VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i used a bucket with a lid, and i changed the water every day. I just couldn't stand the smell. i find it much easier to just wash them with the daily load of laundry. use the right cleansers, make sure it's not with cdelicates, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
The Keeper scares me.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ceryna - can I ask why the Keeper scares you? I know that it looks kind of weird - remember that you trim the stem to a length that is comfortable for you. If you have used tampons before, it is SO much easier to get in and out and SO much more comfortable.

With the Keeper, there is no soaking, no washing, no messing. Put in (it takes all of a count of 3) and forget it. Take it out and dump it in the toilet, rinse it and pop it back in. I have very, very, VERY heavy periods, and on my heaviest day, I only dump it once in the AM and once in the PM. On the light days, I dump it once every 24 hours.

No smell, no leaking, no fuss, reusable, environmentally friendly and easy. Doesn't get better than that!

http://thekeeper.com

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
It scares me because I'm a klutz, and I'm afraid I won't be able to insert it properly. Plus, I'm a little nervous about the idea of having to take it out and rinse it in a public bathroom and then having to re-insert it.

^^;;

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have the same fears as ceryna. I'm scared I won't be able to insert it correctly. I don't wear tampons because they have always been uncomfortable. I like the idea of the keeper, I'm just afraid I won't be able to insert it correctly or remove it without hurting myself.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I hope that I can sooth your fears. First, you will probably never have to take the Keeper out in a public place. I can't imagine why you would. You can probably take it out in the shower the first few times so that you can get used to it.

Even though I am an expert at putting in tampons, the Keeper looked a little "weird" to me, too, BUT it is super easy to get in. You just fold it in half, making sure that the rim is moistened, and push. It goes right it. It is FAR more comfortable than tampons. I find getting it out very easy, too. You just grab it, smoosh it a little, and pull it out.

Remember, too, that they give you a 3 month guarantee, AND they have a super nice staff on the phone that can help you with any problems that you might have.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ceryna

It scares me because I'm a klutz, and I'm afraid I won't be able to insert it properly. Plus, I'm a little nervous about the idea of having to take it out and rinse it in a public bathroom and then having to re-insert it.

^^;;
EquiPro said it as well as I could have. I've used the Keeper for over 3 years now (I think it's four, actually... I've stopped counting), and I've never had to dump it in a public bathroom with the exception of times I was staying in one of those wimpy campgrounds with bathrooms. I was a little nervous about that, but it wasn't bad at all. You just wet a paper towel, take it in the stall with you, dump the keeper, wipe it off with the wet paper towel, and reinsert. Nothing to worry about at all.

*edited to be a little less crass*

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
For you ladies considering alternative products, check out http://www.motheranddaughters.com/ . They have great prices and the cloth pads they sell are really nice and much less expensive than gladrags or luna pads. LisaJaney will even custom make pads to your exact specifications. They also have a great price on the Keeper.

I don't have any affiliation with that site, I just think the ladies that run it are very nice and I'm all for supporting small entrepreneurial businesses (and getting a great bargin is a nice bonus).

·
Registered
91 Posts
you can make your own pads really easily. just use old flannel pajamas and old towels.. throw on a snap and you have a pad for dirt cheap.

i wash my pads by hand and dry them in my room. i do laundry once a month and i just throw them in there.

if you dont want to use the keeper but want a tampon replacement try sea sponges.

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by janette

if you dont want to use the keeper but want a tampon replacement try sea sponges.
sea sponges are dead animals.

They might be veggie, but surely not vegan.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I just wanted to note that my boyfriend was sitting next to me last night as I was checking on this thread. He took one look at the title and started saying "oh my god! no! you are not buying those!" hehehe

Good thing I use the Keeper, I don't think he could handle a bucket of pads soaking under the sink. Psst...no one tell him that I actually own some.

·
Registered
0 Posts
1vegan,

I always thought that sea sponges were plants! Oh dear, and I've been using them in the shower all this time. NOOOOOO. Sorry I steered off topic a bit guys.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
No one really knows what makes an animal an animal seeing that all rules that they've come up with have been broken by at least one species. There is life at the bottom of the ocean that uses no oxigen (it's not available) and no light (it's too deep). Yet they're living!

Sea sponges are definitely not like your average pet. They're certainly unconcious, and more plantlike than animallike.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Thanks for the link, Jess. I'm still wavering on The Keeper, but if/when I decide to try the washable pads, I'll definitely look into ordering from them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am considering buying either Lunapads or Gladrags, which is why I found and dragged up this thread. I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with both (e.g. Matchgirl), in order to help me decide which one might suit me better. I am planning to buy from www.eco-logique.com

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i use Glad rags and really like them. Didn't i say that?

i don't use tampons, never have, so i don't use the keeper or anything else. Even the smallest, most comfortable tampons were very uncomfortable for me, such that my very small vagina (ask my gyno--even she says it's smaller than most) would push it out. so, no keepers for me.

But, the glad rags are comfy and easy to care for. i've had mine for three years now. Actually, im using them right now too. so comfy. My initial cost was something like $49 for the lot of them (i think it's 6 or 8 pads).

21 - 40 of 47 Posts