VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been vegan for a year, and at first my nails were great. Growing fast and very strong. Now, they are terrible! Weak, bendy, and brittle. Some are healthy but some aren't (it's about half and half.) I feel like I get enough protein, but I'm still kinda iffy on iron. I get my protein every day from lots of nuts, soy, whole grains, and beans (and other foods since nearly everything has at least a little protein) so I don't think protein should be a problem.

I do know that people put bad hair and weak nails together, but my hair is great; it doesn't fall out and it's strong and thick and grows very fast, so my hair isn't a problem at all. My nails are just very bad! Also, my mom has very bad nails as well. Could part of it be hereditary?

Please help me!

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
I have less strong nails too. But I also shed more hair...as for the hair, I'm not sure if it's the fact that I have more hair overall or if I'm missing a nutrient. My nails are slightly bendier than they used to be but they aren't that bad. I feel your concern though

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
i am 38. my whole life (vegan at 28, ate little meat for the 8 yrs prior) my nails have been rock hard. i had a crappy diet regardless of whether it was meat stuff or entire bags of chips while in high school--it was crappy. they have always been rock hard. i think it varies with the individual and a lot could be genetic yet none of the people in my family have hard nails--but many wouldnt know as they dont grow long ones like i do
i like mine long b/c i can paint them and i like them long for that. i just dont know, i do know i am done rambling!!!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everaspirit View Post

I have less strong nails too. But I also shed more hair...as for the hair, I'm not sure if it's the fact that I have more hair overall or if I'm missing a nutrient. My nails are slightly bendier than they used to be but they aren't that bad. I feel your concern though
I'm a guy but the longer my hair gets the more it sheds I find. I like my hair long but it's too long now. It goes down past my eyes. I'm gonna get it cut soon for work (I work in a kitchen) cuz it's starting to shed a lot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have great genes with hair and nails, but my job was killing my nails for a while so I started taking a prenatal every other day. Now my nails are awesome. Happened really fast too, now as long as I take a prenatal at least once a week my nails stay strong and long. I'm not sure what's in it to make that happen though.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nayrocks719 View Post

I feel like I get enough protein, but I'm still kinda iffy on iron. I get my protein every day from lots of nuts, soy, whole grains, and beans (and other foods since nearly everything has at least a little protein) so I don't think protein should be a problem.
Have you tracked everything to make sure you're getting enough? Try sites like www.fitday.com .

But:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

i am 38. my whole life (vegan at 28, ate little meat for the 8 yrs prior) my nails have been rock hard. i had a crappy diet regardless of whether it was meat stuff or entire bags of chips while in high school--it was crappy. they have always been rock hard. i think it varies with the individual and a lot could be genetic !
I agree with this. I have always had weak nails my whole life and my diet never made any type of difference.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks! I will definitely try fitday.com to see if I'm getting enough. But yeah, my mom's always had terrible nails. I really want to have long nails (unlike hers) because I like painting them :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts