VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
The KIDS do. The adults are lucky to get anything. Once there are no longer kids in the family under the age of 18, it's mainly an excuse to get together, eat potato pancakes, and give presents that would otherwise have to wait until birthday time. My sister took her son to India for 3 weeks last year as a college graduation present, and they brought some loot back to give as presents. I got a scarf and some jewelry.

·
Banned
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see any advertisements or commercials that in anyway reference Chanuka as the reason to purchase there products.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Joe View Post

I don't see any advertisements or commercials that in anyway reference Chanuka as the reason to purchase there products.
Yes, but many of them don't actually say "Christmas" either. They replace that term with "Holiday" so as not to offend anyone. I'm not saying every ad, but a great number of them.

I remember when my old roommate worked at a mall owned by the Westfield corporation. The year before they had given out little stuffed reindeer to the kids around Christmas time. Apparently reindeer are more associated with Christmas than other winter holidays, so they had to be "PC" last year. So, to avoid criticism, they gave out stuffed animals of... The Westfield Winter Wallaby.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

The KIDS do. The adults are lucky to get anything. Once there are no longer kids in the family under the age of 18, it's mainly an excuse to get together, eat potato pancakes, and give presents that would otherwise have to wait until birthday time.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy SF View Post

The KIDS do. The adults are lucky to get anything. Once there are no longer kids in the family under the age of 18, it's mainly an excuse to get together, eat potato pancakes, and give presents that would otherwise have to wait until birthday time. My sister took her son to India for 3 weeks last year as a college graduation present, and they brought some loot back to give as presents. I got a scarf and some jewelry.
8 days x 18 years = 144 present days = more total lifetime days of presents than christmas celebrating people can expect. You guys may have us...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm grateful to Jesus for more than just Christmas and the reminder to be kind and giving to others.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

pagan holidays are once a month.
Or even more, if you celebrate both monthly lunar holidays (full and dark) and also the quarter and cross-quarter solar holidays...

Pretty much solid holidays - I don't think even the Catholic feast days can quite top all the pagan holidays (they tried, though, I think).....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts