VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, we have a Weaning Off... thread for dairy and one for eggs; I think it's time to add to the collection with a thread to help us get off that highly processed, nutritionally stripped, high-glycemic evil white flour that's so prevalent in our foods. I truly think white flour and white sugar, along with animal products, are the Triumvirate of Evil in the American diet, from a health perspective.

I hate it when I eat something with white flour in it and I feel hungry again a mere 30-40 minutes later because of the sugar-insulin rush, but how am I going to replace my beloved ciabbata bread?

The other problem I have is the question of how much whole wheat flour is enough. There are a lot of "wheat" breads out there, but very few of them are even half whole wheat flour. I've tried 100% whole wheat and I don't like it. I'm thinking that maybe what I need to do is find some breads that are still less than 100%, but have more than the "regular" wheat breads.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I use a flour known as white wheat.

It is a whole grain wheat just like normal whole grain wheat but it is a lighter one.

Closer in texture and flavor to white flour but still has all its whole grain goodness etc.

Here is the brand and all that I use.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/f8216d5459b6db6fec717d920497a27d/miscdocs/whitewholewheat.pdf#search='white%20wheat'

I can use it in all my breads even my ones like Focaccia bread without any problems.

Red wheat umm not so much, I do not like red wheat

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
the best flours are sprouted grain flours. the rest generally have the same glycemic index as any fortified flour or regular, fine flours.

i'm learning to sprout, soak, and then grind my own flour to make bread, pancakes, etc. i find the sprouting difficult.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.