VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry, I have a feeling this is going to turn into a story.

My name is molly.
I'm one of those on again off again vegetarians and vegans.
I slip, eat some tasty meat because I maybe had a drink or 3, and say "this is awesome" why the heck not.
I'm a cook too. Cooks generally use meat and all its parts to make food do certain wonderful things. I spiral out of control. And I go on eating meat until I realize how gross it makes me feel and how bad I feel for the animals that gave themselves for me, and I go back to being a vegetarian again.

the past 2 years or so I was eating meat again. I was pregnant two times. I know that I could have remained a vegetarian but I was nervous all the time. I was nervous about going in an elevator while pregnant. So I ate meat because I thought the developing baby needed it.

Now my babies are miniature children and I feed them food. I am in charge. Its scary.

I have been watching one too many documentaries and reading too many articles and getting grossed out again. Then 4 months ago, I read an article that discussed the results of a study that found that over 1/2 the supply of US meat (at that time) contained Staph infection. That was it for me. I really think I'm done for good.

I'm transitioning to whole living as well. I have been for the past year. Shopping at farmers markets, organic food, and cooking/ baking from scratch.

I have a food blog and you can actually laugh and see the transition to mainly vegetarian recipes in the past couple months. I still cook meat for my family, I don't choose to eat it. But I might have a small amount if it is farm raised, free range, organic, and humanely butchered. Maybe.

I am working to transition my family. Thats actually why I am here. I need ammo. Help. Its not going to be easy.

It is nice to meet you all, I hope I get to know you all better. Thanks for reading my long story.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Hello and welcome!

·
Registered
8,743 Posts
Welcome!

You might check out this site about "humane meat:"
http://www.humanemyth.org

If you haven't seen it, you can also watch a movie called "Earthlings" for free on-line (Google video, YouTube, or the Earthlings site) that might give you motivation if you feel yourself wavering.

I hope you're able to find what you need here

·
Registered
982 Posts
Hello and welcome! I also "slipped up" on occasion over the 17 years I've been a vegetarian... my pregnancy being the big one. I mentally slap the sense back into myself and get right back to it. I think sometimes I struggle because my reasons for being veg had more to do with health. As I learn more of the ethical side of vegetarianism, it strengthens my convictions.

·
Give peas a chance
1,715 Posts
Welcome!

Having great recipes makes the transition so much easier. Before I became vegan, I thought it would be impossible because I would be giving up so many foods that I enjoyed, and I would eventually feel like I was being deprived and give up. But I made a commitment to finding new meals that I could enjoy just as much and that made a huge difference for the better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts