VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
what's bothering me about this thread is i am sensing that there is some...unhappiness about our bodies, and the shape of our bodies, that come naturally to us.

some of us are born with high metabolisms; that naturally means that we will be thinner.

some of us are born with low metabolisms; that naturally means that we will be fatter.

i am of the opinion that if you are eating a balanced diet, that provides you with the essential nutrients you require to be healthy, and your body maintains a certain weight and shape "no matter what", that is the shape that genetics has determined for you. and to try and force yourself to adhere to some other form, weight or shape that perhaps only our society and/or culture deems "correct" or appropriate, through rigorous eating and/or exercise routines, is almost like trying to fight nature, and will lead only to frustration.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
lol

i'm actually more or less comfortable with my body now, though i wasn't for a long time, but i still feel like i need to gain some weight to be able to wear the types of clothing i like on other women. let's face it, some styles are really only suited to one body type, and mine just ain't that type. i just really want to be able to wear what i want to wear and look decent in it. but i also want muscle because i'm sick and tired of having no upper body strength and having to depend on others all the time for any lifting or other things that require strength of any degree.

the average person can wrap their entire hand, finger to thumb, around my bicep.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Lady Faile writes:

===============

no i agree, weight training is the way to go. why would you want to bulk up with fat when you can bulk up with muscle? mmmm muscles. it doesn't take long to see a difference really, and you only need to work at it for about half an hour a day a few days a week. working out the chest and legs for a while should show some improvement. you probably won't lose weight cause it sounds like you have very little fat to burn.

==================

This makes no sense. You will not bulk up with muscles if the only change you make in your life, is to start weight training. If you don't increase how many calories you intake, you will indeed lose weight. Nor can you make the assumption that by doing weight training, one will develop muscles. If you don't take in adequate proteins, your body will convert the muscles you have into fats and carbohydrates, that it will need to supply the energy needed to lift or move the weights.

The only way to increase body weight is to eat more, or exercise less.

All weight training does is determine whether, if you increase the total amount of a balanced food intake, whether the additional food will be converted to muscle tissue, or fat deposits.

Again weight training alone, without a concomitant change in diet, will result in weight loss, not weight gain. If you are large and fat, it will result in fat loss. If you are skinny, it will result in muscle loss.

If you are large and fat, and you continue eating the same way, and the same amount, some of the new protein you take in will be converted to muscle, but overall you will lose weight, not gain weight. You can convert muscle to fat, but not vice versa, so if you do weight training, and at the same time reduce your food intake, depending upon how much you reduce your food intake, you could very well lose fat without gaining any muscle (tho your ratio of muscle to fat will of course, be an increased numerical value). If you even more severely restrict your food intake, you could experience a muscle loss, as muscle is lost all by itself, over time, and if you don't intake more protein to use to replace it, you will experience a loss in muscle. We burn fats for energy, but we cannot convert them to muscle, to replace the muscle that is lost simply as a result of time.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I am happy about my body. There is no point in being unhappy about it. But that doesn't mean that if i had a choice I wouldn't prefer a body that I thought would be a preferable kind.

I am perfectly happy with my inguinal hernias and brain damage. That doesn't mean that if I had a choice, I wouldn't prefer to have all my brains, and to have guts that kept out of my scrotum -- provided that having my preferences wouldn't mean having to sacrifice something else. In other words I wouldn't want to have guts that kept out of my scrotum, if that meant having a chronic groin infection around a surgically implanted gut-catcher mesh.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Kreeli writes:

===========

to try and force yourself to adhere to some other form, weight or shape .. through rigorous eating and/or exercise routines, is almost like trying to fight nature, and will lead only to frustration.

==============

It is quite possible to make changes in shape, within certain limits. Also, the range of limitation varies from individual to indiviudal; it is genetic.

For example you can add musle mass or bone mass by stressing them. They grow in response to stress, but in some people they respond more quickly or to a greater degree, in response to stress.

Androgens that control secondary sex characteristics allow males to, generlly, respond more quicky and to a greater degree, to muscle stress, by building more muscle. It is indeed damage to muscle that occurs, and scar tissue that forms. Females can do the same amount of weight lifteing and generally not grow as much new muscle. There is also a considerable difference from male to male and female to female. And in fact some females will put on more muscle than some males. But statistacly males put on more muscle.

The limits to which muscle will grow can be altered by making body alterations using various ingested or injected substances. Injected androgens can have quite a noticable effect in enabling anyone to have a greater upper limit on how much their muscles will grow in response to stress. At the cost of organ toxicity, and organ changes, if use more than sparingly.

But outside of using such substances, or surgery, there is still a noticable amount we can change our bodies -- simply by dietary changes combined with resistance training. You will have to continue adhering to an altered diet and altered exercise program in order to adhere to an altered shape. But if you are willing to make "permanent" changes in diet and exercise, you can experience "permanent" changes in body shape. Though not completely, as in males particularly, adrogens that allow muscle increase in younger men, may decrease in older men, and even if they keep the same diet and exercise routine, they will tend to increase in weight and convert muscle to fat, as their adrogen output decreases.

Yes, both males and females have male hormones and female hormones. Sometimes it is the relative amount that differs, rather than the particulars of which hormones are present.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I gained about 8 pounds this past year.
I lost 15 when I turned vegan 3 years ago. I gained because I was inundated with schoolwork and had no time to do my exercise. This year is looking to be the same way. Damn it all. I want to weigh 110 again. Poop.

I found that once my body became used to my diet, I could maintain a healthy body weight. Give it time, I say.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
OK, everyone has mentioned weight training, and here is the way to do it. And, i'll be honest with you, it's your distance walking that is actually keeping your weight down. Yes, it is. I promise you, it is.

Now, most of us are busy people, so working out, or finding time for it is difficult. I highly recommend "hardgainer" or "high intensity" training. It's made for body types (and metabolisms) like yours. My fiance had a similar situation. He was 5 feet, 7 inches and weighed 118 lbs. Today, after 7 years of consistant training, he's a lean, mean 165-170 lbs. He is an omnivore, but it's not necessary to be one. He is dairy free, and eats meat, just for clarification.

Now, our/his basic work outs started out like so:

Twice a week:

day one:

Squats

bench press

row

calf raises

weighted crunches

day two

dead lifts

chin ups (or pull downs, depending upon whether or not you can do chins)

overhead presses (military press)

side bends

pulley crunches

Now, hardgainer method is such that, you move as much weight as you can in only a few reps (10 to 12 reps). You do a warm up set (about 4 to 6 reps at a much lower weight), and then two regular sets at the highest weight you can manage. Eventually, you'll work up to what they call "working to failure" meaning you put as much weight on as you can and you attempt to rep to twelve. sometimes, you only make it to 4. you "fail" but never worry, you're getting stronger and more muscluar.

The average "hard gainer" work out takes roughly 30-45 minutes a day. There are even one day routines that you can do, as some people only have 30 minutes a week to dedicate to this sort of high intensity training.

Your dietary needs will change too. It's likely that you already have high caloric needs. Well, increase your caloric intake. Use fresh, 100% juices (fruit and vegetable), soy protien powder, nuts and nut butters, seets, and whole and sprouted grains. If you feel comfortable consuming eggs, consume them. Lots of tofu, seitan, soy milk, legumes of various sort.

For added help, check out Hardgainer.com. They're not a vegan web site. Most of the people there are not vegetarian orvegan. But, my fiance Ryan Rasmussen and his mentor will help you out if you look for him specifically. He'll share with you until the cows come home (for ever). I get endlessly bored with it.
but of course, he gets endlessly bored with yoga, so there.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
also to relate to what kreeli said:

i think that it is both true and false. I think that a great measure of it is true. There are many people who are very unhappy with themselves, their bodies, and will subject it to all kinds of torture. And there are those who use excuses to remain unhealthy ("i'm big boned", for example).

But, there are also those who enjoy exercise of certain types, or diets of certain types, even if they do seem extreme to other people. For example, i LOVE being vegan and find it to be interesting and fun. Most people consider it an extremely rigorous diet that is annoying at least and frustrating at best. I LOVE todo yoga every day. I practice a particularly rigorous form of yoga. many people think that i'm crazy to do and enjoy the form of yoga that i enjoy. Benefit--i look great and i'm both strong and flexible.

my fiance enjoys doing his rigorous work outs. he loves calculating his weights and his food intake and muttering to himself about how to improve. he loves the changes to his body that he's made. I think that he loved his body before too, but he wanted to try a new, more balanced form of exercise (he was a competative distance runner for many years, and when he tried weight training to help him heal an injury, he was hooked!). He took up weights and triathlon training, and then ultimately found that he enjoyed the weight training and it's benefits more than the triathlon stuff. But, to each their own.

So, i think kreeli is right, to a certain extent, about many people and how so many of us have self-loathing in mayn ways. But there are others who are interested in these things, the changes that they bring, and how they appear to themselves. We must be mindful that we do not always read or know the minds and hearts of others, and should seek to accept people as they are--whether or not they are doing something for a "good" reason.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Those of us who are not already quite familiar with weight training have no idea what any of these terms mean.

Squats

bench press

row

calf raises

weighted crunches

dead lifts

chin ups (or pull downs, depending upon whether or not you can do chins)

overhead presses (military press)

side bends

pulley crunches

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I am 5 feet 11 inches tall and weigh 142 pounds. I have been near this same weight for the last 25 years. It 2 pounds more than I weighed when I graduated from highschool. I initially went up to 170 pounds by the time I was about 20, then down to 110, for about a year, and then I decided to go back up to 140. My current weight is between 138 and 146. It can be 139 one day, and 2 or 3 days later be 145, and then 2 or 3 days later go back down to 139.

In the gardening season, my exercise consists of walking, and walking pulling a cart behind me, filled with various things, and lifting huge amounts of plant matter and compost, with a garden fork or shovel, moving it from one place to another. I spend maybe about 3 hours a week doing forking or shoveling pre-compost or compost. During the winter I take an occaisional 1/2 hour walk, maybe once a week. The change in exercise has no effect on my weight. I stay a precise 142 plus or minus 4 pounds.

This garden season I have not been gardening. But my weight did not change one iota. It still varies the same way, from day to day, between 138 and 146. I am certain that no matter what exercise I were to do -- unless I intentionally spent time thinking over how I was going to get more food, and made a point of eating it -- my weight would not increase beyond the same 142 plus or minus 4.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
I remember the 10 years or so that I swam 3 days a week, 40 minutes a day, 3 months per year. My weight did not vary one bit. Nor was there much of a change in the appearance of my body. I simply became able to swim longer distances at the same number of miles per hour, and become the same or less tired and worn out, when I finished.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
To me, my weight has nothing to do with how much exercise I do. It is all a matter of how much food I can get.

I could easily go up to 170 -- if I wanted to. Or go down to 110 -- if I wanted to But I've decided to be 142, so that is what I am.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
unfortunately i'm guilty of succumbing to those fascist beauty standards
. I have a weight i like and even though i always, always exercise (because i enjoy it) i find if i budge a lb then i watch what i eat very close. it's really annoying.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Kreeli writes:

==================

i think soilman sounds so...hot

==================

Well, I'm glad you think I'm hot.

You're the second person today to think I am hot. While I was waiting outside the supermarket for the taxi to pick me and my grocery bags up, and bring me home, a rather attractive young woman pulled up to the curb in her car, got out, noticed me, took a long look at me, asked me if I was alright, said that she thought I didn't look well, mentioned that older people sometimes feel ill in this heat and, gesturing with her cell phone, asked me if I wanted her to call an ambulance for me.

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
Maybe I should have said "if you get in the ambulance with me and take your clothes off," but I wasn't thinking too fast at the time.

Then again, that's probably exactly what the last old man she thought might be in urgent need of medical care, said to her.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Soilman, that would have been a very rude and offensive thing to say!

I don't really understand why a person needs to weigh a certain amount. Isn't it more important that the weight is muscle, and not fat? What's the big deal with having to weigh enough?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
<< Soilman, that would have been a very rude and offensive thing to say! >>

And suggesting he needed an ambulence isnt offensive??

21 - 40 of 89 Posts