanting to get into. i have no upper body strength. like, none. i can barely support my own weight with my arms, could never do monkey bars as a kid

but anyway, it's hard cause i can't lift much so i get discouraged easily. i'm going to try handweights i think and build up a little bit that way before i get into anything harder.

oh yeah, and leg raises. if you want an easy, lazy-assed way to tone around the stomach and thighs, do leg raises in the morning before you even get out of bed. and i'll say what i posted in another thread. if you work out hard for 20 minutes as soon as you get up in the morning and then eat a good breakfast, you can lose 3 lbs per day.

·
Registered
0 Posts
LF- Do what I call 'push aways'...you don't even need weights for that. Lean against a wall with your hands and push off. Or the side of a desk. That will build you up also and then you can progress to actually lifting.

Thanks for the excercise in the morning tip. I'm going to start riding my stationary bike in the morning instead of the evening. I think that'll boost my metabolism for the day.

·
Banned
559 Posts
LF - yes yes, pushups are easy (well ok not easy ) and cheap.
do the wall kind or the 'girl pushups' (like normal ones but you are on your knees). do 3 sets of 15 every day and you can see results pretty quickly.

another easy and cheap upper body muscle gaining thing to do is yoga - specifically sun salutes. i will do a poor job of explaining them, but you can probably buy a cheap video or look it up online. when i'm in a very motivated mood, i'll do 30 or so of those a day - they're a great work out and agan, you can see resultst fairly quickly.

free weights - again, not too expensive. get a couple of those (whatever weight you can do now - 3, 5, 10 , etc lbs). i have a 35 pound dumbell kinda bar thing that a friend left me (woohoo)- i think they are easy to make, you just gotta get a bar and some weights and screw things and there you go.

i have a lot of upper body strength, but i don't have as much defined muscle as i want. and that bugs me, cause i do everything i know of doing. and it sucks cause if i overdo it at all, i can't do arm stuff for days because of my damn volleyball injury from years and years ago.

dont get discouraged though....you'll work your way up !!
i promise. i was a scrawny litlte weakling and then i started weigh training and it was pretty cool. (i'm not saying you are a scrawny little weeakling by the way!)

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
thinking back on that post i'm not sure if he'd said 3lbs per day or per week. but miracle diets usually guarantee like 12 lbs per month, so in comparison it's about the same but won't make you sick. and if you keep it up you won't gain it back.

thanks for the tips, i'll try to start some muscle building excercises, my roommate has a full weight set (bench) in the basement waiting to be set up, meanwhile there are free weights that came with it so i can mess around with them

my mom had joined a women's fitness class and was disappointed that she didn't lose weight and quit. but she admitted she did lose inches off her waist. i tried to explain without success that she'd gain muscle while losing fat and her weight would probably not change much but her size and shape would. bah

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by LadyFaile

my mom had joined a women's fitness class and was disappointed that she didn't lose weight and quit. but she admitted she did lose inches off her waist. i tried to explain without success that she'd gain muscle while losing fat and her weight would probably not change much but her size and shape would. bah
Good point. That's when measuring one's body fat percentage might come in handy.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not weighing myself. It's too absurd, but today I got into a bra I was hanging out of two weeks ago. I vacuumed the entire house to olympic standards today, worked up a sweat on that at least.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts