VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend is frying wings, so I am bringing tofu to throw into the fryer first that I can also toss with wing sauce. But beyond that I am having a brain fart as far as what else to bring that I could share but would be satisfying for me to eat all weekend if there are no vegetarian friendly foods available. I guess fruit of course...and veggie burgers and veggie hotdogs...but a dish I could make??? HELP! lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
make a big batch of the Roasted Corn and chili that I posted in the recipe section, it has always been a big enough hit at parties when I bring it that now the meat eaters are actually looking for it at functions.

to sum it up.
this is a triple batch.

spread three 16oz cans of drained corn on a cookie sheet and oil lightly with virgin olive oil.
Preheat oven to 400
While oven is preheating
cut up three medium size onions and put in a pan with a bit of olive oil.
Cut up about 15 fresh garlic cloves and put in with the onions, heat on med high until the onions just start to go soft (clear)
put 4 teaspoons ground Cumin and 2 tablespoons of chili powder in the onion garlic mix and stir around until well blended. (even coating on onions and garlic)
drain three cans of black beans and dump them in, mixing it with the onions and garlic,
put three cans of the diced tomato with chili peppers in, drain 1 and dump the liquid from the other two in the pan.
Mix it up and turn the heat down to a simmer then cover the pan.

While that was going on the oven should have come up to temp, when it does, put in the corn and let it roast for about 10 minutes, the stir it around trying to flip it so the other side of the kernels are now up. let that roast another 10 minutes.

when the corn is done mix it in the pan with the other ingredients and let it simmer for at least another 15 minutes.

This can be cooled and reheated without any loss of quality.

Not being vegan, I put it in a bowl then I like to add a bit of shredded cheddar to the top of it and then a small plop of sour cream on that.

anyway, thats the triple recipe, the amount of cumin and chili powder is reduced when you go to a double or triple, Ive found it to be too over bearing if you triple the spices too.

To make just one,
use one of everything I mentioned, dont drain the tomato. use 2 teaspoons of Cumin and 1 table spoon of the chili powder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
I like the chili idea. It would be delicious served on a hot dog or burger and eaten with veg cheese and sour cream, chopped onion and jalapenos, and corn chips or crackers later.It would definitely be something to be enjoyed by everyone.
Baked beans would also be nice and satisfying. Either of these will be something that will taste even better on the second day and could easily be reheated.
You can also chop up veggie dogs and add them to the beans for beanie wienies!

or:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7426.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=19910.0
veg this:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

Good luck! Hope you have a fun weekend.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

Well yeah, lol.

You can make your own though.
See, I refuse to try to convince people to step away from the roasted decayed flesh and pick up some veggies, it only serves to start an argument.
I go after it by offering great tasting veggie style foods that people will like. I figure if they like it, and have it even once a week or whatever, Ive got them to cut out at least some meat. maybe they will decide to stop totally on their own.
Argue with them and the next time you go to a function they are likely to have a whole live cow hanging over the fire pit just to watch your reaction.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I like the chili idea. It would be delicious served on a hot dog or burger and eaten with veg cheese and sour cream, chopped onion and jalapenos, and corn chips or crackers later.It would definitely be something to be enjoyed by everyone.
Baked beans would also be nice and satisfying. Either of these will be something that will taste even better on the second day and could easily be reheated.
You can also chop up veggie dogs and add them to the beans for beanie wienies!

or:
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7426.0
http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=19910.0
veganise this:http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

Good luck! Hope you have a fun weekend.
dont forget to chop up some red onions and put them in the beans.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,368 Posts
let me once again point out,
This is not my own recipe for the roasted corn and black bean chili
I got it from a veggie recipe web site and everyone has loved it so far. Not one person has disliked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

See, I refuse to try to convince people to step away from the roasted decayed flesh and pick up some veggies, it only serves to start an argument.
I go after it by offering great tasting veggie style foods that people will like. I figure if they like it, and have it even once a week or whatever, Ive got them to cut out at least some meat. maybe they will decide to stop totally on their own.
Argue with them and the next time you go to a function they are likely to have a whole live cow hanging over the fire pit just to watch your reaction.
I couldn't agree with you more. The most success I've had with the meat eaters has been by cooking up hearty, satisfying grub!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
You guys are making me crave beans and weenies now, lol thanks! If you're bringing a cooler or will have access to a fridge breakfast casserole items would be good, eggs or tofu, peppers, onions, cheese, hash browns, etc. I like mine with salsa and sour cream on top. Also, lentil sloppy joes always go over well for me with guests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrealeeanne View Post

You guys are making me crave beans and weenies now, lol thanks! If you're bringing a cooler or will have access to a fridge breakfast casserole items would be good, eggs or tofu, peppers, onions, cheese, hash browns, etc. I like mine with salsa and sour cream on top. Also, lentil sloppy joes always go over well for me with guests.
Great idea!

I added bbq sauce to a batch of lentil sloppies and served it over huge baked potatoes with all the usual trimmings. The meat eaters loved it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,299 Posts
Now I'm craving baked beans and cornbread...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post

make a big batch of the Roasted Corn and chili that I posted in the recipe section, it has always been a big enough hit at parties when I bring it that now the meat eaters are actually looking for it at functions.

to sum it up.
this is a triple batch.

spread three 16oz cans of drained corn on a cookie sheet and oil lightly with virgin olive oil.
Preheat oven to 400
While oven is preheating
cut up three medium size onions and put in a pan with a bit of olive oil.
Cut up about 15 fresh garlic cloves and put in with the onions, heat on med high until the onions just start to go soft (clear)
put 4 teaspoons ground Cumin and 2 tablespoons of chili powder in the onion garlic mix and stir around until well blended. (even coating on onions and garlic)
drain three cans of black beans and dump them in, mixing it with the onions and garlic,
put three cans of the diced tomato with chili peppers in, drain 1 and dump the liquid from the other two in the pan.
Mix it up and turn the heat down to a simmer then cover the pan.

While that was going on the oven should have come up to temp, when it does, put in the corn and let it roast for about 10 minutes, the stir it around trying to flip it so the other side of the kernels are now up. let that roast another 10 minutes.

when the corn is done mix it in the pan with the other ingredients and let it simmer for at least another 15 minutes.

This can be cooled and reheated without any loss of quality.

Not being vegan, I put it in a bowl then I like to add a bit of shredded cheddar to the top of it and then a small plop of sour cream on that.

anyway, thats the triple recipe, the amount of cumin and chili powder is reduced when you go to a double or triple, Ive found it to be too over bearing if you triple the spices too.

To make just one,
use one of everything I mentioned, dont drain the tomato. use 2 teaspoons of Cumin and 1 table spoon of the chili powder.
Wonderful recipe!! Thank you - i will try it tomorrow for football partay...
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top