VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
11,550 Posts
ok, seeing as nobody else has commented yet, i'll try:

its quite a clean and modern looking site- which is good- i hate cluttered sites!

i might change the font for the 'home, profiles, photos, etc' to a more modern, simple, sans serif font (one without the little flicks on the edges of the letters) and make the font itself slightly smaller, and embolden it if neccesary.

your text is really nice and clear and easy to read, your information is precise and not waffly, but still friendly, and its easy to find what you want to find (like gig lists) - which is really positive too!

i've also noticed you have gone for clean and simple (which i think is great) in style for layout and text, etc, but have added the more busy (is it wood veneer?) surround to the menu items. I'm not sure how i feel about the different style there. its kind of like having a modern ikea furnished living room and adding a victorian dining room chair to it, if that makes sense. i'm also not sure if the wood/orange/brown- ness of it goes as well as somethign else might, with the very pale pink colour that you've used to surround your logo, and behind your text.

Your front page photos are really nice and clear and smart looking and the other ones in the gallery section create a friendly feeling- like family snapshots, but also show your stage presence.

i think it'd also be worth getting some quotes from satisfied customers (landlords, people in the adience) and maybe reviews from local newspapers on your performance, saying how great/loud/profesional/crowdpleasing/reasonable priced you are as a band, in order to sell you more to potential bookers/people who can give you money who might be browsing yoru site.

on one of my two browsers my screen settings mean all i see without scrolling down the page is the logo, and down to the artists chins, and that the menu items above the artists shots are squished over two lines. this annoys me cos when i click to go to see 'the gig guide' i see exactly the same page, until i scroll down the page a bit.

i know this is down to my browser settings, but i think if you haven't done so already, it might be worth looking at your site on as many different browsers at a range of page size settings as you can, to see how this affects how your site looks- not everyone has their settings the same, and you want the site to look professional to as many different people as you can, right?

please don't take any of this personally- i'm not a webdesigner or anything, lol- i hope it doesn't sound harsh, cos its a nice, functional site- i just pick at little things and am very anal about layout stuff!

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

ok, seeing as nobody else has commented yet, i'll try:

its quite a clean and modern looking site- which is good- i hate cluttered sites!

i might change the font for the 'home, profiles, photos, etc' to a more modern, simple, sans serif font (one without the little flicks on the edges of the letters) and make the font itself slightly smaller, and embolden it if neccesary.

your text is really nice and clear and easy to read, your information is precise and not waffly, but still friendly, and its easy to find what you want to find (like gig lists) - which is really positive too!

i've also noticed you have gone for clean and simple (which i think is great) in style for layout and text, etc, but have added the more busy (is it wood veneer?) surround to the menu items. I'm not sure how i feel about the different style there. its kind of like having a modern ikea furnished living room and adding a victorian dining room chair to it, if that makes sense. i'm also not sure if the wood/orange/brown- ness of it goes as well as somethign else might, with the very pale pink colour that you've used to surround your logo, and behind your text.

Your front page photos are really nice and clear and smart looking and the other ones in the gallery section create a friendly feeling- like family snapshots, but also show your stage presence.

i think it'd also be worth getting some quotes from satisfied customers (landlords, people in the adience) and maybe reviews from local newspapers on your performance, saying how great/loud/profesional/crowdpleasing/reasonable priced you are as a band, in order to sell you more to potential bookers/people who can give you money who might be browsing yoru site.

on one of my two browsers my screen settings mean all i see without scrolling down the page is the logo, and down to the artists chins, and that the menu items above the artists shots are squished over two lines. this annoys me cos when i click to go to see 'the gig guide' i see exactly the same page, until i scroll down the page a bit.

i know this is down to my browser settings, but i think if you haven't done so already, it might be worth looking at your site on as many different browsers at a range of page size settings as you can, to see how this affects how your site looks- not everyone has their settings the same, and you want the site to look professional to as many different people as you can, right?

please don't take any of this personally- i'm not a webdesigner or anything, lol- i hope it doesn't sound harsh, cos its a nice, functional site- i just pick at little things and am very anal about layout stuff!
I have tried it in different browsers and with different resolutions, the problem is how to make it not look empty at the top in higher resolutions. I didn't think of the design as particularly modern looking (webpages could have looked like that since the Internet was first created, I could make a design look nearly identical in Netscape 1.0, though some of the pages wouldn't be layed out quite as neatly) what do would you suggest instead of the wooden look buttons. Changing the font on the buttons is something I'll try though.

I don't take anything constructive badly, I'd get annoyed if someone just replied saying it was crap or something like that but you've been helpful so thanks. As for not being a web designer, that was the idea, I've posted on web design forums about it but other people's opinions can be helpful, some web designers get too technical (I don't mean I don't understand what they say, I mean it's good to know what someone that hasn't got a clue how a page is designed but would see the site thinks)

Anyone else?

·
Banned
10,763 Posts
It wasn't instantly obvious that this was a site for a musical performance troupe, a "band" if you will. I saw the name, Defined, and photos of people -- so far, maybe it is a touring theatre group? -- "DEFiNED got together through a common interest in creating covers..."

Covers? Maybe it is graphic arts firm, that designs bedclothing? Pillowcases?

Oh, never mind -- it is better on the home page. I was looking at the profiles page.

A menu that somehow highlights the item that corresponds with the page you are on might be a good idea. Or put the page name prominantly on the page, so you know if it is the home page, the profile page, the photos page, or what.

"... that not too many other acts perform..." Oh, acts, maybe it is a specialty theatre group, like a comediy act...

"Our aim is to perform material which is a refreshing change to the classic cover band..." ah, finally, I see the word "band." But -- the correct preposition here is from, not to. And preferably you should say "refreshing change from that of [but not emphasized] the classic cover band."

I like the layout. Tho the wood for the menu items does seem a little bit too library, den, cozy nookish, for a pop music group. Nice profiles.

I'd like to hear some sound clips. And maybe one cut that is a full cut. In high quality format.

If I shrink my window left-right, the "credits" menu items moves down a line. I don't like the way it looks when it does that. Maybe you could put the whole thing in a box that prevents this shift? Allows it to scroll of screen if the window shrinks in width? I think I know how to do it, by the way. Or shrinks their size, so that they fit without going to another line? Or simply require you to widen the window to see the whole menu?

·
Banned
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't the address definedband.co.uk and the title DEFiNED THE BAND give it away? Point taken though, maybe we'll alter the wording a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts