VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
artisan vegan princess
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi! i'm izzy & i recently became vegan a week ago after watching a video on youtube called something like "101 reasons to become vegan". it completely altered my train of thought on the dairy, meat, and any other animal product industries out there. i'm so happy to have made the switch, and it has been fun and easy for me. i basically turned vegan overnight, so the next morning i told my parents i wanted to go vegan, told them why, and they immediately took me to whole-foods for some exploring! my family decided to go non-dairy shortly after. anyways i'm so excited to advance in this lifestyle and i still need to find alternatives for many of my usual purchases like soap, makeup, toothpaste, etc. if anyone could offer me advice for beginning this journey it would be greatly appreciated!
:bobo:

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Welcome to Veggieboards and congrats on your decision to go vegan, you rock! :rockon:

Leaping Bunny is a great site that has lists of tons of cruelty free household and cosmetic products: http://www.leapingbunny.org/

Reactions: waterbunni

·
Vegan since 1991
3,667 Posts

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Hi waterbunni and welcome! How awesome is that that your family is so supportive and helpful! Give them an extra hug from me will you?

I just mentioned this on another thread, but I found a few books very helpful for learning how to meet my nutritional needs as a vegan:

"Becoming Vegan: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Plant Based Diet" by Brenda Davis, RD

"Vegan for Life: Everything You Need to Know to Be Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina

I also read lots of vegan blogs and cookbooks (libraries are getting better and better at stocking a lot of vegan cookbooks) to learn what food staples to keep around and basic recipes etc. I LOVE making pancakes and there are a TON of vegan ones, and I also love to eat healthy whole food meals too. The key for me personally has been to keep an open mind and try everything and not be too restrictive, but keep it relatively healthy. Cost is a factor for me, and beans, rice, oats, and some fresh/frozen fruits and vegetables are relatively inexpensive. For plant milks, soy milk is the least expensive and probably has the biggest nutritional bang for your buck. Almond milk is becoming more popular too and not as expensive as it used to be. I love that I can occasionally buy vegan mayonnaise at mainstream groceries now...Just Mayo is an eggless vegan mayo that is awesome! And I can find them in a lot of stores like Target, Seven Eleven, the Dollar Store...

If you can't afford to replace everything (toiletries, leather etc) right off the bat don't feel bad or like less of a vegan. It can take a while to replace items. Use up what you have unless it makes you uncomfortable to do so. I have some old silk blouses and scarves to local churches with clothing drives and so on. I recycled some harsh cleaning stuff by bringing it to my city's waste management facility. They have a program where you can bring that stuff to a room there and others come and pick out stuff to use for free. I keep my cleaning supplies simple...lemon juice, vinegar, washing soda, essential oils (tea tree, lavender, peppermint). I also use Kirks Castile soaps, Dr. Bronners soap, Planet Earth dishwashing liquid. Kiss My Face has some great toothpaste and floss products. They even have sunblock. A little goes a long way with all that stuff.

I also like to use "Vegdining" and "HappyCow" apps and online to find stores and restaurants in my area that have vegan friendly food and other items.

I wish you the best in your transition! Hope to see you around!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Izzy, I'm only 2 weeks into my own journey as a vegan, and have found this site and the people on it a great help! I use No-Ad sunscreen which doesn't have a leaping bunny (that I noticed), but was recommended to me on this board and I made my own bug spray with essential oils, vegetable glycerin, witch hazel, and boiled water. I also use Dr. Bronners soaps and Seventh Generation dish-washing liquid (not dishwasher safe). My toothpaste is all natural and vegan from a specialty store in my area. I haven't made it to replacing other cleaning products yet. Like Naturebound said, don't worry about replacing things all at once. Use what you have if you like and, in the meantime, research what your new product will be.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wow great news! A little over a month into my journey - doing very good on the food part but realize it will be a never ending journey of knowledge for us...especially for the products that we modern humans use.

Here is a link to a website I have found very helpful. The man behind it is amazing and is personally responsible for my transition, along with many many thousands of others around the planet!
http://www.adaptt.org/

·
Lifelong vegetarian
2,617 Posts
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
:hi: W e l c o m e ! :hi:
:hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:
-
-
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
6,609 Posts
Welcome! I've been vegan for five months and vegetarian for seven years before that. You have found the right place for support! Don't hesitate to ask for advice. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it gets easier.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi! Ive been a vegan for a month. I started a blog to help me get help as well as give it. Check it out: venusvegan.wordpress.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts