Banned
5,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://uktop100.reuters.com/latest/M...10/default.asp

Quote:
McDonald's sues food critic in land of slow food

2003-05-30 20:14:39 GMT (Reuters)

By Christian Plumb

MILAN, May 30 (Reuters) - McDonald's has sued one of Italy's top food critics for raking its restaurants over the coals, but the critic says he has no intention of going back on saying its burgers taste of rubber and its fries of cardboard.

With the court case ongoing, McDonald's of Italy said on Friday the critic's comments were "clearly defamatory and offensive to McDonald's and to the more than 600,000 Italians who each day freely choose to eat in a McDonald's restaurant".

Critic Edoardo Raspelli, one of the top food personalities in a country that is home to a popular "slow food" movement, said he had received hundreds of emails supporting him against the fast-food giant.

"To me this looks like the usual, very American effort to destroy criticism and destroy people," Raspelli said. "I didn't defame anybody, not even their French fries."

McDonald's, which has 300 restaurants in Italy, said in a statement it hoped the judge would find in its favour and "award fair damages", without specifying a figure.

But a spokesman for McDonald's Europe said on Friday the company was hoping for a settlement out of court.

"We trust this matter can be resolved out of court and in an amicable way," spokesman Mike Love told Reuters in Chicago.

Raspelli said the chain was seeking 21 million euros ($24.86 million), the equivalent of what it spent on advertising in Italy in 2002.

At issue are Raspelli's comments in an interview with an Italian newspaper group in December, part of broader coverage of what was ailing the world's largest restaurant company, which last year posted its first-ever yearly loss.

Raspelli, who writes a regular column for newspaper La Stampa, oversees one of the country's top restaurant guides and appears weekly on television, said he had no intention of apologising.

"Nothing I said was offensive and so there's no need to apologise," he said. "Right now, McDonald's should be thinking of ways to get back the public's sympathy, not have it out with me."

Raspelli's lawyer Catherina Malavenda said that in a hearing on Tuesday the judge in the case had asked the fast-food chain and the food critic to look for ways to bury the hatchet.
Hmm, I had a McVeggie the other day and it was SO delicious, yum!!!

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
It's the going thing now, spill hot coffe, sue; get cold coffee when ask for hot, sue; get a good review when looking for loss in profits for a tax deduction, sue; get a bad review, sue.

Strange... I always thought their food looked like reheated overcooked strands of unknown origin meat that tasted like paste in between two buns with a waxy overtone - commonly served with soggy to rubbery potatoes ("french fries") and overly diluted pop to. Good thing I'm not a reviewer.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I tried the McVeggie the other day too and after returning the grilled McChicken they gave me instead and after returning the fries and soda they gave me (thought I orded a meal) I thought that the McVeggie was actually pretty good.

Its too bad their fries aren't vegetarian...

·
Registered
0 Posts
so not content with being the main contributer to obesity all over the world, is Mcdonald's trying to ban free speech as well??

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Looks that way. Sounds like a company seriously on the defense. That has to be a good thing.

I had another McVeggie 2 nights ago. It really is only so-so. If I have to have a fast-food veggie burger, I think I prefer BK.

Man, their restaurants are all dingy and depressing. (oops, don't want to get sued for saying that)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I don't know about the laws in Italy, but in the US, many states have "food disparagement laws".

The Oprah Winfrey case was an example of this. I am not sure, but her victory in that case, and the unlikelihood that these laws would be upheld by higher courts may have caused people to be hesitant to prosecute any one for violating them.

Suits like this are also called SLAPP's (Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation). Basically suing anyone who protests or otherwise causes trouble for a corporation. Even though they might not be won, they cause enough trouble for the offending party that they cease their protest. (and discourage others)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just FYI:

In the hot coffee case, please keep in mind that McDonalds was serving the coffee way over the normal temperature in order to keep people from getting refills. The woman who spilled the coffee on herself had 3 degree burns over her inner thighs, vulva and pubic area. She had to have several painful surgeries to address the wounds.

please read this:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

http://www.insuranceattorney.com/Richardson's_philosophical_meanderings/McDonaldsCoffeeSpill.htm

Keep in mind that the insurance companies are behind much of the "lawsuit abuse" propoganda. If the make plaintiffs out to be the bad guys, then they don't have to pay out large awards, even if the defendent is guilty of intentional wrong doing.

I know that this has nothing to do with this post, but I thought you might be interested.....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Thank you, EquiPro. There was a heated discussion here about that case before you joined VB. It's funny how it was over a decade ago and people still get angry about it, as if they personally were sued. *shrug*

Anyway, I'm suspicious of everything that comes from a fast food place, so I won't be ordering coffee or the McVeggie.

(I don't remember anyone suing because they were served cold coffee instead of hot.
)

·
Registered
412 Posts
McDonald's is horrible. They tried to put a local coffee shop out of business several years ago, and succeeded in forcing the shop to change its name. The shop's original name? McCoffee's. McDonald's claimed this was an infringement of their McCoffee trademark. However, the shop in question had been in business since 1976, long before McDonald's came to town, and the name of the shop was a play on the owner's name, McCaughey.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Didn't mean to bring up a sore topic. Just trying to make a point that people sometimes sue for preventable reasons. Like a friend of mine sueing Sears because his wife slipped on a socket that HE droped. Although an ex-co-worker also had a lawsuit where the store had water all over the floor without a wet floor sign.

I actually knew the details of the coffee, just look at it as even with normal temp coffee, who'd put a breakable cup between their legs/knees? That in itself wasn't the brightest thing in the world even though the coffee should've have been that hot.

As far as too cold coffee, that was just an example, havent seen it yet.

Despite what they say I doubt all of these are true (at least I'd sure hope not, although I've found some of the original articals in like Chicago Tribune, LA Times, NY Times, and local news... but I'm hoping those sources either didn't research it, or was just doing a comedy) this place has some interesting things: http://www.power-of-attorneys.com/st...on.asp?wacky=0

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I love it when I heard that there was a teen that sued McDonalds for making them overweight.

I was like.. geez, just dont go there.....

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Must... resist... overwhelming... urge... to ... post... about... lawsuits... over... self-stupidity

(aka, McDonalds sued cause woman spills coffee on herself)

·
Registered
6,902 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kat New

i hate maccas. but i will try the mcveggie if it is vegan... doubt it though... anyone know?
Just got off the phone with McD's to be sure about my answers.

The McVeggie is vegan. The patty is from Yves, which designed them vegan, just like the ones you can buy in the store, only not the same.
The buns do not have whey in them or anything like that, according to the nice woman I spoke to.

Also, the apple pie is vegan. I saw L-Cysteine (dough conditioner) on the ingredients list, so I asked about that, and it is synthetically produced.

The fries still have "natural" beef flavoring.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Thanks for calling Epski. Glad to hear confirmation that the burger is vegan. Hopefully they'll change their fries soon too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts