VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware of Grandma Utz' potato chips. I just had a snack fest and I probably gobbled 50 of these chips......and since I was bored I read the back of the bag, only then to notice that in the ingredients which I had just thought said "whole sliced potatoes slightly salted" or something like that.....apparently said..."cooked in lard." I can't believe I hadn't noticed that before.

Bleh, that explains partially why they were so addictive. Well, at least now I won't be eating them. I think that's a good thing in more than just one way o_o

EDIT: I am specifically referring to "GRANDMA UTZ HAND COOKED POTATO CHIPS." It even says on their product page "cooked in 100% LARD."

http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/p-34-...size-bags.aspx

Some other Lay chips I believe are vegan.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah, I like Utz usually because they have BBQ chips that are actually vegan, but when I saw this it grossed the hell out of me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to know, I have never head utz anything(didn't think they made anything else then nuts though) but I will steer clear and continue to read the label. Does anyone know if the lays baked are veg*n? my bag didn't have the ingredients listed.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexi View Post

Good to know, I have never head utz anything(didn't think they made anything else then nuts though) but I will steer clear and continue to read the label. Does anyone know if the lays baked are veg*n? my bag didn't have the ingredients listed.
I'm very certain that the regular Lays chips are vegan. The salt and vinegar I believe are too (they took the milk out of their recipe sometime last year, yay!) but the BBQ are definitely not. That's just in the U.S., though.

The Baked, I think there was some rumor that they were baked in chicken flavorings, so I tend to steer away from those ones. I'm not sure if they are, and they probably aren't, but I still wouldn't be surprised.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
Potato chips are indeed tricky. Many of the flavored ones have whey or chicken fat in them, I guess to hold the spices in place or something. Chips cooked in lard are so greasy anyway. Ick.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I do try to remember to check the labels, but I think we all get complacent sometimes especially with foods that should be "safe." This is a good reminder!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
~

·
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I just checked Kettle's website and none of their products use lard.
I'm specifically reffering to "Grandma Utz Hand Cooked Potato Chips." They specifically say they are cooked in 100% LARD. It even says so on the product page on the product notes. BLEH! Who knew potato chips could be that unhealthy...and gross.

http://www.utzsnacks.com/store/p-34-...size-bags.aspx

·
Registered
109 Posts
I stick to Lay's potato chips. They only have 3 ingredients, and they're very tasty, not to mention salty and fatty

I've also found some off-brands to contain Trans fat, which is quite alarming...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts