VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What on earth is water fasting? Why would you want to do any kind of fast for 5 days? (edit: 6 days! yipes!)

I don't believe in fasting but even those who do don't recommend doing it for more than 1-3 days.

I recommend that you see your doctor and get his or her advice about whether this is a safe thing for you to do.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Fasting on just water? Why would you do that? I've heard of juice fasts but never a water fast. How do you plan to get your electrolytes and other important nutrients?

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Now, now, VeggieBoarders! Can't you see that this is Sujan's first post? How about a warmer welcome!

Welcome to VB, Sujan! I hope your fast goes well.

Now, I do find it hard to believe that skarrlett and cookingVeg have never heard of a water fast before. Whether you agree with it or not is one thread, but to say you've never heard of it is quite a strong statement. Did you never study Gandhi in school?

I, for one, think this will be quite interesting. Whether or not I agree with fasting is not factored into that statement... I simply want to see how this goes. Sujan can be our fasting lab rat. Keep us posted Sujan!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend a water fast. I tried it for a day and got so dizzy I passed out, and threw up constantly. Fasts in general are a bad idea.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yep. It's similar to trying to run your car without any gas. Not a good idea 'cause your machine (body) doesn't get very far without fuel.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Given that water fasts can be dangerous (causing fainting, vomiting, abnormal electrolyte levels, etc.), I certainly wouldn't want to make Sujan "our fasting lab rat" as mikie suggests.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I water fast once a week. I eat dinner Sunday night and don't eat again until lunchtime Tuesday. I don't start feeling weak until late Monday afternoon and I just take it easy.

Before I started my weekly fasts 3 years ago, I was gaining a few pounds every year. I have not gained any weight since and I really feel better.

It seems to work for me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I once did a water fast for five days. It was quite some time ago but I do remember feeling a bit sluggish in the first couple of days, by the end of the third day the sluggishness was replaced by a feeling of calm, almost like an advanced meditative state. A nice calm flow of energy and feeling of wellness took over.

I believe a healthy person can go about forty days with out food, but only a couple of days without water.

Be careful coming out of your fast. I made the mistake of eating yogurt, toast and o.j. to end mine. I was as sick as a dog. I believe a clear veggie broth is a good way to reintroduce food. Then you can move on to fruits and vegetables.

Good luck and welcome to the boards.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I'm doing a juice fast right now, just two days though. I'm on my second day and feel pretty good. I've just been taking it easy. I have done water fasts before, and I liked that too. Every six months or so I get the urge to fast, I guess just as a means of cleaning out my system. I think it's fine to go for a few days every once in a while without eating solid food as long as you have a healthful diet the rest of the time and don't fast too often. Good luck with your fast!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mikie

Now, I do find it hard to believe that skarrlett and cookingVeg have never heard of a water fast before. Did you never study Gandhi in school?
Well.. obviously the term "water fast" is fairly self explanatory. However, I have never heard of anyone going on a water fast, nor have I ever heard the term.

An no, I didn't study Gandhi in school.. I was a sheltered catholic school girl.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Sujan, what is your pupose of water fasting, is it spiritual (congratulations!) or do you want to loose weight? Loosing weight would be a vain effort.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Water fasting is great! It's really hard for the first few days, depends on the person really, but after a while it is so terrific! I start feeling energized and clean after the 6th day usually.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Loosing weight? Nope, just a test of self will and peace due to the rest I will be receiving, I guess.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Great!

After coming back to normal amounts of food, see that you get an extra load of proteins (pulses, nuts, seeds, tofu), because that´s what you loose (somatically).

And now, good luck!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I wouldn't reccomend a water fast. I tried it for a day and got so dizzy I passed out, and threw up constantly. Fasts in general are a bad idea.

I think thats ridiculous. That's not a fast, thats 1 day without eating. Any healthy person can do that, and probably does it frequently without thinking about it, when your're having a busy day. Sounds like you were sick. Maybe you could open your mind and try it sometime, its a wonderful feeling.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.