VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
I just saw this too, awful but not too surprising

While I do believe no abuse actually occurred on set that doesn't make up for what she suffered for years before. This is just another example of why exploiting animals for entertainment is wrong, even with the best intentions having that much power over another living being is dangerous. The filmmakers may have wanted to comment on animal abuse with their story and had good intentions, but by using an elephant who was trained with abuse they are just perpetuating the thing they are against. As the writer of the article said, it's either sick irony or just plain sick.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
sooooo sad but not suprising.....was reading about this in my local paper and its too awful for words.

peace

·
Registered
908 Posts
Woah, this is sick! Definitely not going to see that movie.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Woah, this is sick! Definitely not going to see that movie.
Me neither. And if the movie has some kind of an anti-circus message, I sure didn't get that from the trailer; seemed more like celebrating "the glory days of circus life" to me.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

Me neither. And if the movie has some kind of an anti-circus message, I sure didn't get that from the trailer; seemed more like celebrating "the glory days of circus life" to me.
i read the book a couple years ago and it definitely has an anti-cruelty message. that being said, what is being done to these poor beings for the purpose of entertainment is disgusting. even if the abuse didn't happen on the set, the fact that it happened at all is tragic. won't be supporting this film either.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Think I'll read the book then, it sounds promising, but definitely passing on the movie.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjesta View Post

Think I'll read the book then, it sounds promising, but definitely passing on the movie.
I loved the book, and saw the movie. I didn't see any glorifying of circus life; rather the opposite. I felt heartsick after reading the article, and deeply regret seeing the film. Should have known better.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
I'm glad this got posted, I was going to, and forgot to come into this forum.....I posted the article from ADI on my FB, and after people saw the article, said they wouldn't go support it, then one person on someone elses wall was like, "how is this any different than women or children getting raped in movies?" so then I had to do the whole spiel on sending messages to the film industry that people don't want to support animal abuse even if it was prior to the actual filming....everyone has already gotten paid, including the actors and Tai's owner....but it's still the point.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I did some work at an elephant sanctuary in thailand a few years back. saw videos of elephants being squashed into cages, tied, then beaten with sticks, metal hooks and stabbed with nails for days on end, until it would do what it was told. I realised then that elephants dont paint, or do tricks out of any level of creativity, fun or choice, its all about the fear of pain that those that "care" for them inflict on them. Animals should not be used for entertainment. Whilst it may appear all friendly on the surface. it never is. Whilst the handler may be patting it on the head with one hand, he will be sticking it in the ear with a 6" nail with ther other...

oh interesting point to notice, some elephants have pink patches of skin around their faces. This is actually scar tissue. In the wild this is subtle, from rubbing against trees etc. But in captive ones you will often see large patches on the front of the head and trunk, from carrying logs, and small spots around the eyes and ears from beatings...

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord View Post

I did some work at an elephant sanctuary in thailand a few years back. saw videos of elephants being squashed into cages, tied, then beaten with sticks, metal hooks and stabbed with nails for days on end, until it would do what it was told. I realised then that elephants dont paint, or do tricks out of any level of creativity, fun or choice, its all about the fear of pain that those that "care" for them inflict on them. Animals should not be used for entertainment. Whilst it may appear all friendly on the surface. it never is. Whilst the handler may be patting it on the head with one hand, he will be sticking it in the ear with a 6" nail with ther other...

oh interesting point to notice, some elephants have pink patches of skin around their faces. This is actually scar tissue. In the wild this is subtle, from rubbing against trees etc. But in captive ones you will often see large patches on the front of the head and trunk, from carrying logs, and small spots around the eyes and ears from beatings...

·
Registered
632 Posts
this is heartbreaking. Tai is so sweet and to know she suffered such cruelty makes me want to cry. i can't even watch the video.

both the book and movie are very anti-animal cruelty. and as others have mentioned, depicted the circus life (of this particular circus anyway) as horrific and cruel.

the book is excellent and highly recommended. the movie followed the book very well and is one of the best book-to-movie adaptations i've seen. however in light of this news, i can see where boycotting the movie is necessary to send a message about treating animals inhumanely. ironically, it would have been a great movie to see for the very same reasons.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrowthepig View Post

Have Trunk Will Travel are the same f**kwds that loaned an elephant to Banksy to paint pink 5 years ago in LA. Also, same elephant.
This sucks because I love Banksy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts